i wasnt too sure where to put this thread but i thought that acoustic was the best choice. anyways i was wondering if those Rogue A style mandolins were any good. i play electric guitar and i saw a mandolin at a music store and thought "that thing looks really cool!" so i want to try, yeah so are those Rogue mandolins any good?
Don't steal.
The government hates competition.
Alright, first off let me congratulate you on evebn knowing what a Mandolin is!
I'm from Kentucky so Bluegrass music is a tradition, and the mandolin is a big part of that. They're alot of fun to play, but hard on the wrists.
Back to what you were asking though, I wouldn't go for the Rogue Mandolin. Sure, high action on a starter guitar isn't such a big deal, but it makes a HUGE difference on a mandolin. Action too high can really screw with your wrist since the neck is so small.
If you really want to start, I say get a Johnson Mandolin. It was my first mandolin is pretty decent quality.
From what I've heard and played, Rogue only makes crap.
Pot
Kettle
Black
ive heard that mandolins are used a lot in bluegrass etc. what other genres are they used in?
Don't steal.
The government hates competition.
You should check out Chris Thile, he's a professional mandolin player. (I think?) he plays in Nickel Creek and Punch Brothers; Look up some of the radiohead covers that the punch brothers do, they're kinda interesting and have a good amount of mandolin (and other instruments) on them.
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!
There is some mandolin present on the first Counting Crows record
-----------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Z Stangray
G&L ASAT Classic (Ron Kirn Custom T-Style coming soon! ronkirn.com)
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce
i'm inclined to tell you to stay away from johnson stuff because johnson guitars suck.

could be different for their mandolin though.

it also does kill the wrists. played it once for a little bit and damn did it hurt.
Schecter Diamond Series C-1 Elite
Roland Cube 30x
Blueridge BR-143
Look up David Grisman, In my opinion he is the best mando player, I know him because he used to do a lot of acoustic and bluegrass jams with Jerry Garcia
Freedom isn't free...

It costs like ten dollars a gram
Quote by clayonfire
You should check out Chris Thile

I had a long conversation with him once. He's unreal. One of the best musicians I can think of.
Check out Sam Bush hands down the best mando player ever. Cheapo mandolins are a gamble. Intonation is hard enough to get right with a good one. That is the biggest problem with them. Then there is always the action and fret buzzing and etc. Look into a washburn I don't really like their guitars but for a low end mando they are pretty good.
I do sure love me them Gibsons boy
I've got a friend who plays mandolin; He has The Gibson; not A Gibson, but THE Gibson

http://www.thebluegrassblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/12/skaggs_mando.jpg

I know epiphone makes one called THE Epiphone; maybe you should try to track one of those down? My guess is that it would be good quality (but correct me if I'm wrong)
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!
Quote by clayonfire
I know epiphone makes one called THE Epiphone; maybe you should try to track one of those down? My guess is that it would be good quality (but correct me if I'm wrong)

I have one. It's an Epiphone F-5. It more than gets the job done for an average player like myself.
Musicians Friend has the Epiphone MM30 and MM20 mandolins for a good price.
Also, if it's hurting your wrist then you're playing it wrong. I've been playing mine for about a year with no wrist pain whatsoever. It's not a guitar, you don't hold it the same.