Page 1 of 2
Tell me what you think of the Les Paul 100. Tell me any suggestions to make it better or anything i should get for it. I think it is an awesome guitar!!!!!!!
Keep Rockin'
Hunter Tyler
imo, it's just above a toy and should have been discontinued a long time ago.

you have a budget?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
They suck.
Gear:
-2008 Gibson Les Paul Studio Cherry Sunburst w/ Alnico Pro II
-Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-Blackstar HT-1 mini stack
Quote by jj1565
imo, it's just above a toy and should have been discontinued a long time ago.

I agree. I had one and it wasn't pleasant to play. It didn't feel or sound good. Go up a little more in the LP line if you can.
the LP 100 was my first electric and i gotta say imo its damn good for a starter guitar. but i definatly have outgrown it
GEAR

1976 Gibson SG
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Takamine GS330S Acoustic
Crate 65 watt
Crybaby classic wah
I suggest you'd go with a Squier Vibe series or Affinity. The Vibe tele's are better then the LP 100 and the Strats arent that bad. But they're still a beginner guitar and good for the money.
Gear:
-2008 Gibson Les Paul Studio Cherry Sunburst w/ Alnico Pro II
-Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
-Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
-Blackstar HT-1 mini stack
Quote by rocnroll4evr93
the LP 100 was my first electric and i gotta say imo its damn good for a starter guitar. but i definatly have outgrown it

it's not damn good for a $300 "starter" guitar.

for $300 you can get a used epi of a much higher model,
you can get a schecter, used Mex fender or agile.

to me, those are all intermediate guitars at the same price as that bolt on epi starter.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by jj1565
it's not damn good for a $300 "starter" guitar.

for $300 you can get a used epi of a much higher model,
you can get a schecter, used Mex fender or agile.

to me, those are all intermediate guitars at the same price as that bolt on epi starter.

If you payed 300 for an LP 100, then you are stupid... I paid 100 for one as my first Electric guitar, and it was very good. However, I agree with saving up your money and looking for a better Les Paul. Go into your local guitar store and start looking around.
Quote by The3818919
If you payed 300 for an LP 100, then you are stupid... I paid 100 for one as my first Electric guitar, and it was very good. However, I agree with saving up your money and looking for a better Les Paul. Go into your local guitar store and start looking around.

hope you're not tell me i'm stupid. i'm just quoting what they cost new.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
hope you're not tell me i'm stupid. i'm just quoting what they cost new.

Only if you actually payed 300 for one, then you are stupid.
actually the specials are worse. I just hate Epiphone in general. Except for the G-400. But Yeah I'd say get a squier strat. They have awesome necks (or at least the one I had did) and pretty damn good pickups.
Quote by Meths
I respect and value your opinion.

Just kidding. You're a fucking retard.

Quote by Pr0gNut
You want to strap a bunch of used mattresses to the walls?

Why not just roll around naked in medical waste while you're at it?

Quote by the_perdestrian
medical waste isn't free on craigslist
It pretty much sucks. Buy an Agile instead, I guarantee you'll be much happier unless you like to see the words 'Les Paul' on it.
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.
get an agile al-2000 or dauntless. i just got a dauntless and it's awesome.
The LP 100 is a pretty subpar guitar for the price. First thing you will need to do is buy tuners if you want it to stay in tune at all. Everyone Ive seen has really poor fretwork. Dont expect to pull a new one out of the box and it play good.

I have one but certainly didnt pay full price for it. Only thing really left of the original guitar is the neck and body. It does have a thinner neck than my LP standard. And the guitar is lighter than a regular LP.
ok dude dont get a strat. buy some gibson pickup covers for lik 30 bucks then putthem on and it will sound better.
and assholes out there my lp 100 sounded amazing better than the custom.
f***strats
les paul ftw
Quote by jose1216
ok dude dont get a strat. buy some gibson pickup covers for lik 30 bucks then putthem on and it will sound better.
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

... Shit, you're not joking.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by jose1216
cuz its ****in true you douchebag..

LOL troll fail, half of the EG users are smart enough to know you're just a troll. The other half own spider III's.

And to stay on topic everything that needs to be said has already been said, avoid it.
Quote by jose1216
and assholes out there my lp 100 sounded amazing better than the custom.
f***strats
les paul ftw

just because you have one, doesn't mean it's the best thing anyone can get.

my experience with epiphone stock pickups is that putting covers on them makes them sound 10x worse and if anything you should remove the covers, if your guitar has them.

and a fender standard strat or a squier classic vibe/deluxe/vintage modified series strat would serve anyone so much better even if they prefer les pauls, imo - and this is coming from someone who likes les pauls better

on top of that, you might like les pauls and really really hate strats but that doesn't mean that les pauls are truly awesome and that strats truly suck - you're not important enough for your opinion to mean anything to anyone else - nobody is.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
the correct answer is no.

go one up, the studio. they are just as good as standard but don't look quite as nice (still look good though)

\m/
Quote by mnf50
the correct answer is no.

go one up, the studio. they are just as good as standard but don't look quite as nice (still look good though)

\m/

this, if you really want a les paul that doesn't cost so much.

essentially the epi les paul studio is a better version of the les paul 100. they are pretty similar spec, but the studio has a set neck and a proper mahogany body, and will be much better quality - i'd say they are on par the standard/custom line.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by The3818919
Only if you actually payed 300 for one, then you are stupid.

you should word your posts better. then you won't come across as such an ass.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Seriously, get an agile al2000, or hell spend 389 and shipping and get a 3000, far better than the standard epis for cheaper.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Quote by JoePerry4life
far better than the standard epis for cheaper.
Cheaper? Most certainly. Far better? Not really, at least not consistently. They're made in the same factory Epi used to be made in (before Epi got their own dedicated factory) and part of why Epis cost more is because they come with top-shelf hardware that puts even most production Gibsons to shame.

That said, LP-100s are utterly shite.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
Cheaper? Most certainly. Far better? Not really, at least not consistently. They're made in the same factory Epi used to be made in (before Epi got their own dedicated factory) and part of why Epis cost more is because they come with top-shelf hardware that puts even most production Gibsons to shame.

That said, LP-100s are utterly shite.

Have you been to said factory or are you just saying what you have heard or think?

grover tuners aren't top of the line...?
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
I don't speak on anything but personal experience, or, at a push, the experience of close friends.

As far as the tuners go, many of the Agile models appear to have licensed Grover tuners, while Epis have actual Grover tuners.

Beyond that, the status of the various factories is wildly known and well documented (especially in respect to Epiphone's move to their dedicated plant in China).
Quote by MrFlibble
I don't speak on anything but personal experience, or, at a push, the experience of close friends.

As far as the tuners go, many of the Agile models appear to have licensed Grover tuners, while Epis have actual Grover tuners.

Beyond that, the status of the various factories is wildly known and well documented (especially in respect to Epiphone's move to their dedicated plant in China).

a country is a big place.

i also go to an RC airplane forum, ALL of our batteries are made overseas. Poeple constantly say "these batteries come from the same place but have a different label and are half the price"

With little or no proof.

Regardless, i think you'll agree with me here, An Agile AL-2000 Or 3000 will be a higher qaulity instrument than it's Epi counterpart in the same price range ($200 for the 2000, and $390 for the 3000)

I fell in love with my 3000 the moment i opened the case, sadly at chrismas i have to part with it and give it to my dad. It's like i'm giving him permission to do an Ex-gf or something...
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Well yes, at the same price point the Agile will be (usually) better than whatever given Epi. That's the nature of any cheaper brand - that's not exclusive to Epi or Agile, it's the same with Squier, LTD, Vintage, Rally, Yamaha, Tokai, whatever else. Invariably whatever ''proper'' version you look at, you'll either get the same thing for less or more for the same from a copy brand. It's not a case of 'Agile are amazing, Epi are shit' which is what most people here blindly argue - it's more just a case of knowing what your money is going towards and what is most worthwhile to you. In the case of Epi vs Agile specifically, the basic build qualitys is neigh-on the same (bar random exceptions; of course every brand produces the occasional gem and dud) but with Epi you pay a little more for Grovers, LockTone bridges, pickups which are a direct copy of the Gibson counterparts, the ''real'' body shape and of course higher resale value. You simply have to decide whether those base advantages justify the extra cost for you. By no means will the equivalent Agile be any better - and in fact it is very easy to argue that it will be worse - but then, that's why it's cheaper. Or you can get the next model higher in the Agile line and have something better for the same money.

At this point I realise I'm going in circles and repeating msyelf here as I'm knackered and barely know what the chuff any more. tl;dr: point is, saying "**** Epi, buy this cheaper Agile, they're always much better" is stupid because the two are completely balanced.

edit: but really go just do some basic Googling and you can find all the information you need about the various plants that make these guitars. There are two plants in Korea that make guitars for Agile, Vintage, Tokai, Rally and LTD and used to make some of the Epi models too - a couple of years back Gibson bought out a plant in China which is where all Epiphones are made now instead, though the other brands all remain as they were. In short you could pick up Vintage, Rally and Agile SG copies and other than the random chances of one being a dud or a lucky gem, the three are going to be for all intents and purposes the same as they'll have been made within the same 200 feet of each other using mostly the same materials by mostly the same people in mostly the same way. Hell, Rally even use the same LP body dimensions and routing as Vintage, exactly.
Last edited by MrFlibble at Nov 29, 2009,
Nicely said.

An agile 3000 will have a better nut, and cosmetic issues like binding on the headstock and triple binding if thats your thing. They are cheaper, here in canada where I live especially. I couldn't justify spending 800 bucks for standard plus at my local store, When I can buy a 2000 with a nice finish for like 275 shipped.

Some say the Quality control for the agiles aren't very good. However their customer service is the best kind around, so if you don't like your guitar, replace it or get your money back.

To some people, they would rather an epi because it has highe resale value, has the exact shape and they get to try it first.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
I say its a good one. Just steer clear of the Epiphone "Special II" series. Total crap.
Unless you have no choice but to buy online, I'd say the opportunity to go to any two guitar centers on the planet and hand pick your favorite out of of 20-odd Epis makes it a better choice than taking whatever single guitar comes in the mail from Agile. You might get a great Agile, but you also might not, and then you're screwed.

With an Epi, (again, assuming you're buying in-store and have played a bunch) you know what you're going home with, and if you don't like any of them, you've still got all your money. I just don't think the minimal (at best, imaginary at worst IMO) quality difference between the two makes blindly ordering an Agile a good idea in most circumstances.
Quote by Roc8995
Unless you have no choice but to buy online, I'd say the opportunity to go to any two guitar centers on the planet and hand pick your favorite out of of 20-odd Epis makes it a better choice than taking whatever single guitar comes in the mail from Agile. You might get a great Agile, but you also might not, and then you're screwed.

With an Epi, (again, assuming you're buying in-store and have played a bunch) you know what you're going home with, and if you don't like any of them, you've still got all your money. I just don't think the minimal (at best, imaginary at worst IMO) quality difference between the two makes blindly ordering an Agile a good idea in most circumstances.

sorrry no your not. you can litterally send it back for a new one. Same thing a GC would do for you.

The only items on the agile that aren't name brand would be the bridge. After playing both, i know atleast MY agile out plays the couple epi versions in the same price bracket.

that's just the way it is

Mr fibble, i think you misunderstood me.My arguement is a "good" $200 agile(grovers will out play the "good" $200 Les paul special, and a "good" $400 agile will outplay a "good" $400 epi.

of course that is my opinion after playing a few agiles (owning one) and playing many....many epi's.

Tieing back to my first point/post (and the topic at hand). I would take an Agile 2000 over the LP100. that is my opinion.
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
I'm sure you can send it back, but are you really going to pay postage there and back four or five times to find one you like? That's just kind of silly. What if it turns out the second one was a little better than the third? What happens if it turns out you just don't like the model at all?

It just doesn't make sense to mail-order a guitar to me unless you can re-sell it at a minimal loss (not the case with a new agile). Actually, with guitars this common it doesn't usually make sense to buy new at all, but if you have to, at least with the epi in a guitar shop you know exactly what you're getting the first time around and you know you're leaving with the best guitar out of a whole bunch. With agile, postage for any more than 3 exchanges is worth more than the guitar itself, and you can't even play those guitars next to each other.

I understand that you want to defend agile, but the claim that being able to send it back is like being able to hand pick a guitar out of a wall full at a store is either completely disingenuous or completely delusional.
Quote by Roc8995
I'm sure you can send it back, but are you really going to pay postage there and back four or five times to find one you like? That's just kind of silly. What if it turns out the second one was a little better than the third? What happens if it turns out you just don't like the model at all?

It just doesn't make sense to mail-order a guitar to me unless you can re-sell it at a minimal loss (not the case with a new agile). Actually, with guitars this common it doesn't usually make sense to buy new at all, but if you have to, at least with the epi in a guitar shop you know exactly what you're getting the first time around and you know you're leaving with the best guitar out of a whole bunch. With agile, postage for any more than 3 exchanges is worth more than the guitar itself, and you can't even play those guitars next to each other.

I understand that you want to defend agile, but the claim that being able to send it back is like being able to hand pick a guitar out of a wall full at a store is either completely disingenuous or completely delusional.

it seems your under the assumption that most of the are bad. quite the opposite, most of them are good, there are lemons in every brand but if you get a lemon agile you are not screwed.

All i'm saying is they are an incredible value and many poeple who slam them often has misconceptions based on price. BTW, if you just don't like it, send it back for a refund

The fact that they are being even being compared to the epi/gibby guitars should say enough about the brand. If they sucked a$$, no one would be making that comparison.
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Quote by Roc8995

I do believe they pay for the postage when returning, but I'm not 100% on that.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
^Fair enough. I doubt they'd let you exchange more than once or twice if that's the case.

I'd like to point out that nowhere have I claimed that Agiles are bad instruments. I just pointed out that I think it's very foolish to buy a new guitar without playing it first, and that you can't really do that properly with an Agile. I'm sure their QC is fine, and the few I've played have been decent instruments, but given a wall of epiphones and a few hours, I could find one I liked better. That doesn't make Epi a better brand, it just makes it easier to get your hands on an Epi you really like.
I'll tell TS this, keep your mind open.

Walk into Guitar Center and look at ALL of the Les Paul shaped guitars in the store within your price range. Play all of them, in the same amp with the same settings, messing with the knobs and pickup toggle in the same way.

I'm sure a Les Paul 100 is a great guitar, but how can it compare to a EC-100? You never know.
Page 1 of 2