I never really learned the difference in the material used in the body of the guitar. I am not new to guitar, no one has taught me about the different woods to use in bodies. Whats the difference? What do you prefer? Thanks
Well I have this really cheap guitar that's made out of plywood, and I have a guitar that's made out of alder. You can really tell the difference, the plywood is kinda tinny sounding.
My Gear:

Guitars:
Partscaster
Fender MIM Telecaster
Epiphone Les Paul Custom

Amps:
Blackheart Little Giant
Jet City JCA20H

Pedals:
BYOC Confidence Boost
BYOC Dist+
BYOC Shredder
GGG Tubescreamer
Zvex SHO
The Bass FAQ also has a very good section on woods and their different tonal characteristics. Haven't read the one in GB&C myself but I suppose I'll take a look.

edit: I like the one in GB&C better.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Nov 28, 2009,
From what I've gathered, harder woods give you a darker sound whereas softer woods give you a brighter sound. As for fretboards, maple is the soft and therefore bright, rosewood is medium, and ebony is hard and dark-sounding. As for body woods, I know ash is soft and bright, but that's about it. I think alder is medium. I feel like mahogany (I don't know if it's used on electrics at all but it is for acoustics) is hard and dark-sounding. Not too sure about that though.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by HappyGoth013

+1. a few years ago i was researching about putting a guitar together, and after reading through that warmoth link i felt like i had a much better understanding. just skip through and stop at the woods you hear about most often. like mahogany, ash, swamp ash, maple, alder, walnut, etc. some great information on there!
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip