I bought a cheap LP body on ebay and sprayed it with a few coats of primer. I gave it about 6 light coats of glossy white lacquer (from Lowe's). Then, I taped up the whole thing with painter's tape and drew the circles on the tape. Then I took a razor blade and cut the tape on the circles. I started pulling up the tape and ran into some problems. The tape pulled up some of the lacquer and left some blue residue on it. I decided to scrap the whole idea and I pulled all of the tape off. Since then I've put about 5 more light coats of lacquer on it.

Any ideas? Is there another kind of tape I should use? Is there an easier way to do all this?

Thanks

Also, I really like the aged off-white look of Randy Rhoads' LP and some of Zakk's guitars. Where could I buy that color paint?
Last edited by capitalistpig at Nov 28, 2009,
As said above, let it sit for a while before you tape it off.
Lefty Strat Copy w/ GFS Lil' killer rails + Crazy wiring
Lefty Kona Thinline Acoustic/Electric
Righty-to-Lefty Silvertone Bass
Righty-to-Lefty Memphis Short Scale Bass
Vox AD30VT-XL

Tascam US-428 USB Interface Mixer
Guitar Rig 3
12 hours, ya that would do it. lol. I would say wait a week and let the paint cure fully. Make sure its in a warm spot too. Not too warm but don't leave it hanging in the garage if you live in a colder climate.
Lefty Strat Copy w/ GFS Lil' killer rails + Crazy wiring
Lefty Kona Thinline Acoustic/Electric
Righty-to-Lefty Silvertone Bass
Righty-to-Lefty Memphis Short Scale Bass
Vox AD30VT-XL

Tascam US-428 USB Interface Mixer
Guitar Rig 3
And using white lacquer in place of white pant might have something to do with it as well.

White paint, black paint, lacquer over the top - in that order.
build 1, finished 1/15/11

Every time I try to pick it up like falling sand,
As fast as I pick it up,
it runs away through my clutching hands.
There's nothing else I can really do...
Quote by Copaman
And using white lacquer in place of white pant might have something to do with it as well.

White paint, black paint, lacquer over the top - in that order.

I would've done black, white, clear.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
You would've had to do a ton of white coats to make sure that the black doesn't pop through at all.

A generally good rule is to do darker colors over lighter colors and not the other way around, just to save the extra work of the additional layers.
build 1, finished 1/15/11

Every time I try to pick it up like falling sand,
As fast as I pick it up,
it runs away through my clutching hands.
There's nothing else I can really do...
Quote by GeToChKn
12 hours, ya that would do it. lol. I would say wait a week and let the paint cure fully. Make sure its in a warm spot too. Not too warm but don't leave it hanging in the garage if you live in a colder climate.

Get the lacquer off an start again (rub it down as best you can).

Primer again, then block sand that (wet sand) to P600 so it's all nice and flat and smooth.

Spray your white about two coats more than full coverage, don't leave it too long between coats, see the directions, usually 3 light coats at a time, about 10 mins in between.

Get some frisket masking paper from an Art Store.

Wet sand your now dry white, with P600 so it's all nice and flat and smooth, but with some grip for the black and lacquer.

Put the friskett on the guitar, then using some string, a pencil and a thumb tack, mark out your circles accurately.

Now replace the pencil with a sharp craft knife, Xacto or similar. You only need to be very gentle to cut the paper.

Now peel out the parts you want black.

Spray the black. Ideally, you would have wiped down the body with something to clean any crap off, acetone very quickly perhaps.

After you final coat of black, try and peel the mask as soon as it is touch dry. This is why you don't want to use too much paint.

Peel the mask at a sharp upwards angle from the paint to sheer the lip.

Hopefully you wont have much in the way of lips, and the edges should all be nice and neat.

After this is all dry, you could just run over it again with some 600 wet on a block, wipe it down and dry it.

Now you bung your clear on, 3 coats at at a time.

Ideally you should wet sand it lightly after each 3 or so coats and probably do 3 sets.

After last set of clear is dry, wet sand with P1000, then P1500, then P2000 and then buff it out and polish it.

See the Ultimate Painting thread.
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Above is how I would do it. Please post some pics once you are finished with it.