But I'm not sure where to start. I'm looking for something to record a whole band with, live. I know I could over complicate everything and use a studio, but without the money for a studio, I need a device of sorts that can record decent quality auto.

Budget: $100-$150

Thanks.
I use an "I-Key". You tape the tape record out of the mixer directly in to this it converts Analogue To Digital. This is recorded on to a flash drive. Can record for hours at Wav quality depending on flash drive.http://www.ikey-audio.com/ikey.htm . Also low cost about $100.
I use an "I-Key". You take the tape record out of the mixer directly in to this it converts Analogue To Digital. This is recorded on to a flash drive. Can record for hours at Wav quality depending on flash drive.http://www.ikey-audio.com/ikey.htm . Also low cost about $100.
any recording interface with two line-ins and a laptop, you're also going to need a mixer, which I'm assuming you already have, just run the line outs from your mixer into the interface, that's probably your best bet given your budget.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
I'm in the process of turning my RP355 into a recording interface, but i need some cables and a monitors to do that. On top of that, i'd need a laptop.

I don't have a mixer. I'm looking to be able to record stuff, I need to record an audio tape of my band for this thing our school is doing called BandJam..
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
I'm in the process of turning my RP355 into a recording interface, but i need some cables and a monitors to do that. On top of that, i'd need a laptop.

I don't have a mixer. I'm looking to be able to record stuff, I need to record an audio tape of my band for this thing our school is doing called BandJam..

You're going to need a mixer, and microphones, and whatnot, honestly if you only have $100 I would look around your area to see if anyone has a project or demo studio that they would let you use to record a couple of tracks for $100, because there's no way you can afford the equipment you'd need to make anything resembling a decent live recording for that much.

Last.fm
I'll try to explain what I'm trying to do.

I just want to be able to record decent quality tracks, with a full band. I'm not looking to do anything professional. We just need to do some recordings of the 3 songs we're gonna do for this thing called Band Jam at our school.
like I said, you still need way more equipment if you want anything better quality than those audience bootlegs you find on youtube.
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Tascam-DR07-Handheld-Digital-Recorder?sku=580037

you can try something like that, but unless you are in a room with great acoustics and are really good at setting your amps and whatnot it will still be pretty shitty.

EDIT: first link I posted was wrong item, it doesn't have a pair, fixed.

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Nov 29, 2009,