Anybody out there happen to see one of these Lunchbox Amps ? I saw one of these in Guitar Center the other day, and I have to say, they look nice. I tried it out just very briefly, and did like what I heard, but I only had a short time to try it. The funny thing is that I do want one, but I don't need really need it.

My 10 year old daughter is learning, and so am I actually, so it would be strictly for home use. We already have a small Fender Champion 600 5 watt tube amp, and an Epiphone Valve Jr amp, and cab that we use. The Lunchbox is a SS amp that is listed at 200 watts?!?

Again, of course I don't need anything near that loud, but I love the portability and clean tone it can produce. ( we already have several pedals to connect).

Just wondering if anyone else has any experience with one of these...
Gear-
MIM Strat Standard
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra
Fender Champion 600 amp
Seagull Coastline S6 GT
i dont think its 200W,too good to be true
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
I didn't really like it. It's certainly portable, but how portable do you really need an amp to be?
It's listed at 200 watts, but it's not 200 watts loud. It's probably as loud as a regular 50W SS amp, partly because of the speaker. I imagine it might be louder with a proper cab.
Most likely, it's around 50W RMS, 200W peak. You'll only actually get that 50W RMS. I don't remember what the hell peak volume is actually used for, or how its' measured, but for a 6.5 inch speaker it's still loud as hell.

I don't get how they can advertise at 200W unless it was true, but that's just absurd.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
*Technical Warning

Amps use AC current which is called a sine wave. Sine waves look like any other wave.

The bottom have is negative voltage and the top half is positive voltage. Vpp or peak to peak voltage is measured from the top most point of positive to the lowest point of negative.

To get Vp or peak voltage you divide Vpp by 2. and to get RMS you multiply Vp by .707. The same rule goes for amps and power.

So if the amp is 200 Watts peak to peak (Wpp), then...

Wpp = 200W
Wp = 100W
Wrms = 70.7W

If the amp is 200 Watts peak (Wp), then...

Wpp = 400W
Wp = 200W
Wrms = 141.4W

I doubt its the second one so most likely its running at 70.7 Watts.
Quote by Roc8995
I didn't really like it. It's certainly portable, but how portable do you really need an amp to be?
It's listed at 200 watts, but it's not 200 watts loud. It's probably as loud as a regular 50W SS amp, partly because of the speaker. I imagine it might be louder with a proper cab.

No, it's definitely a lot louder than 50W. 200 Watts isn't the peak either, it's over 200. 200 Watts is a "sustained average" or something like that. The RMS rating is around 100 but it's artificially kept down by the control software so the speaker doesn't distort/wear down.

It's kind of complicated. To get those kind of volume levels from such a tiny amp it uses a lot of trickery.

But it's definitely ridiculously loud. Get one and the Lunchbox Cab to put under it and you'll bury a drummer.

The LB is great. I have an LB and an AC4TV. They have a similar tone but the LB has more of a Fender/Bassman vibe, and is obviously a lot brighter I think it holds up to the AC4TV fairly well tone wise but doesn't get near as high gain. The AC4TV is thicker, but the LB has more bite.

http://www.box.net/shared/c13xb09i0k
Last edited by GURREN LAGANN at Dec 2, 2009,