Page 1 of 2
...or it might as well be. I've upgraded the transformer in my Peavey Valveking from the stock one to a Weber 45 watt. It's a LOT more musical sounding, and alot better for metal. Tighter. More defined. A bit crunchier. All the notes in a palm mute produce a very satisfying chug. The amp is more 3-dimensional. Really makes the amp come alive, you could say.

Of course, that's all for the OD channel. Not much difference on the clean channel, which was already pretty good.

No pictures, as I've got no camera. I'd upload clips, but my interface is dead. Sorry UG.

Honestly, this is probably the best mod one can do for the amp as it makes the most difference. Then I'd say the bias mod comes second, then tubes, then the speaker swap.

By the way, yes, the amp is very worth it once you do this mod.

In the mean time, you can check out clips on my profile with the stock transformer and my EQ, which I think sounds pretty good, albeit kinda harsh.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Last edited by Raijouta at Nov 28, 2009,
i would need to hear it a/b'ed with the old transformer just because im skeptical about everything lol.
congrats on being even happier than before with your amp though. ive always felt those were pretty decent amps for the price.

if you dont mind me asking, how much did the transformer cost you, and (if you didnt do it yourself) how much were you charged for having it installed?
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
That sounds awesome! I look forward to clips, whenever you can make them. HNAD

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Cost me $58 shipped and about 40 bucks to have it installed.

I can't a/b it, unfortunately, cause I don't have the old transformer anymore.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
I have an old Bandit 112 from the ninties that's a solid state version of that amp, basically. I've been fairly unsatisfied for a long time with my sound through that amp. It's got a pretty awesome clean channel that I'm not sure I want to change, and the gain channel is nice for Metallica styled older stuff or, when dialing back the gain, getting a nice OD tone for little solos and lightly distorted parts, but I have been considering some mods to try and improve the thing.

tl;dr
Do you have any advice for someone with an older solid state peavy amp to do something like this kind of mod to improve tone in a similar way? I am looking to get a bit more of a modern gain sound.
Quote by Raijouta
Cost me $58 shipped and about 40 bucks to have it installed.

I can't a/b it, unfortunately, cause I don't have the old transformer anymore.

Should asked for the old transformer back to frame it on your bedroom wall
Anyways, Congrats once again!
You're now one of the few brethren in the league of extraordinary VK owners.
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
I'm not sure that the Bandit 112 is a solid state version of the Valveking (whose clean circuit is based on a Fender Silverface, and the distortion circuit on the JCM 900) Never heard that before. The Peavey Prowler was the predecessor of the Valveking.

Not sure about changing a transformer on the Bandit, but it certainly couldn't hurt. Same with speakers.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Pic or its a MG + Spider hybird

oh,its Raij NAD,NVM
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
Quote by Raijouta
I'm not sure that the Bandit 112 is a solid state version of the Valveking

Well, I mean, all those amps are somewhat along the same lines. There's modern versions (that are solid state) of my amp, and then there's the tube series they make (the VK) that are all somewhat similar, as far as I know.

But thanks for the advice.
Quote by Raijouta
I'm not sure that the Bandit 112 is a solid state version of the Valveking (whose clean circuit is based on a Fender Silverface, and the distortion circuit on the JCM 900) Never heard that before. The Peavey Prowler was the predecessor of the Valveking.

Not sure about changing a transformer on the Bandit, but it certainly couldn't hurt. Same with speakers.

Is it switchable like mine 4, 8, 16, 32 ohm?
Charlie 5e3 Build
08LPRobo,08 Fnd Strat DLX,07LP
11Fnd Tel MIM Dlx W/Tronical Tune
VK112 , Bias Pot
VK WIKI
Nah, the guy didn't install the switch. I should've probably had that done.

Do transformers break in?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Quote by Raijouta
Nah, the guy didn't install the switch. I should've probably had that done.

Do transformers break in?

"Thermal cycling and running magnetizing currents through the transformer (playing the amp) will definitely sweeten things up in that period of time [20-40 hours of hard playing]."

that info was based on a MM OT, so it might not be quite the same with the Heybouer but I imagine it probably will a bit.
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
Yes, it will to some extent. I noticed a difference after a few days. Did you have him do a choke?
Charlie 5e3 Build
VK112 , Bias Pot
VK WIKI
I was going to ask about the choke too. When I put the choke in mine, I did notice a little more 'oomph' in the lows. If you're playing a lot of palm muted metal, probably be worth it if you didn't do it already.
Nah. Didn't put in a choke. Will probably do so somewhere down the line.

I'm a bit disappointed that my thread didn't garner more response.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Quote by Raijouta

I would say you should be very glad with the OT change. The improvement in your amp should be sufficient.
Charlie 5e3 Build
VK112 , Bias Pot
VK WIKI
Quote by Raijouta

That's because there's no content.
Congrats anyhow.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
That's because there's no content.
Congrats anyhow.

I guess he needs pictures. Some guys can't read and just look at the pictures!
Charlie 5e3 Build
VK112 , Bias Pot
VK WIKI
Quote by Raijouta

I require clips for adequate judgement, as I have hated every VK that I've played personally, but at this point you've basically replaced every component that's not soldered onto the PCB, so it might legitimately be a great amp now.

However, I am still somewhat unconvinced that the VK is an optimal choice as a budget amp as it takes a considerable amount of time and effort to make it excel in what it is originally intended to do.
Quote by imicius
I require clips for adequate judgement, as I have hated every VK that I've played personally, but at this point you've basically replaced every component that's not soldered onto the PCB, so it might legitimately be a great amp now.

However, I am still somewhat unconvinced that the VK is an optimal choice as a budget amp as it takes a considerable amount of time and effort to make it excel in what it is originally intended to do.

Considerable amount of time and effort? wat.

Used VK = $250. New OT ($60 + $40 labor) a turnaround time of a week, and speaker ($60) = $160. That's $420, the same as a new Valveking 112.

A used VK 112 often comes with new speakers and tubes too.

I'll upload clips when I get access to an interface. I have clips up on my profile from before I changed the OT. Check 'em out, maybe.

I haven't replaced the reverb either. I like the stock tank, but I haven't compared it to any others. I might replace it with an Accutronics longplate tank though.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Last edited by Raijouta at Nov 28, 2009,
Quote by Raijouta
Considerable amount of time and effort? wat.

Used VK = $250. New OT ($60 + $40 labor) a turnaround time of a week, and speaker ($60) = $160. That's $420, the same as a new Valveking 112.

A used VK 112 often comes with new speakers and tubes too.

I'll upload clips when I get access to an interface. I have clips up on my profile from before I changed the OT. Check 'em out, maybe.

I haven't replaced the reverb either. I like the stock tank, but I haven't compared it to any others. I might replace it with an Accutronics longplate tank though.

You may change my mind then.
Cool man, can't wait to hear clips!
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Neither can I.

For topics' sake, what do the clips in my profile sound like?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Congratz man, I've been doing a lot of stuff to my VK too. New tubes, speaker, EQ pedal, and the Cool Cat OD have me more than satisfied. The thing that made the biggest difference is going to be in my NGD thread I'm getting ready to do however, if you wanna check that in a few.......
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
sounds like a retard playing a uke

JK, happy NTD!!!
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
I will admit my clips do sound pretty shit.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
It's not that high gain, I don't think . The new transformer made it tighter and more defined, "punchier", so I'd say it's actually worse for sludge now.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Quote by chea_man
i would need to hear it a/b'ed with the old transformer just because im skeptical about everything lol.
congrats on being even happier than before with your amp though. ive always felt those were pretty decent amps for the price.

Agreed. Before and After pics and clips would have made this New Upgrade Day sexier.

Since when?

seriously, Happy New Transformer Day!

As you know, I've been a big supporter of the VK for some time. I've replaced the speaker and the preamp tubes and I think the transformer is the next logical step. We may not always agree on what upgrades affect the tone the most but I think we agree that good tones can be had with this amp.

PS: I always thought your clips were good.

My playing is pretty shoddy, though, and they're not double tracked or anything like that.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Quote by Raijouta

SS amps don't have OTs.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
What OT did you get?

Quote by IROn 5L1nKY
I have an old Bandit 112 from the ninties that's a solid state version of that amp, basically. I've been fairly unsatisfied for a long time with my sound through that amp. It's got a pretty awesome clean channel that I'm not sure I want to change, and the gain channel is nice for Metallica styled older stuff or, when dialing back the gain, getting a nice OD tone for little solos and lightly distorted parts, but I have been considering some mods to try and improve the thing.

tl;dr
Do you have any advice for someone with an older solid state peavy amp to do something like this kind of mod to improve tone in a similar way? I am looking to get a bit more of a modern gain sound.

lulz. srsly.
Weber 45w OT.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Well, the model name is Weber OT45HHR, I think.

I can't wait to see how my VK sounds when I get my EQ back.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Quote by mmolteratx
SS amps don't have OTs.

Some high-end SS amps use 1-1 OTs to mimic the feel of transformer sag... But the one in question certainly won't.

And an OT does make quite a big difference; but only when the original OT is crap. If your amp is "good" (read: well designed without cheaping out) then you probably won't notice much of a difference with a new transformer.

I still maintain that changing the speaker is the thing that will get yield the biggest changes in tone in most situations.

but glad you found something that works for you.
For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
Cool - sounds like something I will probably get done at some point in the future.

Can't wait to hear the clips.
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Epiphone SG CS Ltd Ed 1966 Reissue
Cort M200/WS
Richwood RS17CCE acoustic
Hayden Mofo
Harley Benton 2x12 Celestion V30

My Band - Haemasmtha
Quote by power freak
Some high-end SS amps use 1-1 OTs to mimic the feel of transformer sag... But the one in question certainly won't.

And an OT does make quite a big difference; but only when the original OT is crap. If your amp is "good" (read: well designed without cheaping out) then you probably won't notice much of a difference with a new transformer.

I still maintain that changing the speaker is the thing that will get yield the biggest changes in tone in most situations.

Hello

where did you come from? Do you own a VK? Yes, the speaker is a huge upgrade obviously. A new OT on this amp takes the whole giddy up into a new orbit.
Quote by power freak

Let me put it to you this way! The stock OT is Chinese. As for quality, it is reliable but as for sound to your ears the Weber WOT45HHR is better and can be wired for ohm selection. You can then run any cabinet with your VK112. That is a big plus! On the VK212 or VK100 you can use the WOT100HHR. Everyone who has installed the new OT's whether Weber or Heybouer or MM has been very satisfied with the difference. That alone tells me that the Chinese stock OT's are not that good.
Charlie 5e3 Build
VK112 , Bias Pot
VK WIKI
Quote by power freak

Completely disagree.

The transformer is a big part of how an amp sounds. Just look at the SLO, people can copy the circuit, but it's impossible to get the exact tone without the oversized transformer that they use.

I've heard Peaveys and Mesas that have "good" transformers in them, that were upgraded to MM transformers and they sounded WAY better. New transformers can add clarity, tightness and just overall a better sound to the amp
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Page 1 of 2