Hey guys,

I am planning on buying my first electric guitar within the next couple of months. I still haven't made a decision on that, I'm thinking a PRS SE, but nothing is set in stone.

Anyways, I have been thinking about getting a Vox VT series amp. Now before, I was set on getting the 1x12 Vox VT50 amp. I will mainly play in my house or bedroom, but I have been in a band before and played live in smaller gigs, so my thought was to get something big enough in case I was to do a small gig, but also something I could use in a bedroom setting.

Is a the 50 watt version too much for bedroom playing? Will the amp not be able to show its potential since the volume will probably be below 1 in the bedroom? Do you think I should go with the VT30 instead? I was just unsure if the VT30 would be too small to do any gigs or jam sessions with a band. My thought is just that I don't want to buy an amp and then find out I have to buy a bigger one to suite my needs ya know?

What do you guys think? I appreciate your help!
I'm quite sure that the VT30 is very very loud, but you can change the power output at the back of the amp.

Not too sure about the 50 watt version, but I imagine there will be the same setting because it's only a bigger version of the VT30.
yep like they said there is a knob on the back of the vt50 that you can turn down to make it much less watts. you can have the volume knob at 10 with the watts at 5 and it will be managable. great feature IMO
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
yep like they said there is a knob on the back of the vt50 that you can turn down to make it much less watts. you can have the volume knob at 10 with the watts at 5 and it will be managable. great feature IMO

Awesome, I had not known of that feature. So in you're opinion I should definitely go for the 50 watt instead of the 30? One of the main reasons I had been looking at the 50 instead was because it has a 12 inch speaker and the VT30 only has a 10" speaker. I figured I should have at least 1x12" speaker if I would ever use it to play a small gig or for jamming with friends. Is that true? I mean I would love to get the VT30 if it would do everything I need it to. Less money, smaller, easier to transport. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks for the help so far!
VT50 all the way. The 12 inch speaker sounds more full and the 50 watts is great for small gigs. Course, I just watched a guy play a 15 watt Fender Blues Junior mic'ed up in front of like 600-700 people outdoors. So...it's up to preference. I just like how the 12 inch speaker sounds better.
Quote by sg4ever
VT50 all the way. The 12 inch speaker sounds more full and the 50 watts is great for small gigs. Course, I just watched a guy play a 15 watt Fender Blues Junior mic'ed up in front of like 600-700 people outdoors. So...it's up to preference. I just like how the 12 inch speaker sounds better.

Okay, that definitely helps. The 12" speaker sounding better seems to be the common consensus. And yeah, I guess it doesn't matter too much about wattage, almost every show that my old band played, the guitarists had their amps mic'd anyways (I was the singer, didn't play guitar for the band). It sounds like the VT50 is the way to go between those two. Is there another brand/model amp I should be looking at as well, or will I be happy with the VT series? I have played a guitar through the VT50, and I liked it quite a bit, even though I'm not that experienced in the electric realm, so my opinion isn't that valid.
VT50 will have more headroom. Long story short: It handles power better than the 30 and will sound tighter on lower volumes than the 30 would, it's got less work to do. As stated in the ultimate amp thread, it's like a ford vs a ferarri. Both can do 70mph but the ferarri does it better.

They both have a switch on the back allowing you to use the full 30/50 watts, or knock it down to 10, 5, 1, etc. Don't remember the exact wattage you can use but you can knock em both down to bedroom volumes. The 50 will do just fine for gigs. In an old band of mine (RIP), the other guitarist used a 30W spider 3, ran it through a PA or mic'd it. In that sense, a 5W amp can be used for gigs.

Isn't it crazy what technology can do nowadays? lol. Only gigs I've ever done were using a 75W spider.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.