I'm trying my hardest to understand music theory but I'm at a road block when it comes to understanding intervals. It's confusing, they say that intervals are the space between notes and I understand that much ,but I'm having a hard time understanding the rest that I'm reading. Everything I've read just tells me the names of the interval and not really explaining much elses and when they do try to explain they just hit me with a bunch of confusing terms that I'm unsure of. I'm at the understanding that you're 8th interval is your octave and that intervals 2, 3, 6, and 7 are either major or minor and that intervals 1, 4, 5, and 8 are either perfect, diminished , or augmented. But like i said, I'm just not understanding all of it.

So if someone could please help me understand it would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not that well with some of the terms and all so please try to explain in simplest way so I can try to understand easier.

( I'm kinda new at the whole music theory thing lol )

If you want, you can just leave links of websites that helped you understand intervals and theory, or suggest dvds i might want to get to help.

Once again it'll be GREATLY appreciated
Pretty much all you have to know is that it goes minor-major, but it goes straight from major 3rd to perfect 4th, then you have the tritone/diminished 5th/augmented 4th, then perfect 5th, then back to the minor-major pattern.
...I like metal.
What you put in the OP makes it seem like you have it down.

I'll list all the intervals below, by # of half-steps from the root and its official name.

0 - Unison (tonic/root)
1 - Minor second
2 - Major second
3 - Minor third
4 - Major third
5 - Perfect fourth
6 - Tritone (augmented fourth or diminished fifth, depending on context)
7 - Perfect fifth
8 - Minor sixth or augmented fifth, depending on context
9 - Major sixth or diminished seventh, depending on context
10 - Minor seventh
11 - Major seventh
12 - Octave (tonic/root)
13 - Minor ninth
14 - Major ninth
15 - Minor tenth
16 - Major tenth
17 - Perfect eleventh
18 - Augmented eleventh or diminished twelfth, depending on context
19 - Perfect twelfth
20 - Minor thirteenth or augmented twelfth, depending on context
21 - Major thirteenth or diminished fourteenth, depending on context
22 - Minor fourteenth
23 - Major fourteenth
24 - Second octave (tonic/root)

I just listed up to two octaves and what all of those would be called theoretically, but most of them are never used. There are also some that I didn't list that could be used, but are very uncommon in western music, like a diminished third.

Of the ones that I listed, the ones that are used regularly are 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 11, 13 and their variations. What I mean with those numbers is what I call them on the right, not their half-step measurement on the left. For example, I'm talking about the unison, second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh, ninth, eleventh, and thirteenth, not one half-step, two half-steps, etc.

My advice is to not worry too much about learning all of this, because you won't understand it until you apply chords you encounter to figure out this stuff for yourself.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Last edited by food1010 at Nov 28, 2009,