Im looking for a relatively cheap tube head that i can use live and for practice.

I was thinking about the Peavey Valveking and modding the shiz out of it, A B-52, Bugera 333 or even going up in price bracket to a 6150

I was wondering though how overkill these amps are for bedroom use. Will they ever get to a point where they sound good or are the doomed to life on 1-3 volume
well if its strictly for bedroom practice then 50 watts is WAYYY too much. but if you are gigging also then go for it.
What kind of music are you playing? If you're playing high gain then those amps will still sound good at 1 you don't want tube saturation for high gain styles generally
Tube amps are loud. 5w tube amps are loud. Do not get an amp based on bedroom playing if you are going to use it for practice/gigging. Realistically, you can just play unplugged if you don't like the noise.
well i dont know how similar the head is to the combo amp, but my valveking 112's volume knob is very sensitive. It can go from quite to HEYLETMEWAKEEVERYONE very quickly from just a minor tweak on the volume knob. Go play the head and see if it holds true to other valvekings. the stock tubes/speakers in VKs suck and there are definitely things you need to buy to get the most out of the amp like a clean boost, distortion/crunch, external equalizer, attenuator (not necessary but you'll need one sooner or later) and a noise suppressor.
Quote by Twist of fate
Once, I watched Star Wars episode 4. I timed myself so that I came right when the death star blew up.

Afterwards, Han Solo said "Great shot kid, that was one in a million!"
Quote by AxSilentxLine
What kind of music are you playing? If you're playing high gain then those amps will still sound good at 1 you don't want tube saturation for high gain styles generally

yeah mainly high gain metal and br00tz0rz

Does the same apply to Solid States aswell, because i was thinking about getting a Randall G3 aswell and their 100 watts but i was thinking theorerically transistor amps should sound the same at all volumes but i dunz
i don't know what would be wrong with a high wattage amp in a bedroom, unless your goal is to push and amp into power tube saturation, then even if it is a 5w amp. tube amps are not conducive to quiet playing. if you are into pure 'bedroom playing' then you might as well go garage band software with computer speakers.

i guess it is some kinda secret that 100 watt tube amps can actually play quietly. or maybe you are assuming that a tube amp is not worth using unless you're pushing the hell out of it...

alright, i'll stop picking at the logic for large amps and bedroom compatibility and share my experience. i had a 150 watt music man hd212 for years before i ever got another amp and i used it in my bedroom for a very long time. the only thing i had to do was turn the master volume knob to 7 and the channel volume to 1 or 2. it was fine.

edit: ss will sound more 'flat' across a range of volume. the big difference will be that tube amps pick up some characteristics that many people find favorable when the amp is driven close to it's operation range. whereas a ss amp will definitely want to work within it's operational range, as i have not met anyone who enjoys a SS driven to it's limits.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Nov 28, 2009,
50w tube heads still sound good at low volumes, and if you're gigging or rehearsing too then I see nothing wrong with it.
Quote by TheBackHouse
yeah mainly high gain metal and br00tz0rz

Does the same apply to Solid States aswell, because i was thinking about getting a Randall G3 aswell and their 100 watts but i was thinking theorerically transistor amps should sound the same at all volumes but i dunz

The "amp" itself will, but speakers can be a bitch. My AD30VT sounded shit at lower volumes with the Eminence Copperhead speaker, but great at higher volumes.
Quote by GURREN LAGANN
The "amp" itself will, but speakers can be a bitch. My AD30VT sounded shit at lower volumes with the Eminence Copperhead speaker, but great at higher volumes.

ive got a Johnson USA cab stock loaded with Celestion Vintage 30's so shouldnt be a problem
I don't know how they react volume wise. The Copperhead isn't a cheap-ass speaker or anything, it's cheaper than a Celestion but still very decent. It's just designed more for tube amps that are meant to be cranked. Still way better than the stock speaker.
Quote by GURREN LAGANN
I don't know how they react volume wise. The Copperhead isn't a cheap-ass speaker or anything, it's cheaper than a Celestion but still very decent. It's just designed more for tube amps that are meant to be cranked. Still way better than the stock speaker.

this is true...now enough about speakers, back to amps
You'll be much happier with a 100W amp at 1 that is designed for high gain than a 15W amp at 3 that you have to boost to even begin to get into metal. The fact is that the amps you listed are designed for high gain, it's what they do well even at low volumes. I A/B my 6505+ with my mate's Tiny Terror and there's no comparison. The Peavey absolutely destroys the Orange in the high gain area even at low volumes, and once you start cranking the volume knob it just gets sweeter from there
I wouldn't really agree with that. While most "metal" distortion comes from preamp a lot of people agree the difficulty with nailing it with some SS amps/pedals is because the little bit of power amp distortion you get really adds WHOOMPH to your sound.

The Tiny Terror isn't really designed for metal. It's an AC15 with an extra gain stage.
That's my point. TS should go for an amp designed for metal since he wants to play metal. It just so happens that most of them are high wattage. The volume knob was invented for a reason. Tube saturation is generally not a desirable thing when you're playing metal it makes things muddy.
the same question is interesting me.i wanna get a 6505+ but i want to know is the clean channel ok or does it suck big time.i also a bedroom player but sooner or later i will jam with mi friends at some place a start playing more seriously so i think i can live with 60w tube amp at home.or not ?
I have a 6505+ and with a nice chorus the clean channel performs quite well. If you are going to start jamming I would recommend the 6505+ it is fine at bedroom levels (despite popular belief) and you will be glad to have the extra headroom when you start jamming/gigging.
you have a 6505+ head.and im after the combo which is made in china.i dont really think those two can be compared as "same" or not?
Quote by davor2705
you have a 6505+ head.and im after the combo which is made in china.i dont really think those two can be compared as "same" or not?

They're going to sound basically the same. The 112 combo's just made in China, while the head and 212 combo are MIA.
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera
I just upgraded the output transformer in my Valveking and it's easily the best mod I've ever done for it. Alot more "metal"-sounding now.

I say go for a used Valveking ($250) and swap the transformer ($60) and speaker ($60), which will run you about $120 + $40 in labor for the output transformer swap.

Hell, you can find a used VK with a new speaker and tubes alot of the time, so half your cost would disappear.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??