Poll: Read OP.
Poll Options
View poll results: Read OP.
Acceptable.
45 19%
Acceptable, but they probably shouldn't.
99 42%
Not acceptable.
45 19%
Not acceptable, but I'm sympathetic.
45 19%
Voters: 234.
Page 1 of 4
Another thread so soon? Yeah, but I thought this was an interesting question.

It annoys me when something depressing happens someone gets annoyed because someone doesn't act in 'the right way'. For example, someone might appear completely untouched about the death of his mother, when in reality he soaks it all in and doesn't show those emotions in front of other people. He may react to it healthily by doing that though. He may write, play music or paint to help him get over it.

So we acknowledge that people get over things in their own manner.

But what about drinking? Some people get over things by drinking to excess. Some people shun on this, some people don't. Assuming that a said person only drinks to excess once or a few times and it doesn't hurt them in the long run, what's your opinion? Poll coming.

This isn't because of anything relevant to my own life, I thought it'd be cool to get opinions.

EDIT: Imagine the thing that they're getting over is a death.
Last edited by Craigo at Nov 28, 2009,
It depends on the person, if someone can get over something by drinking without becoming an alcoholic or hurting themselves/those around them, why not?
Not exactly what I'd call acceptable... maybe in some places.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Alcohol =/= Stimulant

Alcohol = Depressant
wen i ask they say that they fall into the habit smhw ........but nyways i think there is a connection smwhere. Now i being a teetollar will not give into this habit nyhw

FOR JUST £2 A WEEK, YOU CAN PREVENT THIS.
Quote by captaincrunk
It does hurt them in the long run.

It doesn't have to.

Oh, to clarify myself, this stated problem is a death or something. Not a problem to be solved, something to get over.
Quote by Craigo
It doesn't have to.

Oh, to clarify myself, this stated problem is a death or something. Not a problem to be solved, something to get over.

The method is a risk regardless. That doesn't make it bad inherently. Like I said.
Quote by el-ECTRO
Alcohol =/= Stimulant

Alcohol = Depressant

I don't think that really matters in this situation. Just because it's a depressant doesn't mean it makes you depressed.
Not my place to judge, so I voted acceptable.

However, it's not a GREAT idea. I don't see how you could get over issues simply by drinking.
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
tonight, i think for me its the right way.... my girlfreind just hates me in the moment.
I used to enjoy a little whiskey when I was feeling down, but I've given up alcohol and my depression has gotten worse. I've moved on to hydrocodone.
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
Quote by Craigo
Assuming that a said person only drinks to excess once or a few times and it doesn't hurt them in the long run,

Well, if that was actually the case, then no, there's nothing wrong with it. Hell, even I've done that before.

The problem is that alcohol is a depressant and usually only leads to feeling even more like crap, leading to drinking more, which just ends up tailspinning into a vicious cycle. Which is the part everyone looks down on.
I don't think so. I think drinking is only really appropriate in adult social situations. I'm so sick of 'partying'. The whole idea kind of turns me off. But anyway on topic!: I think that you should do your best to get over it on your on, in a sober state of mind so you can be really sure that you're actually getting over whatever you're getting over!

And then if you get over it, go have a victory beer with your friends! I don't think there's anything wrong with THAT.
Quote by Altitudinous
I don't think so. I think drinking is only really appropriate in adult social situations. I'm so sick of 'partying'. The whole idea kind of turns me off.

That can be an adult social situation.
It's not a good thing. It doesn't help you to get over anything, it just blocks out any feelings. Not good for your physical or emotional health
Quote by Matt-92
It's not a good thing. It doesn't help you to get over anything, it just blocks out any feelings. Not good for your physical or emotional health

It can be a refresher. Hedonism before picking yourself up and getting on with things in a realistic manner.
It's not really getting over things, it's more just temporarily ignoring them.
St. Mirren F.C
Champions of Renfrewshire Since 2006
SPL Survivors Since 2006
i don't accept it but i do feel for the people who resort to it.

in either case, destroying your liver is not a sure way to feel better about life. Even if you just do it for a week you could develop a seriously alcohol problem which doesn't go away and that is much much worse than being dumped etc.

edit: i forgot to mention. playing music, or writing or w/e can make someone feel better about things. alcohol is a depressant. the person will just feel worse and can spiral out of control. if i knew someone was dealing with a problem by drinking i would not shun them or hate them but try to help them if i could.
Quote by edge11
yeah im not at gc dude, i dont live there.

||=(|''''|''''|''''|''''|)>-----
Last edited by Wesseem at Nov 28, 2009,
I don't object to it really. I've drunk to get over sad events a couple of times in the last year, I probably shouldn't have, but there weren't really any adverse effects to others, or to me in the long run, so I don't see a huge problem.

Quote by diminishedtobme
Alcohol makes me more sad. Cocaine makes things better.

Combined is deadly and amazing in equal measure.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
I personally don't like drinking, but there are people I know that get over things quicker if they get drunk. Some of them will just vent and get everything out of their system, and some of them just need to have a great time and realize that whatever it was that got them down will pass.
Quote by Wesseem
i don't accept it but i do feel for the people who resort to it.

a) in either case, destroying your liver is not a sure way to feel better about life. Even if you just do it for a week you could develop a seriously alcohol problem which doesn't go away and that is much much worse than being dumped etc.

b) edit: i forgot to mention. playing music, or writing or w/e can make someone feel better about things. alcohol is a depressant. the person will just feel worse and can spiral out of control. if i knew someone was dealing with a problem by drinking i would not shun them or hate them but try to help them if i could.

a) Did you bother to read my post?
b) So you feel okay telling people that they're not being depressed in the correct way?

These are not rhetorical questions. Well, apart from (a), which you either didn't or ignored a vital detail. Feel free to respond to (b).
Quote by WaitWhat?
It's not really getting over things, it's more just temporarily ignoring them.

I reiterate, it can be a refresher. Short blast of hedonism before getting on with things realistically.
Quote by KeepOnRotting
I personally don't like drinking, but there are people I know that get over things quicker if they get drunk. Some of them will just vent and get everything out of their system, and some of them just need to have a great time and realize that whatever it was that got them down will pass.

Even if their time being drunk was awful, that can still help them.
Quote by Craigo
Even if their time being drunk was awful, that can still help them.

I guess, but I'm sure it'd be better if they had a good time.
I think 'acceptable' or 'not acceptable' is too clinical a way to look at it. We each make our own decisions however some are more or less advisable than others when it comes to dealing with something tough such as a death. If a friend were in that situation then I would advise them against drinking their sorrows away but if they chose to then I wouldn't tell them it was 'not acceptable' because that makes them sound like a naughty school child. It's a lot deeper than that.
Quote by CFH82
Ejaculate in MY moustache?!

Music is just wiggly air. Accept it or leave it.ಠ_ಠ
Quote by boycew02
I think 'acceptable' or 'not acceptable' is too clinical a way to look at it.

Why clinical? That's an awful word to use.

And I'm fine with that. It's either a) socially acceptable or b) not socially acceptable, and by your perspective. That's all that's being asked.
We each make our own decisions however some are more or less advisable than others when it comes to dealing with something tough such as a death. If a friend were in that situation then I would advise them against drinking their sorrows away but if they chose to then I wouldn't tell them it was 'not acceptable' because that makes them sound like a naughty school child. It's a lot deeper than that.

Then you're either 'acceptable but they shouldn't do so' or 'not acceptable but I sympathise'. Choose.
If they only do it a few times and it doesn't hurt them in the long run I can't see any problems. Even if it was harming them it would be questionable as to wether or not it was really anyones business.
When I'm depressed I'll have a drink with some of my buds and feel better about myself and wonder why the hell I was depressed in the first place. Acceptable.
I think it's acceptable. Usually drinking when i'm upset makes me feel worse, and would probably just cause me to end up sobbing all night, but sometimes if something really terrible has happened then that's what I need..
Quote by Craigo

I reiterate, it can be a refresher. Short blast of hedonism before getting on with things realistically.

Sure it can be a refresher but I personally think that dealing with your problems up front rather than putting dealing with them off till further notice would just be more sensible. Alcohol can make bad situations worse anyway as I have witnessed in the past few months after my Gran died.
St. Mirren F.C
Champions of Renfrewshire Since 2006
SPL Survivors Since 2006
To everyone who keeps bitching about alcohol being a depressant, do you ever wonder why people drink? It is a depressant in name, but it is an excitatory drug in effect. It also makes people more gregarious. People LIKE alcohol.

When you drink alone you don't drink hoping to become sadder, you drink to either pass out or deaden the pain. It usually works too.
Page 1 of 4