Hey does anybody know a good computer for recording? My budget is pretty cheap, it should be like a regular computer so ican surf the web, use msn, facebook, upload pics and video but those functions can be average, i want it to be good for recording and still have basic function. I was looking at a indamixx special edition netbook, but i dont know if i can divide the operating system in 2, one for linux and one for microsoft so i could work with word etc...or if i have to buy accesoroies to record

so... anybody knows a good computer that works like a computer, and works for good recording and is cheap, like 600 bucks,? in other words, not a mac! xP
don't even bother with a laptop in that price range, build a desktop yourself, also you can generally set up pretty much any PC to dual boot both Windows and Linux.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Get at least a core 2 duo desktop computer and max it out. Processor and memory are the biggest bottlenecks for recording. This includes mac mini (600$) with the added bonus of being able to use Logic. Macs can also handle Linux and Windows fine.

Right now, I'm using a refurb Dell I upgraded as a gaming machine. Cost a whopping 500$ inc new video card and runs fine. You can hand build a computer for the same price if you have the cash on hand, I would have done the same under better circumstances.
I bought an ACER 5735 - Dual Core 2.0 ghz Intel Processor with 2-gigs of ram, 15.6 Widescreen, etc. I paid $399 at Best Buy - and I record with it and it works GREAT! I'm going to add 2 more gigs of ram ($50) but right now it works fine running Windows 7 Ultimate and Sonar Producer 8.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Sonar producer is a bit too expensive for a broke amateur like me, id probably end up buying an ok laptop or desktop and buying a separate sound card
a mac mini would be a good alternative, but id also have to buy tons of accesories, well good things dont come cheap, id just wich theyd come a little cheaper...it doesnt have to have the best sound quality in the world, just enough so i can record a few demos and be satisfied with them withoud the annoying high latency that comes with cheap recording hardware.