Well I don't have that much money towards an amp, but want to buy a decent one soon and have been considering an epiphone valve junior or a Legacy Valve ED5, which is essentially the same amp rebranded, with different valves, or a bugera V5.

I play mainstream rock, alt rock, classic rock, blues and some punk or metal when the mood strikes me. after listening to demos of the valve junior, i believe it, or the v5 would fit my needs well, tone-wise. The 5W would be too much for bedroom practice if i cranked it, i hear, but i would stick an OD before it then, or with the bugera, use the attenuator.

So my question is this: If i played a 5w valve amp through a 4x12, would it be enough for smallish gigs?
nope,get at least 15w
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
I think the V5 bugera is a great little amp. Also though it is loud I have a feeling it wouldn't overpower a drummer. A 4x12 wouldn't make it any louder just more headroom and more air to push. Ussaully when gigging a decent place such as a school or church or whatever would ussually have a PA system so you should be alright.
i also read that amp wattage is an logarithmic function; i.e. a 5w amp is actually half the volume of a 50w amp
^Yes correct.

However, wattage is not a measurement of volume, its power. Its also a measure of how much head room it has. 15w tube, won't be much louder than a 5w as you think it would. It will be louder though like 30% more, but won't have as much headroom as 50 watt tube amp.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
as i thought^
so would a 5w amp stay fairly clean at that level? i'd ideally get a 30w one but...
$$$
Quote by texzephyr
as i thought^
so would a 5w amp stay fairly clean at that level? i'd ideally get a 30w one but...
$$$

How much do you have to spend? A 5w amp is not really meant to stay clean; it's got low wattage so that it can get power tube saturation at lower volumes.

As to whether 5w drive a 412... I really don't know. Obviously your speakers would be in no danger of speaker distortion.
It'll be alright if you're not playing with a drummer, otherwise you'll have to mic it throught he PA.

You can use it to play live though there is a sound engineer round Leeds that uses one live - though I'm not sure what kind of band he's in, Jazz I think.
,___,
[O.¬] - WTF?
/)__)
-"--"-
Your not gonna get a loud clean tone out of 5 watts.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Quote by JoePerry4life
Your not gonna get a loud clean tone out of 5 watts.

+1

My night train will stay clean un-mic'd at practice...but 5 watts will break up at those volumes...unless you're mic'ing it.