Hi everyone,

Well i'm looking for a tube amp for playing mainly rock stuff (u2, muse,...) but only for home no band or gig so i think a need a low wattage amp. My budget is 300$ and i'm using a strat as a guitar.

Thanks for your responses.
Are you willing to buy used?

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

You are never going to find a really low watt tube amp for $300 I don't think unless it is beat up
you want something that's 1/2 watt or 1 watt.. that's usually boutique gear
Well let's say my budget can grow up to 400$ but no more, i think i can get vox ac4tv for that price no?
Quote by MLilienthal
You are never going to find a really low watt tube amp for $300 I don't think unless it is beat up
you want something that's 1/2 watt or 1 watt.. that's usually boutique gear

Wrong,there's more of a market for low wattage tube affordable tube amps these days,and several companies are coming out with some nice models.

I suggest this TS,for $350 it's one of the best options out there on the new market.Either this or the Super Champ XD will do what you want in spades.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by MLilienthal
touché, i'll have to check those out

They've been getting rave reviews from what I've seen,and a lot of people are calling them affordable clones of a Hotrod Deluxe.

isn't Bugera is part of Berhinger and i know that this company has a really bad reviews about them...
Quote by Pr0gNut
They've been getting rave reviews from what I've seen,and a lot of people are calling them affordable clones of a Hotrod Deluxe.

There is a five watt one that can be had for like $190 apparently....?
holy crap o.o
Quote by rocker313
isn't Bugera is part of Berhinger and i know that this company has a really bad reviews about them...

I don't know if they are a part of Berhinger but from what i've heard they make very good stuff
Sorry to mention this in every thread....but how about the Fender Super Champ XD
Control your destiny.
Quote by MLilienthal
I don't know if they are a part of Berhinger but from what i've heard they make very good stuff

They're a subsidiary of Behringer. They make nice, inexpensive tube amps, but the quality is rather cheap. All the ones I've played are cheaply built and just have a poor sound to them.
Quote by rocker313

Bugera makes great stuff for the price you pay,just go to the Bugera owners thread in GG&A to see first hand testimonials of how good their amps are.

Just to know more about fender super champ xd, how it sounds compared to vox vt?
Quote by rocker313
Just to know more about fender super champ xd, how it sounds compared to vox vt?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ek6PiHd-H2U

^ Extensive video review for the Super Champ.

I would say that the Vox Ac4tv would have be another consideration. I've recently picked one up and I must say it's very nice. You have the added advantage of the 1/4, 1 and full 4 Watts. I can easily get the 1/4 watt to breakup without piss off the neighbours and the 4 watt is beautifully clean. It's not covered in knobs like the Bugera, but I work on the theory that the less extras you get the better the sound..but hey that's just my opinion, I haven't tried to Bugera so I can't compare the two.

In the end it really depends on what you want from it.

Thrench
I've read that a 5W tube amp will be about as loud as a trumpet. You could use that in the bedroom but you wouldn't be able to crank it up.

If you want something you can crank right up and get the full effect of a tube amp working its arse off, you'll want to look around the sub-1W range, which paradoxically starts getting expensive again.

Here's a bunch of articles about amps if you wanna nerd it up: http://amptone.com/
Quote by ascend
I've read that a 5W tube amp will be about as loud as a trumpet. You could use that in the bedroom but you wouldn't be able to crank it up.

If you want something you can crank right up and get the full effect of a tube amp working its arse off, you'll want to look around the sub-1W range, which paradoxically starts getting expensive again.

Here's a bunch of articles about amps if you wanna nerd it up: http://amptone.com/

I thought 1 watt cranked was as loud as a trumpet ><
I don't remember too clearly though
yeah im looking for a tube amp as well, but there's so many out there its hard to know which are good. just wish i could try all them out before buying.
Just Sooo Jaded!

Quote by drunknpunk204
Why cant Helen Keller drive?
cause shes a woman
Invest that money in miking a small amp versus buying a bigger one. Joe Walsh has used 30watt amps for YEARS for all of his bands.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by Pr0gNut

As an owner of a hot rod deluxe ($350 mint off of craigslist best deal ever), and a frequent player of Super Champ XDs, I feel I must disagree with this opinion, but they are amazing amps nonetheless, by far the best in the price range.
UG's Prodigal Son
Quote by lunaticfringe93
As an owner of a hot rod deluxe ($350 mint off of craigslist best deal ever), and a frequent player of Super Champ XDs, I feel I must disagree with this opinion, but they are amazing amps nonetheless, by far the best in the price range.

I was talking about the new Bugera V series,not the SC .

But yeah,with a speaker and tube upgrade the super champ is by far my favorite small tube/modeling amp.Nothing excessive or overly technical,just practical tone shaping features.

Quote by thrench
I would say that the Vox Ac4tv would have be another consideration. I've recently picked one up and I must say it's very nice. You have the added advantage of the 1/4, 1 and full 4 Watts. I can easily get the 1/4 watt to breakup without piss off the neighbours and the 4 watt is beautifully clean. It's not covered in knobs like the Bugera, but I work on the theory that the less extras you get the better the sound..but hey that's just my opinion, I haven't tried to Bugera so I can't compare the two.

In the end it really depends on what you want from it.

Thrench

i can vouch for the terrific sound of that amp. my local store just got some of these like 2 weeks ago and i had my friend demo it. for 4 watts, you get some serious volume! if i had a use for a 4 watt tube amp, id buy one myself. you could also look into the orange tiny terror head. pretty sure its 7w/15w but i think those go for $400 new. orange makes a 1x12 cab that complements it nicely.

Quote by lunaticfringe93
As an owner of a hot rod deluxe ($350 mint off of craigslist best deal ever).

nice score man! i was playing the 4x10 last week and i considered trading in my crate for it. or was that the deville? either way, nice score.

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

I've had a Super Champ XD for a while as my practise amp - it's alright. Can't say it's amazing. The volume always jumps up when you switch from the clean to the distorted channels, so if you need to switch between them a lot, be aware you'll really need to stop and adjust the volume controls each time.

That said, it's the best and most convincing modelling amp I've come across. Not all of the tones are worth bothering with, but there's two or three that are decent. If you're only playing at home, it is indeed a great amp for practise use. I would never even remotely consider playing a show with it though or even using it for full band practise (though actually, it is loud enough).
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']They're a subsidiary of Behringer. They make nice, inexpensive tube amps, but the quality is rather cheap. All the ones I've played are cheaply built and just have a poor sound to them.

I saw a "The Tone King" review put the Bugera 1990 against a JCM900 head to head, and the tones were nearly identical, and this is a $600 amp vs. a $2000 amp.

I think the issues with Bugeras just had to do with either cheap tubes, "clips" (not sure what they are) and I think when they first came out they had bad transformers?