will a soda can work to shield a guitar? i know aluminum transfer electricity and can be used as the guitar shield and ground, also i seen pickguards with aluminum backing so...

what do you guys think?

Guitar : Fender CIJ Mustang and a Telecaster
Amp : 76 fender champ
Pedals : BBE green screamer, Big muff, Ibanez LU20 Pedal Tuner, boss loop pedal
more that a $0.60 can of soda

wow copper shielding is like 5 bucks and aluminum foil is in your kitchen most probably...
i would guess aluminum foil would be too thin

Quote by Nagashiro
i would guess aluminum foil would be too thin

Its not too thin, its as thin as the copper shielding, and thicker than shielding paint. Foil works fine. Use some spray glue to hold it down.
Lefty Strat Copy w/ GFS Lil' killer rails + Crazy wiring
Lefty Kona Thinline Acoustic/Electric
Righty-to-Lefty Silvertone Bass
Righty-to-Lefty Memphis Short Scale Bass
Vox AD30VT-XL

Tascam US-428 USB Interface Mixer
Guitar Rig 3
You can get the extra thick aluminum foil at a dollar store, and it works great and seems to be easier to work with than the cheaper, thinner aluminum foil. Plus, it won't wrinkle, crimp, or tear as easily. Much better in the long run, from experience.
cool, i may use the can so i can solder on it with out worrying about breaking it.

Last edited by Nagashiro at Nov 28, 2009,
I used aluminum foil, it wasn't funt o use, now I ordered copper foil with an adhesive back so it should be a breeze.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
The problem with a can is that it will be difficult to flatten, and you will cut yourself and get tetanus.
Use aluminum foil.
Quote by Nagashiro
cool, i may use the can so i can solder on it with out worrying about breaking it.

Aluminum foil works great, and I've used it successfully many times. However, it does NOT take solder; copper foil does, but no aluminum, so if you use it, you need to "wire" it into your grounding with a sink screw or some similar mechanism that actually makes tight physical contact.
this been very helpfully, yeah i know about the blade like of a can, but i have gloves.

i plan on cutting the soda can, flatten it by sandwiching it between 2 pieces of wood clamp together, and il post my results once my project is done