[Apologies for the very large photos btw]

An innocuous looking green bag. Wonder what could be in there...

There's a box. How bout we take a look...

A Colorsound Blue Fuzz Box!

Hand-built and beautiful sounding. A real classic crunchy fuzz sound. Sat down with Mr Macari who runs the company now and talked about it a fair bit before I bought it. Unfortunately the yellow tone-bender was out of my price range (but was astonishingly good) and the silver tone-bender had a different sound. Good, but not what I wanted. It was more of a 70's classic rock sounding pedal, very smooth with lots of sustain. I wanted some classic 60s sounding crunch.

Honestly the best fuzz tone i've heard in my life even for a pedal with such a simple one-knob design. Plug it in and wind it up to your heart's content.

An endnote, I saw this van parked outside my uni and thought the people of UG might appreciate it

@ the van
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
That thing is sweet. clipz? HGND!
Gold jacket, green jacket, who gives a shit?

Awesome, Colorsound kicks ass. Congrats!
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
VHNMFPD dude!

Nice van too.

Does it sound more reminiscent of a Maestro, a FuzzFace or a Tone Bender?
It sounds like what the fuzz face should be. It has a real nice crunch to it, and lets the tone of the guitar ring true. The tone-bender seems to swallow up the guitar signal and spit out a real smooth and sharp fuzz tone. The tone-bender sounded great but I felt that Fuzz Box sounded more organic, and the sound was a bit more open and transparent. I wouldn't knock the bender though, it is really good for what it does but it just wasn't what i was after; it also benefits from having a wider tonal range than the fuzz box.

I've never tried a Maestro so i can't really comment.

I was pretty sold on getting a fuzz face, but having played the colorsound there was just no comparison. As stated above this thing really sounds like what a fuzz face should be. The fuzz is quite Zappa/Hendrix-ish - real 60s sound - and the fuzz face didn't really seem to give me that. I'm sure vintage-ones/clones could sound as good as they should but I haven't had a chance to play any. (In terms of fuzz face's i'm speaking of production ones > clones).
Great Stuff HNPD!!
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Happy NPD

I was in Macari's round the corner from Denmark St today, and one of the guys working there was the biggest arsehole ever. This guy was trying some guitars, and he comes up to him and said in a really pretentious and casual-arsehole voice "so man, are you thinking about buying anything?" I laughed and left at that point.
It looks lie a flipper, HNFD!

Lol, nice pedal, any chance of some clips?
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Quote by ze monsta
Happy NPD

I was in Macari's round the corner from Denmark St today, and one of the guys working there was the biggest arsehole ever. This guy was trying some guitars, and he comes up to him and said in a really pretentious and casual-arsehole voice "so man, are you thinking about buying anything?" I laughed and left at that point.

Yeh sometimes they can be real cocks. I went to the one on Denmark St yesterday and tried out some tonebenders (with the old guy who I assume is one of the Macari sons, and the guy with the crazy facial hair). Moustache man was saying anything to get a sale which is standard but he was pretty helpful, as was the old guy.

That store was busy today so I went to the Charing Cross Rd one. It was busy but I felt like they were rushing me to buy cos other people wanted to try stuff out. Some kid was checking out a volume pedal (?) and the guy in the store kept coming over and getting in my way while I was trying out the fuzzes in a sort of "come on hurry up" kinda way. Not cool. I had only been trying them out for 10/15 minutes which I thought was reasonable. Back in birmingham (PMT) they just set you up and let you go on for as long as you want.

They're not all bad in London but some of the staff are real arseholes on Denmark St. I don't understand why these good stores employ idiots. Really soils their image.
sweet man, I love fuzz ......beat the crap out of it

@ van
Control your destiny.