Hi, so I've recently come into a little bit of money, about $1000, and by christmas, plan to have enough to buy a suhr S1 or S2.

My dad has an S4, and I know the S2 and S4 are basically the same as far as playability, will the maple neck be TOO snappy with the alder body as opposed to basswood? I don't know why I'm so worried about this, considering they guitar I play now is alder/maple, But its a double humbucker, metal axe for the most part.

On the other hand, the alder body, will probably give it more versatility with a brighter gain.

Also, Would the rosewood fretboard be worth checking out for the tonal characteristics, even though I don't like the feel as much as maple, and I really don't like the way it looks either?
Well most Strats have an Alder body and maple neck combination and I've never found most of them to be snappy. It certainly works well that's for sure.

TBH I'm not sure how many guitarist can tell the difference between a rosewood fretboard and maple fretboard guitar with everything else staying the same and played through an amp and can pull it off 9 out of 10 times, I would probably guess it's going to be a very small percentage. That and once you add in gain certainly that percentage would drop.
Suhrs are brilliant instruments but they are naturally bright instruments, even the pickups are voiced that way. I wouldn't be too concerned about the rosewood/maple thing, if anything the rosewood would be more shrill as it has more high end content wheras the maple has an explosive upper mid bite (in general in my experience.)

Be warned though your dad's S4 will have an SSH+ bridge pickup whereas the S1/S2 has an SSV in the bridge, meaning your guitar won't be as "RAWK" and a bit more "vintage" in tonality.

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
I personally don't like basswood. The light weight seems to "suck" up the tone, making them sound very dull. Alder has a nice balanced tone.
There's my way and the wrong way.
Quote by seth's daddy
I personally don't like basswood. The light weight seems to "suck" up the tone, making them sound very dull. Alder has a nice balanced tone.

Don't jusdge Suhr's based on your passed experiences with Basswood - unless it was in a Suhr because the quality of materials used in these uitars are likely to be far better than the ones you've tried!

My Suhr (basswood body, flamed maple top) is light, but still has fantastic tone, certainly not dull

I'd email Suhr if I were you - they'll be happy to help with your query - or make a post on the Suhr forums.
Quote by seth's daddy

Yeah, my dads basswood guitar sounds amazing, I just don't want to have to tell the store to order in 2 seperate guitars just so I can see which I like a little better. But I think im definitely gonna go with the maple neck. Also the flame maple top/basswood, is a good 400 dollars more, and cosmetically I don't think its worth it, guess i'll have to check them all out
Yeah that guitar sounds wonderful with the woods the way they are; it's not too snappy I'm telling you. There are many an amazing Suhr with Alder body maple neck.

The SSV is fantastic; of course not the same output as your pops SSH+, but that being said if I wasn't looking for brutals I would get that pickup in a heartbeat.

Buy with confidence!

Oh and I'm not speaking from experience but the S2 should be "snappier" I guess than the S1 because of the one piece neck.
-Mike
Last edited by HopePoisoned at Nov 29, 2009,
Yeah my dads is an S4, If the main difference is the pickups, as far as tonal quality, the only thing I would really be spending money on is the increased sexiness lol, I know I wont be unhappy with anything that suhr makes, cause they're amazing lol. Is the neck on the S2 and S4 the same?
i played a suhr the other day.......
i didnt like it.
it felt.....cheap. lol
Classical Guitarist
You'll be very happy with it. My main guitar's a custom modern, and it's unbelievable.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Quote by Zep_shizzle
i played a suhr the other day.......
i didnt like it.
it felt.....cheap. lol

Well each to their own I guess.

... are you sure it was a suhr?
Quote by Notmewtwoguitar
Well each to their own I guess.

... are you sure it was a suhr?

hmmmm.... the headstock said suhr............had a REALLY nice finish......and the pricetag was 2k.....so im pretty sure it was a suhr.
Classical Guitarist
I don't know how you thought it played cheap then lol.. the frets are finished, and fit so perfectly, neck feel is amazingly smooth, and it feels like a good piece of wood on all the ones i've tried, and the tonewoods are always amazing too..
I know I'm going to get flamed for saying this, but; Suhr is just UG's latest fad.

I'm sure they're great guitars, but much like the MXR Carbon Copy and Splawn amplifiers, Suhr guitars aren't for everyone.

I've picked up 2k+ guitars and thought they felt cheap before. I just can't appreciate the qualities that make some guitars great; and that happens to everyone.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
I've loved Suhr guitars long before I went on UG, they're amazing, I've never played anything that felt as nice in my hands before..ever, between fender custom shops, vigier's, charvel custom shops, PRS guitars... many others, none of them felt as nice as any inparticular suhr
thats how it is to you right?

The key word there is YOU.

the nicest guitar ive played is my carvin.
it is perfect. no guitar has ever come close to the feeling i get on that fretboard.

and i didnt pay anywhere near the ridiculous amount of 2k for it,

seriously, if anybody has the cash to get a guitar that coast more than 1,300, they are either rich or stupid.

that money can go somewhere else where it is needed.
Classical Guitarist
Quote by ch0
I know I'm going to get flamed for saying this, but; Suhr is just UG's latest fad.

I'm sorry that's one of the most ridiculous statement I've ever heard...

If you want a modern fender sounding guitar Suhr are second to none; they're designed properly with reasoning rather than a "that's what Leo used to do!" mentality.. Of course that's not for everyone, nothing is, but to say that a well designed guitar with original ideas is a "fad" is highly offensive to John's work.

(That's without mentioning the fact that Suhr has been going strong since the early '90s, seems quite a while for a "fad" to still be going to me)

Quote by Zep_shizzle
seriously, if anybody has the cash to get a guitar that coast more than 1,300, they are either rich or stupid.

I take it back; this may be the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard... Not only because of its sentiment but because it has absolutely nothing to do with what is being discussed.

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
Quote by power freak
I'm sorry that's one of the most ridiculous statement I've ever heard...

If you want a modern fender sounding guitar Suhr are second to none; they're designed properly with reasoning rather than a "that's what Leo used to do!" mentality.. Of course that's not for everyone, nothing is, but to say that a well designed guitar with original ideas is a "fad" is highly offensive to John's work.

(That's without mentioning the fact that Suhr has been going strong since the early '90s, seems quite a while for a "fad" to still be going to me)
Fine, I'm sorry.

Just seems like the brand has established instant reverence on UG which is odd, because hardly anybody seems to own, or has even played one.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...