IMO that looks really ugly, but if you want, get it. I've heard only good things about Tokai and only bad things about Epiphone.

If you think about it, Gibson (who's QC is terrible anyway) has to distinguish between the actual Gibson and the Epiphones.
I have a ponytail fetish.
..And a labcoat fetish. SCIENCE!
I don't really have much experience with Les Pauls but when I was thinking of getting one I was thinking the Tokai rather than the Epiphone just because of reviews and whatnot, but that's all it was based on I'm afraid, never played a Tokai
Thanks guys. I'll read on this site and others for further reviews on both models.

AntiG3, I had a delve around the site and found some other colours
Vintage Sunburst
Black Ebony
Cherry Sunburst
Honey Sunburst
Lemon Drop

Looking at the prices though, both have a general price of £299-399 (are the range of colours available on an Epiphone LP really worth the extra £100 on top of the ebony version?).

So, given the oppurtunity to buy one for £250, I must say I'm tempted

al112987, could you please explain a bit better about the differences between the MIJ and MIK Tokais, as the shop site describes it as just a 'Tokai'?

Thanks again,
Raj
Last edited by raj_1995 at Nov 28, 2009,
Quote by al112987
a MIJ Tokai and a MIK Tokai are not the same thing.

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Honestly, being in the UK, go with Vintage instead. You can get their top LP copy, the Vintage Advance AV1H for £219. The regular Vintage models are okay - nothing special - but these Vintage Advance models are really great, certainly better than the Epiphones at the same price and arguably better than the Tokais too. With the Tokai you're getting just an agathis body and a maple neck (agathis is much brighter sounding than mahogany which is the traditional Les Paul material, and the maple neck will brighten this even further) and generic no-brand hardware; the Vintage Advance series uses Wilkinson hardware and pickups (as good as you can get in this price range, even some £600-ish guitars use Wilkinson hardware), a full mahogany body with a maple cap, a mahogany neck, a synthetic bone nut (not flawless, but much better than the basic plastic one the Tokai and Epiphones have), a variable coil split control (the pickups can be changed from humbuckers to single coils or any position in-between, e.g. you could set it to be a humbucker but with one coil at only half power so it has a much brighter and clearer tone while still being hum-less) and vintage's thumb cut out above the neck joint (which makes upper fret access slightly easier for people who don't have huge hands).

Really with Vintage around, there's not much reason for anyone in the UK to buy any other type of guitar in the -£300 price range.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by AntiG3
IMO that looks really ugly, but if you want, get it. I've heard only good things about Tokai and only bad things about Epiphone.

If you think about it, Gibson (who's QC is terrible anyway) has to distinguish between the actual Gibson and the Epiphones.

this post is just a fail
Quote by MrFlibble
... Really with Vintage around, there's not much reason for anyone in the UK to buy any other type of guitar in the -£300 price range.
This is consistent with what I've heard/read about the Vintage model; however, if raj_1995 wants a MIJ version/copy, check out the Classified Ads here: http://www.tokaiforum.com/

An MIJ Tokai is about £900 last time I checked which isn't in the same league as a £300 purchase.
Moving on.....
I played a Tokai LS75, up against a Les Paul Deluxe.
I bought the Tokai. Was better, by quite a margin.
ᶌῖᶌα ɭα ɌεᶌσɭƲʈιʘϰ
Thanks all, this advice is really appreciated

Quote by MrFlibble
With the Tokai you're getting just an agathis body and a maple neck (agathis is much brighter sounding than mahogany which is the traditional Les Paul material, and the maple neck will brighten this even further)

Isn't the Tokais body made from Alder?

http://www.guitarbitz.com/1167.htm

Other than that, many thanks Mr Flibble for clearing up a lot of information there that will be invaluable in making my final decision.

I won't be getting another guitar after this for a long time (one reason being I need a new amp- my current one is a piece of sh*t), so I obviously want to get the best guitar for my money

Thanks again,
Raj
Last edited by raj_1995 at Nov 30, 2009,
you can get the MIJs for more like £500-£600 if you know where to look- richtone has some around the £600 mark, i think. that's still a lot more than £250, of course.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
+759972
Richtone's somehow kept the price on the loverock II (DC) at 600 quid, which is a bargain. An ls150's gone up 50% in 2 years. If you can stretch, the doublecut is an amazing piece of guitar for £600.

Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Quote by AntiG3

Obviously you haven't been around enough to hear any of the good things about epiphones *Cough* elites *Cough*
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
Quote by jimbob78
+759972
Richtone's somehow kept the price on the loverock II (DC) at 600 quid, which is a bargain. An ls150's gone up 50% in 2 years. If you can stretch, the doublecut is an amazing piece of guitar for £600.

i'm guessing they're NOS ones bought at the old prices. But either way, as you say, good value compared to the prices of the newer ones.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by al112987
a MIJ Tokai and a MIK Tokai are not the same thing.

They make the cheaper models in China now, not Korea, so the quality is a bit lower than they were about 5 years ago on the cheap ones.

But yeah, I wouldn't probably bother with a MiC Tokai unless I wanted a beater for stage use. The MiJ ones are amazing though and I'd take them any day of the week. Saying that though, the MiC Tokai are still just as good as their price:price competitors, just not so mind blowing as the MiJ ones.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Either the Vintage Av1h or This It's the Epi Elitist for European markets. And look at the price . I wish I had money . But you should really go for it.
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
Also have a look at TC Ellis range of guitars, they have a les paul series for about £250
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Thanks for all the information and suggestions everyone!

Will have another browse through the Tokais (and other manufacturers of LPs and also other styles) after Christmas, and then make my mind up what I do.

Thanks for the info though, it will be invaluable when making my final decision
Quote by edge11
Obviously you haven't been around enough to hear any of the good things about epiphones *Cough* elites *Cough*

*Cough*elitist*Cough*
ᶌῖᶌα ɭα ɌεᶌσɭƲʈιʘϰ