I inherited a left handed gibson les paul custom from my uncle and because it'd be pretty sweet to keep in the family, I want to look into reversing it to a righty. I know the main method is to get a new nut that's reversed, but the les paul has the slanted tailpeice that i've been told can cause trouble if switched.
Does anyone know of this working without ruining the guitar or needing to drill more holes? And if done, any tuning or intonation problems from using the reverse slanted tailpeice.
Also, i'm taking this to a local place, willies american guitars, that does high quality work so it wouldn't be me ruining a nice guitar. Any help is appreciated.
1. Why ask us if you can ask the tech who'll be working on it?

2. Since you're asking us, why not try to set it up yourself? A new nut will be in order, but it'll probably not intonate perfectly, even with the saddles as far back as they can go.
I Japanese Fenders
MIJ '86 Strat, MIJ '95 Foto Flame Tele, Jackson JSX-94
Schecter C-1 Classic 3TSB, Takamine EG544SC-4C
Warwick Corvette Fretless MIJ '89 P-Bass Lyte
Fender Geddy Lee Sig Bass, Ibanez DTT700 Destroyer
For a proper conversion, wouldn't you need to switch the cutaway to the other side?

Without this, it would look weird when you were playing, as the guitar would seem upside down. It would also be impractical, due to lack lower fret access.
RIP Tom Searle.
Last edited by MH400 at Nov 28, 2009,
Without getting the body turned around, you would be defeating the purpose of a Les Paul.
Ibanez Saber Series Owner!

Don't jump on the bandwagon, Line 6 Spider III's Aren't that bad!

B.U.C.K.E.T.H.E.A.D.

Quote by kirkwannabe

You, goonerbynature, win teh internetz.

Quote by b4t3man

Gold.

Quote by whitenihilist

Get it double cut in a way that makes it look right when played right handed
or learn to play left handed? :P
BS.
Don't ruin that guitar by contaminating it with right-handed-ness. Leave it alone for the next lefty in the family. He/she would be blessed by the gods of guitar playing.
(I'm a lefty by the way... which probably explains why I'm appalled.)

Have a sizzlin' day,
AJ
Quote by conor1148
who cares if they're drawn,

boobies

Gear:
Peavey Supreme 100W head
Crate 4x12 cab
Epiphone Les Paul Standard+
Modded Johnson Stratocaster
I'm asking UG cause I like second opinions, there are some things that techs may not think of, mention, or even know of in regards to this.

I see how it's different than switching a strat, but i don't see a much bigger loss of fret access than a strat. around the 17-19th fret the strat and les paul, access would be cut off. having 90% of the fretboard is still a very playable guitar. I'd rather find it a new home than cut it up in an irreversible way.
Im a lefty and can tell you a righty LP is a nightmare to play backwards. LPs arent real balanced as is moving the strap button even further back to convert it will really give it neck dive. And of course the upper fret access is gonna be nonexistant. It depends on the guitar whether or not there will be enough travel on the bridge saddles to intonate. Some will have enough and some will never intonate.
Quote by Tackleberry
Im a lefty and can tell you a righty LP is a nightmare to play backwards. LPs arent real balanced as is moving the strap button even further back to convert it will really give it neck dive. And of course the upper fret access is gonna be nonexistant. It depends on the guitar whether or not there will be enough travel on the bridge saddles to intonate. Some will have enough and some will never intonate.

Thanks tackelberry, I hadn't considered a lefty's position on playing right handed guitars, you have good points. I hadn't considered the strap button or any balance issue.
It's a bitch, but i think you should just learn to play left handed or leave it alone.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
I would like to have a gibson LP but they dont make any of the cheaper models in lefty. They arent like strats where they are usable upside down. As the cheapest lefty gibson LP is 2500$ and flipping one wont work I dont see me owning a gibson anytime soon.
i would say just keep it as it is, as a memory of your uncle, display it or something.
a left to right hand conversion isn't really going to work and its a bit of a waste