Page 1 of 3
Well? By being "traditionally progressive", (time signature changes, etc.) using different or exotic instruments, using different harmonies, different vocal styles and ranges? how would you carve out your unique sound, and what genres would it fit into?

I write songs.
YOU SHOULD LISTEN TO THEM
Currently Requiring Crits:
none
Masturbate on the guitars.
Quote by Stormx
I tremble before your enormous penis.
Quote by molala2
and i farted, it was really stink
Quote by italiarlz135
Led Pepplin, you are god because of this thread.
Quote by josh999x, Brick23

You think I'm giving you my secrets?

But seriously the music I make myself is just usually keeping things simple and as melodically pleasing as possible or taking standard chord progressions from acoustic guitar and making them as complex as possible while still holding on to the simplicity of the original progression. I'm happy with what I get out of it.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
Last edited by Venice King at Nov 28, 2009,
By asking people on Ultimate Guitar what they do to create my unique...

...wait
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by Venice King
You think I'm giving you my secrets?

You make a band and put your music out there, you're effectively giving it out

I write songs.
none
Quote by WyvernOmega
You make a band and put your music out there, you're effectively giving it out

I was joking, it's a hard question to give an answer to but I editted in one anyway.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
by using lots of power chords and singing songs about girlfriends and how my dad was mean to me
Ideally, it would combine classic rock, heavy metal, pop and punk for something that's energetic yet melodic. A bit like what "metalcore" is trying to achieve, although for some reason I can't find any metalcore bands that I enjoy.

I doubt anyone would listen to that, though.

I know it's not original, but I like unoriginal music.
Last edited by sashki at Nov 28, 2009,
Quote by drunkass
by using lots of power chords and singing songs about girlfriends and how my dad was mean to me

I've been trying to fuse the sound and atmosphere of black metal with the complexity of technical progressive death metal. And lots of dissonance.

It's really hard...
What is mountains? A mountains has no special shapes or sound!

Epic Chill Broseph Of the Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join.

Quote by drunkass

korn?
I wouldn't force it with anything in particular. Whatever you get 'the feel' from should be what you go with, original or otherwise.

Alternatively, glockenspiel metal.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Pfft. I'm not telling you lot.
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Quote by kannon
korn?

I write songs.
none
By being better than everyone else. Talent rules.
Originally Posted by happytimeharry
Your avatar is creepy, yet incredibly hypnotic...

I do what I can

Originally Posted by FiNNi
@AlterEdge: On a side note, I laughed when I noticed pedobear was your avatar

Me too... me too...
Quote by StringAssassin
Instead drums and bass following guitar, guitar and drums follow lead bass.
Give this man a ****ing medal.
Quote by Stormx
I tremble before your enormous penis.
Quote by molala2
and i farted, it was really stink
Quote by italiarlz135
Led Pepplin, you are god because of this thread.
Quote by josh999x, Brick23

Quote by StringAssassin

Yeah Primus plays like that and they're pretty sweet
There's no way to be original, it just comes out of a mixture of influences and inspiration
Just play what you want to play, don't aim to sound completely different, otherwise you'll sound like you're trying too hard.

Quote by Spoonman69
Rap is music,far better than metal for example. id much rather hear about hoes and anal sex than dragons and supressed homosexuality.
Last edited by hugh20 at Nov 28, 2009,
Quote by hugh20
There's no way to be original, it just comes out of a mixture of influences and inspiration
Just play what you want to play, don't aim to sounds completely different, otherwise you'll sound like you're trying too hard.

What if you don't like the way you sound when you "just play" and are trying to find a sound you like?
just be youself
Quote by ultimatedaver
We're just trying to help man, cause it doesn't seem like you can get any pizza.
Whistlecore.

But seriously, odd time sigs and general progressiveness combined with a few eastern influences (i.e. scales, modes and a few of those sort of instruments instruments). I like to think that any music I write will be riduculously varied, ranging from acoustic-y stuff to full on progresive death metal.

stratkat
Quote by sashki
What if you don't like the way you sound when you "just play" and are trying to find a sound you like?

Then you might not sound original, if that's what you're looking for. Everyone has different influences and can only play like themselves. Eddie Van Halen plays like Eddie Van Halen and Jimmy Page plays like Jimmy Page. Of course they looked up to people to craft their own sound, but they put part of their unique playing styles into their playing, and were revolutionary.

Quote by Spoonman69
Rap is music,far better than metal for example. id much rather hear about hoes and anal sex than dragons and supressed homosexuality.
Play slap bass with my dick.
There's a special sex move I do called the Charizard.
It's where you light the girls pubes, then put it out with your cum and run around the room flapping your arms screaming, "You don't have enough badges to train me!"
Quote by StringAssassin

Joy Division...New Order?

Death surf anyone?
Quote by drunkass

so your going reinvent ____core?
Quote by WyvernOmega
Well? By being "traditionally progressive", (time signature changes, etc.) using different or exotic instruments, using different harmonies, different vocal styles and ranges? how would you carve out your unique sound, and what genres would it fit into?

I'd jizz in my pants after the girl I liked touched my hair.
I'm currently working on making a folkcore song. Not folk metal but folkcore.
Quote by Kensai

Quote by Lots O' FX
Why do you hate America?
Quote by thewho65
Two words: Electric harpsichord.

Then multiply that by ten.

Electric harpsichord? I've heard of the Clavinet (an electric clavichord), but electric harpsichord?

I'm not doubting they exist, but that's an interesting instrument.
I would use 4 diatonic chords on an acoustic guitar that repeat over and over again with a passive melody on top. The form will be simple binary.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
I would use 4 diatonic chords on an acoustic guitar that repeat over and over again with a passive melody on top. The form will be simple binary.

I think you're on to something, Xiaoxi.
Well I would use my style of playing (which is as of yet a bit dry and undeveloped) in a genre I love playing.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
The way I see it is I'd try to write music influenced by the genre I'm currently into, but more along the lines of how I'd want to hear it. It's pretty much just combining the elements that you like from certain bands, but that aren't satisfied enough.

You're still influenced by another band, but it'll probably sound different.
Oh f*ck it,
I'm gonna have a party.
I had the blankest year,
I watched life turn into a TV show.
It was totally weird.
Last edited by soXlittleXtimeX at Nov 28, 2009,
Page 1 of 3