So after my first band in the start of 2009 kinda faded away. Mainly because of members times to practice did not fit nor did the second guitarist of the band work on learning the songs and because his musical intrest to a band like we were wasn't working out. I decided to spend time practicing and improving just as a guitarist, well now I am wanting to get into a band again or at least start my own project.

My idea was to start off by composing a small demo with a keyboardist and make that small demo and then look for people intrested in playing in that kind of style. Letting them hear the work on the demo to see if people are intrested in this kind of music, of course they still have some influence on how the band is.

So, my question is: Is it a bad idea to start of as a project, release a free demo online and then find a drummer, bassist, vocalist and any remaining spots that are empty so we can play live? (Basically turning the project into a band).

(By the way, we are already a Guitarist (Me) and a Keyboardist)
"Fly with me forever high
And with these wings
We'll set the world on fire
Fly with me through scorching skies
You and I - The lie of lies"

-Symphony X
It's a way of doing it if you plan on working with completely random musicians
and it's good to get some rough demos so people can get an idea of what style of music
however don't be suprised or offended if they try and change and re-structure your original songs
Gear
Ibanez SAS32EXFM White
Epiphone SG G400 White
Line 6 Flextone III+
Line 6 Spider III 120 (for sale £90)
It's a good idea I'd say.
you might have to sift through a few musicians to find the right one that meets your style.
Obviously you have to expect them to want to be a part of it too not just your monkey to play the instrument for ya.
Quote by superfish1232
It's a way of doing it if you plan on working with completely random musicians
and it's good to get some rough demos so people can get an idea of what style of music
however don't be suprised or offended if they try and change and re-structure your original songs

I really wouldn't be surprised or offended by anyone trying to re-structure my songs as long as they don't throw my songs away because that means they don't belong in the band or the band's style. I mean of course the "future" band members would have influence to the band.

So, I would love to hear more comments (from others) on this, do you think it is a good or bad idea? And why?

Edit: I noticed the new comments. I am not the one who is to just tell the musicians to do what I want them to do. I am just wanting to sort of pre-plan the style and then ofcourse the band members would help improve the style and come with their ideas and all that sort of things.
And with these wings

-Symphony X
Last edited by Gulli05 at Nov 28, 2009,
good good if your open minded to different ideas thats a good attitude for working in a band
i personally can't see any downsides
make sure you explain they are rough demos to help portray the style your aiming for
Gear
Ibanez SAS32EXFM White
Epiphone SG G400 White
Line 6 Flextone III+
Line 6 Spider III 120 (for sale £90)
Quote by superfish1232
good good if your open minded to different ideas thats a good attitude for working in a band
i personally can't see any downsides
make sure you explain they are rough demos to help portray the style your aiming for

Of course!

And if it doesn't work out I can always have this as a solo project of mine.
And with these wings

-Symphony X
Working on a solo project is an excellent idea. It will keep you in shape musically and help you get band members.

However, I would not add them into the recordings later. If you do that they probably won't turn out very well. If you want to still have other instruments then re-record the songs with the new members.
WARNING:This post contains explicit portrayals of violence; sex; violent sex; sexual violence; clowns and violent scenes of violent excess, which are definitely not suitable for all audiences.
My drummer and I are actually talking about starting off as a two man post-rock project, just playing live shows with drums, guitar, and synth loops, and just recruiting people if they wanna join in. Guess we'll see how it goes.
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
My original band started out basically this way. I had a bunch of songs written and demoed. I used that demo to prove to other musicians that I had my sh!t together, and they were recorded well enough that they had a good idea whether the musical direction was what they were looking for. In fact, based on the demo, I had interest from an indie label. Once I showed this level of commitment to my music, it became easier to sell it to those musicians that I needed in order to get those songs realized the way I wanted them to.

We got together, rehearsed the songs, recorded the album, and then did a few years of gigging. It worked out well enough that we got some airplay on both commercial and campus radio and TV, got some print media and web media behind us, and played main stage shows at large outdoor festivals.

But until I had my material to that stage, it was hard to interest people enough to commit to the project.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
I was about to say, that's how axeman did it. It's inspired me to write a complete album and record it in demo form then recruit more musicians.

It takes a lot of the hassle out of starting a new originals band if you already have the songs down. That said, as you go from band to band, you end up writing a lot of different songs which you take with you through them.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
thats a pretty solid idea as long as youre open to the new members wanting to change parts. actually, i think you may have given me an idea for my under-manned band lol