Hi there, I bought a Gibson explorer from my friend years ago for cheap, but I have one problem with it.

He removed the black finish and put white house paint on it.

So I'm not very knowledgeable in how to finish or repaint a guitar. What I'm looking to do is fix the parts where the paint is fading and make it have a hard coat like how all guitars do. What are the best ways to do this?

I don't want to wreck my guitar. I just got the fretboard customized to my standards and it plays beautifullly. I just don't want it to be an ugly white, I want a solid nice white and I want the guitar to have a strong coating like a normal guitar.
LOL@UR GERE!!!1 HURRZ MINE!
Customized Gibson Explorer (Alternative 8)
LTD mp-600
Charvel/Esp hybrid (Alnico 2 pro)
Line 6 Pod X3 Live

Coming Soon: EngL StH Limited Edition
Quote by Ippon
Read the various Refinishing links provided here: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=542726

If you believe you understand the steps after reading them 2 - 3 times, read them twice, again. This is the only way to make it look decent.

He could potentially just wet sand the current white finish to level and clean it. It will be properly thick if it was applied with a brush or roller.

Then lacquer it and do the whole wet sand and buff on that.
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!