You can probably get something better for the money. What genres do you play? What's your budget? Location? Can you go used?

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

you can get much better with the money. i had a AVT150 . it was poop .
My Rig
------------------
Schecter Damien 6 (mod with 81/85 emg)
Ibanez Xiphos
Peavey Vypyr Tube 120 <3
Digitech RP250 (for Sale)
Yeah, the whole series isn't very good. My brother had one years ago when he played, it just sounds fake.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
The price is 150€(245$/136£.
I'm looking forward to an amp that can give me that vintage tone and I don't know where can I get one so cheap as this one.
I'm from Portugal and it's kinda hard to have one used.

Thanks,
G
for that price vintage or tubes will be hard to find.

can you tell me the music style?
My Rig
------------------
Ibanez Xiphos
Peavey Vypyr Tube 120 <3
I want a vintage rock tone (eg: Led Zeppelin).
Can you help me on choosing an amp?

Thanks,
G
not gunna happen with that budget my friend.

for that kind of vintage tone you WILL need tubes.

for a similar tone. idk. a vypyr?

but itll be worth saving up either way. to maybe aorund 350 us? casue thne u can get a 5w tube blackheart.
My Rig
------------------
Ibanez Xiphos
Peavey Vypyr Tube 120 <3
Do you think it will work with a 5W amp?
I want an amp that can both rehearsal and gig.
Help me, please.

Thanks
It seems to me not too many people here have actually played an AVT. (Not that I'm surprised.)

1) The clean channel is poop.
2) High gain lead and rhythm, generally anything you'd consider modern metal, is also poop.
3) Medium gain crunch is actually decent.

From what I gather, your biggest concerns are crunch tones. The crunch the AVT offers doesn't sound any bit vintage, it's got a relatively modern voicing. But for 150€, you probably won't find anything that does it better (and don't let anyone tell you a Peavey Vypyr has a better crunch tone than an AVT - no chance in hell).

I wouldn't dismiss the AVT before trying it, for what you want to play, anyway. And 150€ is a decent price if it's in good condition. Now, what you need to look for are obvious signs of wear on the outside (if the head shell looks like it'll fall apart any second, just walk away), as well as excessive humming/buzzing noises, fluctuation of volume and/or gain and scratching noises if you turn the pots. If the pots make such noises, that's no big problem, but if any of the other things occur, don't buy it. Repairing it might cost you more than the actual amp.

My personal recommendation is looking into other used amps. I'd recommend you look for Peavey Classic 20s and older model Laney LC15s (the ones without reverb). Both amps are combos that do great vintage-y crunch tones and especially the older Laneys can be had for well under 200€. Both have 15 watts of tube power - that is very very loud. Plenty of volume for most band situations.
Thanks, guys.
Yes, I'm into that crunchy tone. I'm so confused about the amp I should buy.
I think I'm going to test that AVT again so I can decide myself.
I'm open to more opinions.

Thanks
Coincidentally, i own both an AVT and a Blackheart (soon to be NAD'ing)

AVT:
Decent amplification for pedal based effects.
Very cheap used, seriously overpriced new.
Channels do what the are meant to in accordance with its price.
Single 12ax7 tube does nothing.
Cabs arent TERRIBLE, but not good.
Doesnt really have the sounds you are after, its pretty much a sooped up MG.
Other gearheads will probably not respect you....

Blackheart Little Giant:
Cleans - Nice, needs pedals and it will be awesome as hell.
Vintage tones? Not sure, but it sounds like what your after.
Loud enough for band practise? Definately, used it this morning in a studio, we normally play loud as hell, we were only slightly quieter than usual today, but atleast we arent deaf. However you will sacrifice cleans if you arent mic'd.
The 3 band EQ is pretty weird. Very unnoticable, it sounds like they just took the eq from another amp, limited its range from 3-7 and made 3 on 0 and 7 on 10.

I got the AVT150 full stack for 300 pounds (in hope of resale profit), almost brand new, no marks. Whereas i got the Blackheart for just 70 (just the head).

If your truly serious about buying a good amp, either go with the Blackheart, or save up a lot lot more and make do with what you have for the moment.
dont buy an amp based on its brand. i think you might be biased abit, just because its a marshall and its in your price range. i was abit too.

i had to go to like all the guitar stores and tried all the amps within my price range. my preferences changed time after time, until i discovered a vox ac50. i played on it and fell in love with it.

just go and try like all the amps within your price range and some above it, then decide.
i have played a AVT. i owned the avt150.

it was complete poo. i couldn't even achieve a slash tone with it.

the 12ax7 does absolutely nothing to the sound. its cleans are alright.

and it sounds a lot quieter than its actual rated output. it doesnt sound too amazing when its boosted. and its acoustic simulator is poo.

OD1 channel is pretty nice for crunchy, i used it for AC/DC stuff
OD2 is terrible and muddy
Acoustic channel was kinda lame
Clean was alright, nothing extraordinary and worth it.

overall i think its a waste of money.

i live in new york and i got my 150w one for 280 bucks. then i sold it 2 months ago. for 300, and bought a new vypyr 120tube and it completely destroys it.

but unfortunately, its way out of your price range.

im not sure if youll be able to get your hands on a used flextone either. that wouldnt be too bad
My Rig
------------------
Ibanez Xiphos
Peavey Vypyr Tube 120 <3
It really isn't very good. It sounds very fuzzy, and I couldn't get that vintage sound out of it.

As far as cheap amps go, I recommend the Roland Cube series. They actually sound good. They're more expensive, but it's easy to find a second-hand one.
also its fan is really loud and theres a lot of noise when not played.
My Rig
------------------
Ibanez Xiphos
Peavey Vypyr Tube 120 <3
I own an AVT50.

First off, the stock speakes in the combos/cabs are muddy poo. Replacing it dramatically improved the sound of the amp. With the speaker swap it was able to do high gain, before that it was far too flubby. I can't talk about 'vintage' or rock tones, I never play like that.

Right now I'm in the process of trading the AVT for an 80s Peavey Bandit 65.

Edit: What fan? I've never heard a fan in the thing and I've owned it for 3 years.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
sorry i had the combo . it had a fan

but either way. same stuff. its crap
My Rig
------------------
Ibanez Xiphos
Peavey Vypyr Tube 120 <3
Quote by GuilhermeS
The price is €150($245/£136).

Fixed?
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
amp is decent. i've used one as a main amp for about 7 years.

i also have a jtm45, you can't get more vintage marshall sound than that, and even still, i still play my avt for practice and just messing around. the tone is not really that bad.

to my ears it can get a decent marshall classic rock sound. i have various clips in my profile of the avt and jtm45. it's not a great amp and i wouldn't buy it again, but it does it's job and isn't nearly as bad as most people here are saying it is.
Last edited by al112987 at Nov 30, 2009,
I still have my AVT50H head, (mark I, no digital FX, just reverb)

Wasn't a big fan of the clean channel, but the Overdrive/Distortion channel will kick out some nice Metal tones if you dial it in right. I used to gig with it. and it performed admirably. Then I got my POD XT Live, and I couldn't get a good sound out of it. The power amp in on this thing seems a bit harsh with PODs for some weird reason. So I had to ditch it, and find a suitable power amp (the best way to experience a POD, IMHO).

I held on to it just for playing around with at home, and I've found that it does get some decent crunch tones if you dial it in right. And the clean channel isn't too bad with a good overdrive in front. However it'll never match up to a good tube amp.

The Bottom Line:

AVT amps are OK for the money, Just OK though. If you can afford a tube amp, get it! If you plan on using a modeling processor like I do, either get a nice head and use the power amp in, or just get a decent power amp (again, tube if you can afford it).
Washburn Dime 333, Ibanez RG7620, LTD MH250NT w/ EMG 89x's
Modded Boss Metal Zone, Boss CE-5, DD-3, Intellifex
Jet City JCA2112RC, ADA MP-1 Preamp,
GK 400RB Bass head
Marshall and Ampeg 4x12 cabs
Last edited by axe_2_grind at Oct 13, 2010,
The avt50s are definatly one of the better avts. Not thats saying much since they are an awful line but with a boost it'll do higher gain stuff alright i guess but i wouldnt pay much for it at all.
Quote by axe_2_grind

Then I got my POD XT Live, and I couldn't get a good sound out of it. The power amp in on this thing seems a bit harsh with PODs for some weird reason.

if i got this right, the parallel FX loop may have been cause of that. I would try a MA over a AVT for a the serial FX loop if i had a choice.
I wanted a SS amp and found the AVT50. It's hybrid but whatever..i still consider it SS.
The tube opens up the overdrive a little bit, but nothing special.

With a 1960 cab and active pups...I can dial in decent modern tones with the aid of
a few pedals.

I actually got it for garage punk style recordings. It does that job with ease...
however, if you dont need a gritty SS tone..keep looking. It's not going to blow
you away.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
Necro bump much?
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals