Ive searchbarred and checked the stickies could see anything

thats right im looking for a as cheap (~£1000GBP) recording setup but dont know what im actually looking at is anything good including:

-the computer its self + sequencer - Mac or PC ?? could i use my existing PC?
-sequencer (M-powered Protools 8?)
- Audio interface-needs phantom power-(would a M-Audio Fast Track Ultra be good?)
-mics - Dynamic and condensers (SM57? AT2020?)
-XLR/jack
ect- have i missed anything ?

Edit: the style that will be recoreded is Metal.

-as you can proberally tell im new to this recording .. take it easy on me

-im only going to be focusing on Guitars/bass/vox at the moment and will upgrade to recording drums when i get more money

-DONT MAKE THIS INTO MAC VS PC THRED

EDIT the PC im using now is a DELL its specs are:

Intel pentium 4 CPU 2.80GHz
2.79GHz,512MB RAM
windows XP home Edition
Quote by rgrockr
You can buy whatever guitar you want, you don't have to be at a certain skill level to buy one. This is real life, not some guitar-playing RPG where you have to unlock new guitars.
Last edited by kakos at Dec 19, 2009,
macbook pro
logic studio 9 ($250 on ebay..a $600 program)
LINE 6 TONEPORT UX2- awesome interface!
Guitar Rig!!
Equipment:
ESP LTD EC-1000
Agile 727 Interceptor Pro
Ibanez RG7321
Marshall 1960A Cab
Peavey 6505+
Rack stuff

Whoop Whoop. Holla.
I would suggest building a PC with an Intel i5 CPU and at least 3 gigs of Ram, you'll also want a firewire card. for the software, you can run Reaper (unlimited free trail and a license is like $60) for the interface I would suggest a Presonus firebox to start out with.

I don;t know what genres you are looking to record so I'll hold back on mic reccomendations, but I will say you should get a Sure SM57 for micing your amps.

Quote by Jigsaw62
macbook pro
logic studio 9 ($250 on ebay..a $600 program)
LINE 6 TONEPORT UX2- awesome interface!
Guitar Rig!!

This guy said cheap...

Also running a toneport and guitar rig with a pro level computer setup is kind of silly, like taking a $3,000 PRS and playing it through a Marshall MG.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Nov 28, 2009,
You could save money by not buying a pro, just a macbook. For basic recording, you don't need the pro at all.

For mics, you'll definitely want an SM57 for vocals (at least to get yourself off the ground, it's the industry standard almost). Good, solid, nearly unbreakable and not that expensive. A DI box will be needed for bass as well (Well, it's not but to keep it easy, it is). You can look at something like an AKG D112 for recording bass instruments. It's actually used for recording bass drums but you can use it for a bass guitar, double bass, anything like that. A mic has a lot of applications. The SM57 can be used for vocals, snares, tom toms, anything like that. You won't really have to buy anymore mics when you come to drums, only overheads because they're condenser microphones, not dynamic (the SM57 and AKG112 are both dynamic).
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

you could save even more money buy not buying a Mac, or any sort of laptop for that matter, laptops are not cheap, and aren't really ideal for audio work anyway due to having slower CPUs, limited firewire/USB ports and not being able to use PCI cards.

Last.fm
thanks all... is it worth getting Macbook and using Garage band as the sequancer..... or is garage band shiit?

i have no idea on how to build or assemble PC either so going down that routes gonna be hard
Quote by rgrockr
You can buy whatever guitar you want, you don't have to be at a certain skill level to buy one. This is real life, not some guitar-playing RPG where you have to unlock new guitars.
Last edited by kakos at Nov 28, 2009,
Quote by kakos
thanks... is it worth getting Macbook and using Garage band as the sequancer..... or is garage band shiit?

Garageband is pretty medicore IMO, it's ok, but I still recommend a PC, since then you can use all of the wonderful free VST plugins out there, plus it's cheaper. Actually, don't even look at Macs unless you are prepared to drop a lot of money.

EDIT: Building a PC is actually really easy, as most of the components basically just pop together, just look up some instructions online along with reccomendations of what to get in terms of power supplies and fans and whatnot.

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Nov 28, 2009,
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
Garageband is pretty medicore IMO, it's ok, but I still recommend a PC, since then you can use all of the wonderful free VST plugins out there, plus it's cheaper. Actually, don't even look at Macs unless you are prepared to drop a lot of money.

EDIT: Building a PC is actually really easy, as most of the components basically just pop together, just look up some instructions online along with reccomendations of what to get in terms of power supplies and fans and whatnot.

hey man i was just checkin' the bay, and up popped This will it be any good the company classes it as a Music PC, but its soo cheap is it worth gettin it? the specs ny good?
Quote by rgrockr
Asus makes decent stuff and that certainly has good enough specs for pretty much anything you would be doing in a home studio environment, you might want to upgrade the RAM at some point and get a bigger HDD, but for starting out it looks great, and those upgrades are both fairly cheap.

Last.fm
thanks Mr Thorazine - now to get the mom to allow me to use her PayPal account ....
Quote by rgrockr
I'd put at least 4gb of RAM in it, but apart from that it's not that good. The hard disc in it is tiny for what you'd be using it for. You want at least 500gb to a terabyte.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

Quote by druggietoad2k5
I'd put at least 4gb of RAM in it, but apart from that it's not that good. The hard disc in it is tiny for what you'd be using it for. You want at least 500gb to a terabyte.

That stuff is cheap and easy to upgrade though, like I said, they even offer those options when buying it. The main thing you really want to look at when first buying something is CPU and cooling system, and this computer is certainly above adequte in that regard.

Also I've used computers for recording that only had 40 GB hard drives, as long as you have a DVD burner to archive stuff you don't really need a huge HD, unless of course you plan on having lots of huge sample libraries.

Last.fm
ill email the guy see how much everything will cost for all the available upgradable components (which he said hell do) to be upgraded,

on that page it says that the OS is not included - should i purchase W7 or get XP? you can basically run XP with W7 tho so i dunno.
Quote by rgrockr
Last edited by kakos at Nov 29, 2009,
I would go with 7 at this point, unless you have some hardware that doesn't have functional W7 drivers yet.

Last.fm
reaper, vst amps, cheap interface, done.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
ive basically come to the point as where ive realized i can not do this on the cheap.

at collage their studio is set up for Protools,and as a result teaching us to use Protools. i figured it would be better off sticking to using that sequencer

ive read somewhere that you can only use Digidesign or M-audio interfaces with the software, is this true?
Quote by rgrockr
Quote by kakos
ive basically come to the point as where ive realized i can not do this on the cheap.

at collage their studio is set up for Protools,and as a result teaching us to use Protools. i figured it would be better off sticking to using that sequencer

ive read somewhere that you can only use Digidesign or M-audio interfaces with the software, is this true?

You're right. Doing this isnt cheap. Therefore, its not worth investing a TON of money into it until you are profitable with it.

Which is where the cheapest possible situation comes in.

The cheapest way you can get pro tools and 8 inputs is via the M-AUdio Profire 2626 @ $600+, and then you still have to buy Pro Tools on top of that as well. There's a grand right there.

Computer will run you a grand as well.

Drop a grand on mics and cables and stuff

Drop $300 on a good set of monitors.

There you go.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
Asus makes decent stuff and that certainly has good enough specs for pretty much anything you would be doing in a home studio environment, you might want to upgrade the RAM at some point and get a bigger HDD, but for starting out it looks great, and those upgrades are both fairly cheap.

I would get an Asus, there just as good if not better than Mac. And their half the price. I have the Asus G71 laptop and it runs 6 GB of ram stock, so it can handle anything I throw at it. Who really care about weather its Mac or PC, as long as it does what you want it to do without F'ing up.

Anyway, get a toneport, get a SM57, mic up your amp, record into Reaper, and you have a winner for cheap. Its not professional, but it beats having to pay over 3 grand for a set up.
Quote by Brendan.Clace
You're right. Doing this isnt cheap. Therefore, its not worth investing a TON of money into it until you are profitable with it.

Which is where the cheapest possible situation comes in.

The cheapest way you can get pro tools and 8 inputs is via the M-AUdio Profire 2626 @ $600+, and then you still have to buy Pro Tools on top of that as well. There's a grand right there.

Computer will run you a grand as well.

Drop a grand on mics and cables and stuff

Drop $300 on a good set of monitors.

There you go.

don't forget acoustic treatment. oh yeah, instruments would be nice too
Well, unless you have a shit computer, you can get up and running for about $220

Fast track 2 which includes Pro Tools M-Powered Essentials
AT2020 for a mic

You don't need a dedicated computer for recording. Sure, it helps but if you don't have to spend the money, why do it? I also do a lot of high end gaming on my PC so my specs are beyond what people suggest for a recording PC.

Also, don't buy into the Mac hype. Sure, they are more stable than PC but for about 4 times the price. If you ask me, there is a lot of gear you can get for the $1000+ you'll pay between the 2.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Assuming you already have a computer and its a PC

Line 6 TonePort UX2 - Under $200
Acoustica Mixcraft Recording program - $64
Acoustica Beatcraft(If you want a good drum sequence program) $30
Choice of monitors is up to you, otherwise a decent said of headphones will work find for the time being.

/Thread.
Quote by kakos

thats right im looking for a as cheap as can be recording setup but dont know what im actually looking at is anything good including:

You sure you need a PC when the title of your thread is ...

"looking for cheap as can be recording setup" ?
ok ive edited the first post .....

ive got ~£1000GBP (can go over slightly if needed) for this, and wondering what you guys would do with that budget?

also what i put under what im currently using for a PC would those specs work or should i get a new PC?

and would that gear (in brackets in first post) be good options ?
Quote by rgrockr