Hi all,

I am looking to get a custom guitar made for me with some variations on the standard guitar design. One of these variations is the guitar having 30 frets. I got the idea from the Kaira by Amfisound:

As you can see the neck pickup has to be moved closer to the bridge pickup to accommodate for the extra frets. I was wondering how this would change the sound of the neck pickup.

-IamSatai
Yes it does, it will sound like a middle pickup and not as nasaly and deep as a neck pickup.

Cut the crap! What are you trying to achieve with 30 frets?!? make it 27 at max on the high frets, that way you can still get an angled neck pickup in threre
it shouldn't do anything, the sound is based on the circuit and the pickup, it may be slightly different as the pickups are closer than normal but it shouldn't effect the sound greatly
Quote by EyeHatePunks
Yes it does, it will sound like a middle pickup and not as nasaly and deep as a neck pickup.

Cut the crap! What are you trying to achieve with 30 frets?!? make it 27 at max on the high frets, that way you can still get an angled neck pickup in threre

Hehe I just knew that i would get criticism for my 30 fret idea, well stolen idea. I'm trying to go for something a little different. I'm going for a 7 string, 27" scale, 30 fret guitar> This will have a large range, something I have wanted to explore for a while.

Feel free to make an argument about why I souldn't get 30 frets, it may save me from a mistake.

Thanks
Quote by SlashYourFug
The neck pickup won't sound nearly as warm. Also, unless your fingers are ridiculously thin, 30 frets won't do much good. The spacing is just too small to really use.
and the frets are too deep into the body that you wont be able to use them at all, except for tapping (but tapping on super high frets sounds like sh*t anyway, IMO)

TS: if you could getthe body cut in such a way that the frets are actually accesible for something, i would support you.
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Last edited by ldnovelo at Nov 28, 2009,
Quote by SlashYourFug
The neck pickup won't sound nearly as warm. Also, unless your fingers are ridiculously thin, 30 frets won't do much good. The spacing is just too small to really use.

I had this worry too but I worked out the fret spacing. The fret space would be 7.21mm on the 30th fret of a 27" scale neck. In comparison to the fact that the 24th fret on a 25".5 scale neck is 9.63mm its not too bad.

Thanks
Quote by ldnovelo
and the frets are too deep into the body that you wont be able to use them at all, except for tapping (but tapping on super high frets sounds like sh*t anyway, IMO)

TS: if you could getthe body cut in such a way that the frets are actually accesible for something, i would support you.

Yes, this too is solved with me designing a new body shape, as I have said I'm going for something a little different to the standard guitar.
Quote by IamSatai
Yes, this too is solved with me designing a new body shape, as I have said I'm going for something a little different to the standard guitar.

well... ok.

i'm fine with the 30 frets, then.

BTW, how much is it gonna be?
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
as people have already said, the neck pickup will be brighter, and not as deep as a traditional neck pickup. you'll still have a definite difference in bridge and neck pickup sounds, but it won't be AS different.

i've also heard people talk about how a 24 fret guitar can't achieve as good a tone as a 22 fret guitar because the pickup is placed directly over a harmonic point. i think it's a load of crap, the pickup's sound is all about how close to the bridge it is. but you might want to look up the effects of harmonic points on the guitar if you think that might be a factor.

and think about a 3 humbucker guitar; the middle pickup definitely has a distinct sound vs the bridge pickup. i don't think you'll have much of a problem.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Quote by ldnovelo
well... ok.

i'm fine with the 30 frets, then.

BTW, how much is it gonna be?

Its actually quite a fair price.

-$1200 for the guitar (no parts)
-$200 for custom case (to fit the unusual shape)
-$200 for shipping
-cost of parts (pickups, tuners, bridge)

I can supply him the parts,

I will probably go for custom pickups which he would supply. I also may go for a Kahler tremolo. Also, hipshot tuners.