Hey guys

I have these 2 pickups to choose from
http://www.tonerider.com/pickups/p90pickups.html

I wanna nail the classic p90 bite and i dunno which one to choose. The vintage aparentlly has that bite but i want something fat as well like the Hot one has.

Thing i have no idea about, are the magnets. Alnico II and Alnico V ?
If anyone used these could our please help me out.

Cheers
Can you afford both? The "vintage" as bridge pickup and the "hot" as neck pickup....deal?
Control your destiny.
Last edited by habits at Nov 28, 2009,
i just want the bridge for now as i don't have experience with Tonerider ...if i like ...sure i'll go for another pickup
but u haven't answered my question :P
Well I have the Gibson P90 Dog Ear Soap Bar Pickup with Alnico V Magnet.
http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/P90DC/Original_Gibson_P90_Dog_Ear_Soap_Bar_Pickup__Cream.html
I use it as neck pickup on my hollowbody guitar...it gives you a fat warm tone....but I don't have any experience with Alnico II Magnets...so I haven't any comparison between the two magnets...so obviously I can't help you out

edit: as mentioned above I use it as neck pickup on my hollowbody guitar, wich I use as a slide guitar; and the pickup fits perfectly for this style. On my regular guitar I allways use the bridge pickup (mainly for garage rock)...for this style I would prefer the "Vintage Style Pickup"
Control your destiny.
"but i still don't know the difference between Alnico II and V"

yeah, me too, sry can't help ya; maybe someone else got experience with both magnets.
Control your destiny.
i haven't tried either of those, but i imagine that they're going to sound fairly different, in addition to the output difference. all things being equal, alnico II sounds a lot spongier, warmer and softer than V, which sounds "rockier". V has a harder edge, but is still organic, and isn't as sterile as ceramic.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
This isn't always the case, as it depends on specifically how the pickup is wound, what your guitar is, what your amp is, what your playing style is and etc, but the Alnico II will get you closer to the original P-90 tone while a P-90 with Alnico V magnets sounds slightly more modern. I wouldn't call the Alnico V ''hotter'' nor ''fatter'' really, the difference is more in how they compress tone and react to your playing. An Alnico II magnet gives a more natural and varied response to playing dynamics while the Alnico V will compress your playing a little bit more.

If your playing is faster and more technical, I'd say go with the Alnico II for the added clarity. if your playing is more rhythm based or slower, I'd say go with the Alnico V for the more purposeful, even tone.

Though none of this matters without the right guitar and amp. With cheaper gear, you won't notice any difference between the two magnets. Unless your amp is articulate enough to make use of these subtle differences and unless your guitar is resonant enough to transfer them, you won't hear a difference.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
wow Dave an mr Flibble ..those posts were spot on. Thank your for clearing it up.

I play punk rock so its fast and i need the clarity, me beeing the only guitarist so i need to cover both rhythm and solo. Amp used is a vox ac155cc1X. The pickup will go in an Agile al2000 Goldtop. From what mrflibble said i'll prolly get the vintage one.

Thank you guys