Do good ones exist

i was wondering because im about to buy some 100 watt heads and i was wondering if i could run 'em through a lil 1x12 when i jam at my buddies house...just because its conveniant

I thought about getting a combo but i dont play with him enough to base my purchases on our jammin...id just prefer to be playing through a good head instead of a Roland Cube 60 which is also frickin heavy and a bitch to lug around
Why do you need 100 watt heads. Unless they're SS you shouldn't need them for the sake of them.
Eminence makes a lot of 100 watt + speakers.

Quote by GURREN LAGANN
Why do you need 100 watt heads. Unless they're SS you shouldn't need them for the sake of them.
A lot of metal players want headroom in their amps because generally most metal players don't want the soft clipping you get from tubes.

More headroom= more headroom to crank your amp before soft clipping.
Last edited by DIMEBAGLIVEDON at Nov 28, 2009,
Quote by GURREN LAGANN

because i play alot live

the same reason everyone else buys 100 watt tube heads
But 100 Watts are overkill. The main reason they make so many 100W tube heads is because of the days before good PAs were common, you needed to fill a **** off huge gig.

But people use AC30s live just fine. 30 Watts tube is fine, and it's easy to find a speaker that can take that. You only need 100+ for Solid State, and of course then it's harder to find a speaker.

You don't need a 100W head for the sake of it. Get something like a Rebel 30 for a head or an AC30 for a combo and it'd do you fine.
Celestion GK100 are good.
EV makes 100 watt speakers too that are great.
You could also probably get by with a Mesa MC-90, which are great speakers too
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by GURREN LAGANN
But 100 Watts are overkill. The main reason they make so many 100W tube heads is because of the days before good PAs were common, you needed to fill a **** off huge gig.

But people use AC30s live just fine. 30 Watts tube is fine, and it's easy to find a speaker that can take that. You only need 100+ for Solid State, and of course then it's harder to find a speaker.

You don't need a 100W head for the sake of it. Get something like a Rebel 30 for a head or an AC30 for a combo and it'd do you fine.

okay heres you random internet person telling me what I need...I NEED 100 F.UCKIN WATTS OF HEADROOM. I DONT WANT CLIPPING

to everyone else who kindly answered my questions thank you very much

i think ill go the Emi
Quote by GURREN LAGANN

You can't play metal with an AC30 or a Rebel 30.

In his case, yes, he does need 100w for the sake of it.

And 100w is not much louder than 30w.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by mespinos
Eminence Legacy speakers are 120W. Pretty awesome

This, prolly a good idea.

I think it would be better to go with 2 Vetren 30 65 watt speaker because it will just sound better cranked, and you'll appriciate it in the long run.

To the people trying to convince him that 100 watt heads are unessicary, just shut up, if he wants a 100 watt tube head then more power to him, non of your business convincing him otherwise.
Quote by GURREN LAGANN

Do you even read anything that anyone else posts? The reason there are 100, 150 and even 200 watt tube amps is because people want to play at high volumes without poweramp saturation. Clean headroom is what most metal players want, hence they need high wattage amps.
Why would TS buy an AC30 or Rebel 30 to play metal? Certainly not just because you cant understand the concept of people having different gear requirements to suit what they play.

To TS, there are a few 100 watt speakers. Celestion makes the G12T Hot 100, G12K-100, and other manufacturers have 100+ watt speakers too.
Quote by ethan_hanus
This, prolly a good idea.

I think it would be better to go with 2 Vetren 30 65 watt speaker because it will just sound better cranked, and you'll appriciate it in the long run.

To the people trying to convince him that 100 watt heads are unessicary, just shut up, if he wants a 100 watt tube head then more power to him, non of your business convincing him otherwise.

yeah its just ive got an old 1x12 lying around and i just wanna see if i can use it with my big heads when i go to my mates to jam....for that id need 100 watt speaker

BTW my 4x12 is a Johnson USA (Celestion Vint 30's)
Last edited by TheBackHouse at Nov 29, 2009,
Quote by TheBackHouse
yeah its just ive got an old 1x12 lying around and i just wanna see if i can use it with my big heads when i go to my mates to jam....for that id need 100 watt speaker

BTW my 4x12 is a Johnson USA (Celestion Vint 30's)

Good point, I say go for it, might be a bit expensive for a 100+ watt speaker, but its worth a try.

Nice 4x12 cab.
Quote by GURREN LAGANN

But he already has an amplifier, and besides, it takes 10x wattage to produce 2x volume; realistically his head is not that much louder then an AC30 (which can't do modern metal).
I take it you play metal? Go for an EV EVM-12L Classic. Massive low end and a nice midrange that can sing or snarl depending on your amp. Only thing is it's $230.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
If you're used to playing through a 4x12 (or even 2) then going to a 1x12 will be a massive shock to the system, don't go expecting a tone similar to your normal rig...

Before recommendations what are the heads in quesion?
For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
Also dont forget that a 100w tube head actually puts out more than 100w... so you might blow the speaker even if it is a 100w speaker.
Quote by duggan_nugget
Also dont forget that a 100w tube head actually puts out more than 100w... so you might blow the speaker even if it is a 100w speaker.

Bullshit.
Ratings are there for a reason; speakers are usually rated by continuous power rather than peak, and it's a similar deal with amps.

And even so, I challenge you to find any gigging musician who runs a 100W amp at full blast on a regular basis. Even in a massive venue, with an easygoing soundman, and some huge Bonamassa-esque Plexiglass shields, you'll never be cranked hard enough to blow a speaker. It's unfeasible
I run a 60w power amp basically at full blast, i imagine there are people out there who do so with 100 watters.
And it doesnt have to be at full blast, as you go past the point of power tube distortion it puts out more watts than its rating. So it would put out 100w clean, and more than that if you push the power tubes.