Apparently the pickups on my Epi Les Paul suck ass (I always figured as much), so I'm gonna buy a decent pair of pickups for them. I'll pay about $70 a pickup and I need two of em, so it should total out to more than $140.

The genres I play are mostly hard rock (Guns N' Roses, Led Zep, that kinda stuff), indie, alt rock, and some progressive (Steve Vai). Basically I need really really versatile pickups. My playing is rather sloppy so I'd prefer not to get pickups that would project every single mistake I make.

I don't know anything about pickups pretty much, so I probably forgot some important details.
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
The other guitarist in my band is the biggest Zep fan I've ever met. He put a pair of Seymour Duncan 59s in his, and it sounds really nice, great for soloing and they sound really cool if you like to mess around with chorus and delay too.

EDIT: I know another guy whose got a set of Dimarzio Virtual P-90s in his epi les paul. the thing sounds killer, they don't really sound like P-90s but they give a really nice unique sound.
UG's Prodigal Son
Last edited by lunaticfringe93 at Nov 28, 2009,
Irongear Hot Slag will do what you need. You'll even get a passable PAF sound with the heat turned down a bit. £26 each and they will ship to USA.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Guitarforce Lord of the Blues

That being said, do you even NEED new pickups? When you say "apparently the pickups in my... suck" then you're implying that you didn't even realize that they sucked until someone informed you. You either have a problem with them or you don't. What don't you like about your current pickups? Too high output? Too low output? What is wrong with the EQ? The response? When it's all said and done, unless you have an actual issue with your current pickups (ie. more than someone just telling you that they suck) to replace them, because let's be honest, unless there is something that you dislike about your sound, then, how are you going to choose your next pickup?

Also, finding a set of pickups to cover up poor playing is really not where you want to go, because then you'd have to find something muddy and incoherent, which most high quality pickups try to stay away from.

This guy does the Zeppelin thing just fine with the stock Epiphone pickups
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_E15bvtosXU
Last edited by al112987 at Nov 28, 2009,
Seymour Duncan sh-5 bridge and sh-1 neck
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
Well I always figured they were bad because whenever I played chords it sounded absolutely terrible. I even said this in the original post.
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
Quote by Guitar2theface
Well I always figured they were bad because whenever I played chords it sounded absolutely terrible. I even said this in the original post.
yeah, se that doesn't tell us anything useful. A lot of things can cause chords to sound bad. It might not even be pickups. And even if it is the pickups, are they too boomy in the low end? Too bright and harsh? Too muddy and incoherent?

Otherwise, we might suggest something that you might also find boomy, or harsh or muddy. We have no clue what your current issue with the pickups are.