Ok, I've been trying to go for some bluesy stuff, (and on that note, if anyone can send me some really bluesy tabs or something, much appreciated), and I've been trying the Slap and Pop technique. I have a few questions

1: When I slap with my thumb, the note is barely audible. How can I fix this?

2: I get big bloody blisters when I play, and I know I should leave the blisters alone to harden and callous, but they have the color of congealed blood. Any solutions?

3. Does anyone know any good finger exercises?
1) bounce the thumb, don't let it mute the string.

2) that's not my forte, never had any blood. doctor?

3) spider scale?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Most people who play slap bass, tape their thumb. Electrical tape usually.
Lefty Strat Copy w/ GFS Lil' killer rails + Crazy wiring
Lefty Kona Thinline Acoustic/Electric
Righty-to-Lefty Silvertone Bass
Righty-to-Lefty Memphis Short Scale Bass
Vox AD30VT-XL

Tascam US-428 USB Interface Mixer
Guitar Rig 3
The best advice I ever got about playing slap was to get the mind set of your thumb being a drum stick. Get a cheap hand drum and practice getting a good snap drum sound with that. Then go back to bass. Most of not all of the drummers I know play amazing slap bass for this very reason. They understand the percussive nature of it.
Quote by anarkee
The best advice I ever got about playing slap was to get the mind set of your thumb being a drum stick. Get a cheap hand drum and practice getting a good snap drum sound with that. Then go back to bass. Most of not all of the drummers I know play amazing slap bass for this very reason. They understand the percussive nature of it.

My drummer keeps his palm on the strings while bringing his thumb down and not bouncing. I told him he was doing it wrong and now it swings his whole forarm like a swing on to the strings

TS, I've never had the blood blister problem but with slapping your thumb should bounce of the string and at almost the same time, your index should be reaching for the pop if needed. Another good tip is to palm mute when you slap, so after the bounce rotate yoru hand / wrist until the edge of your palm is muting the strings, this is a much better habit then just laying your fingers across the strings on your left hand.
You must have a very soft thumb, if its bleeding. Are you using the bone of the thumb to hit the string at the joint. Its al about the snap of the thumb, down and up very quick. Only move at the wrist. Bringing the thumb down as the wrist comes down and bringing the thimb back before the wrist pulls back. Slap right on the neck or at the very end of it. Boost your treble and mids. Try new strings.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle
You must have a very soft thumb, if its bleeding. Are you using the bone of the thumb to hit the string at the joint. Its al about the snap of the thumb, down and up very quick. Only move at the wrist. Bringing the thumb down as the wrist comes down and bringing the thimb back before the wrist pulls back. Slap right on the neck or at the very end of it. Boost your treble and mids. Try new strings.

Its not my thumb that's bleeding, it's the fingers I use to "pop" with, like my middle and pointer
Quote by Aullo
Its not my thumb that's bleeding, it's the fingers I use to "pop" with, like my middle and pointer
You're gonna have to give your fingers some time to build calluses. I had this same problem at first.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
stainless steal strings hurt and nickle strings are a bit softer .. hope that helps any
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E