Sometime around May I ended up ordering an Ibanez RG1527 Royal Blue electric guitar (good luck finding it for less than $850). I quickly found out that this guitar is a pain in the ass to tune. You get it all ready to go, and then just a slight bend of the top string and it's all out of whack. I thought maybe the strings were the problem, but I was doubting that since they advertise that they come with D'addario strings instead of mystery strings. So I ended up getting the smallest size 7 string pack at Guitar Center which start at .10 on the bottom. When I put them on I found it was just as hard to tune, and the bridge would be ridiculously high if I went to standard tuning. I even tightened up the screws on the back all the way to get the springs to counteract the pull of the strings. I left the guitar in D standard tuning with A on the top for a while.

Recently I heard you can ad springs to the tremolo. So I went and got two springs, and that's when I noticed there's a metal bar holding the springs in place. There are 5 places for springs to hook to with the loops and five holes for the other end of the springs, but unfortunately, two of those holes are used to screw the bar in place. At first I figured that I'd just leave the bar off, but then I realized if I pulled the strings tighter, especially with the back tilted towards the floor, the springs might fall out. I then tried to rig the springs to be held in place without the holes, and I ended up breaking both of them.

The guitar actually works great and becomes very stable with five springs in place, but with three the thing takes hours to tune and won't stay in tune. All the tremolo springs I've seen so far are made exactly the same way, or they're completely incompatible. Now I'm not sure what to even do.
Learn how to work the tremolo you arsehole......this shows your lack of experience working with it.....

Learn how to fix, get it done, and stop complaining.....you ordered the floating trem in the frist place......

Ah, just go here man.....
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=614226

and check your default string gauges that were used on the guitar...its in the manual, could make things easier for you.....
"Well, yeah, sometimes I get a little too creative."
~Bruce Dickinson~

-------------------------
"Various equipments"
if it gets outta tune with a bending i think it's a problem with the tuners. my last guitar had that problem and i sold it and buy a new one, but generally the tuners can be opened and get them tight with a tool

edit:

to know if the problem is in the tuners when you bend a string there should be a little metallic sound coming from the tuners when you bend, that means that the string pulled the tuner so it gets out of tune.

sorry if my english is bad, hope you understand
Last edited by whysky at Nov 28, 2009,
It appears that your lack of experience with a floating trem is a large part of the problem. They take some finesse to get just right.

Hope everything turns out for the best
Quote by Techofthegods
It appears that your lack of experience with a floating trem is a large part of the problem. They take some finesse to get just right.

yep.

You have to tighten the claw - Ibanez 7's come with the thinnest string as a 9.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I found out the string gauges started with .9 and went up from there, but it didn't work worth a shit when the original strings were on there, that's why I changed the strings in the first place.

It's pretty shitty that Ibanez would make a guitar where you can't even use .10 strings in standard tuning without modifying it. If it was set up to have 5 springs in the first place it would work a whole lot better, and would make more options available to you from the start such as having .10 strings in standard tuning.
Quote by Adrian Smith
It's pretty shitty that Ibanez would make a guitar where you can't even use .10 strings in standard tuning without modifying it. If it was set up to have 5 springs in the first place it would work a whole lot better, and would make more options available to you from the start such as having .10 strings in standard tuning.

Any and every guitar with a floating tremolo needs to be adjusted with a string change - even of the same gauge. It's hardly Ibanez's fault.
Quote by Adrian Smith
I found out the string gauges started with .9 and went up from there, but it didn't work worth a shit when the original strings were on there, that's why I changed the strings in the first place.

Don't blame the company because you're inexperienced and frustrated with floating trems.You should have done some research about how they work,how to set them up,and the inherent mechanics of them before you bought one.They can be a pain,but once you know how to work with them they're pretty easy to adjust and what not.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by Techofthegods

I've had a Jackson with FR tremolo for years, and it works great. It has an amazing ability to stay in tune through thick and thin.

What would a lack of experience have to with not being able to keep it in tune when it was set up by Ibanez in America? They set it up, not me. I've adjusted everything that can possibly be adjusted, and I've even tried new strings. The only thing that solves the problem is 5 springs, but the guitar isn't meant to hold 5 springs unless you avoid pulling the strings tighter with the bar. You could just tilt the guitar towards the ground when you pull them tighter, so the springs don't fall out.
The instructions say you can add four or five springs but **** you if you want the holding bar to keep the springs in. All they had to do is refrain from using the spring hook holes as screw holes and everything would be perfect. Now I just wonder if the Edge Pro is to blame for this or Ibanez. Of course Ibanez could be blamed for choosing to use Edge Pro either way.
I"ll gladly have your ibanez ;D
Join the 7 String Legion!

RG7420 with Dimarzio Crunchlab + Liquifire set
Peavey Vypyr 75 with Sanpera I
Digidesign Eleven Rack
Sennheiser HD280 headphones
Behringer FCB1010 with EurekaProm

Call me Eddy
Dude as said before learn how to work the floating trem. There is nothing wrong with the guitar at all. It is working as it should and as any floating trem equipped guitar should. The 1527 is and excellent guitar and the edge pro is an excellent trem. You just have no clue what your doing.
ESP Stef B8 CS
.strandberg* Boden OS7
Suhr Modern Satin
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II
Washburn N7
PRS SE245
LTD Alexi-600
Warmoth Fr00tcaster
Ibanez RG1XXV
Fender Strat
Jackson Dinky Rev
Agile AL-2500

Peavey 5150
Yamaha THR10x
Last edited by yellowv at Nov 28, 2009,
Quote by Adrian Smith
I've had a Jackson with FR tremolo for years, and it works great. It has an amazing ability to stay in tune through thick and thin.

What would a lack of experience have to with not being able to keep it in tune when it was set up by Ibanez in America? They set it up, not me. I've adjusted everything that can possibly be adjusted, and I've even tried new strings. The only thing that solves the problem is 5 springs, but the guitar isn't meant to hold 5 springs unless you avoid pulling the strings tighter with the bar. You could just tilt the guitar towards the ground when you pull them tighter, so the springs don't fall out.

If you're having this problem, I don't believe for a second that you owned a Floyd equipped guitar prior to this - or at least changed strings on one.

It wasn't set up by Ibanez in America.
You haven't tried everything.
5 springs is not the only solution - plus, if it works, why are you moaning to us about it?!

Look up a decent guide on Ibanez's trems online. Jemsite and Ibanezrules have good ones to look up.
5 springs is a horrible solution. You don't need any more than the 3 stock springs. I run my 6 string edge pro equipped Ibby in B standard with a .13-.56 set and 3 springs.
ESP Stef B8 CS
.strandberg* Boden OS7
Suhr Modern Satin
Washburn N7
PRS SE245
LTD Alexi-600
Warmoth Fr00tcaster
Ibanez RG1XXV
Fender Strat
Jackson Dinky Rev
Agile AL-2500

Peavey 5150
Yamaha THR10x
You all say I lack experience, and I'm doing stuff wrong. None of you have even pointed out a single thing that I would be doing wrong. Perhaps I handled the springs incorrectly when I broke them, but what other options are there to adjust that would make a different for a floating bridge?
Last edited by Adrian Smith at Nov 28, 2009,
Dude when changing strings on a floyd equipped guitar the string tension and spring tension have to be perfectly balanced or the trem will be all out of whack. It is easy with a basic understanding of the trem which you obviously lack. There is no need for extra springs.
ESP Stef B8 CS
.strandberg* Boden OS7
Suhr Modern Satin
Washburn N7
PRS SE245
LTD Alexi-600
Warmoth Fr00tcaster
Ibanez RG1XXV
Fender Strat
Jackson Dinky Rev
Agile AL-2500

Peavey 5150
Yamaha THR10x
Quote by yellowv
5 springs is a horrible solution. You don't need any more than the 3 stock springs. I run my 6 string edge pro equipped Ibby in B standard with a .13-.56 set and 3 springs.

Springs

Apparently someone had the same idea I had. That looks just like the back of my guitar except it's black. The only difference is that the ends of my springs broke when I tried to turn them sideways.

If you've never worked with a 7 string floating bridge, I don't think it matters if you go to B standard with a 6 string. The seventh string adds more tension and possibly more instability to the system.
Quote by Adrian Smith
Springs

Apparently someone had the same idea I had. That looks just like the back of my guitar except it's black. The only difference is that the ends of my springs broke when I tried to turn them sideways.

If you've never worked with a 7 string floating bridge, I don't think it matters if you go to B standard with a 6 string. The seventh string adds more tension and possibly more instability to the system.

Read my sig. I have a 7 string Loomis which is a longer scale and has a floyd. I have no issues with it although it uses 4 springs. I have owned 7 string Ibbys since like 99. I think i know how to set one up.
ESP Stef B8 CS
.strandberg* Boden OS7
Suhr Modern Satin
Washburn N7
PRS SE245
LTD Alexi-600
Warmoth Fr00tcaster
Ibanez RG1XXV
Fender Strat
Jackson Dinky Rev
Agile AL-2500

Peavey 5150
Yamaha THR10x
I tend to ignore signatures. Thanks yellowv. You've been the only helpful person here. I will look into tremolo perfecting.

Anyway, someone said that Ibanez doesn't set up their guitars in America, but I've read that they do either in the instructions for my guitar or on their website. I distinctly remember it saying they do that so their guitars can be used right when they're received.
and yellowv owns the thread.

TS, you best listen.

I've heard that Schecters are set up in the shop in California. Yet every Schecter I've played off the wall has had major intonation problems.
Last edited by r0ckth3d34n at Nov 28, 2009,
Prestiges are made and set up in Japan. Except for the Indonesian ones of course. Go to youtube. There are vids on how to set up a floyd. They should explain better than what we can tell you in words.
ESP Stef B8 CS
.strandberg* Boden OS7
Suhr Modern Satin
Washburn N7
PRS SE245
LTD Alexi-600
Warmoth Fr00tcaster
Ibanez RG1XXV
Fender Strat
Jackson Dinky Rev
Agile AL-2500

Peavey 5150
Yamaha THR10x
So maybe I was wrong about America being the place. There's a card that came with it that says:

"At the distributor, trained technicians, each one an accomplished guitarist, complete the final set up and inspection to insure proper action and playability."

I guess they can't be trusted to do that.
I wish I had an RG1527 :[

My Rig ;D
Ibanez RG550XX 20th Anniversary
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Crate V50-112 (Modded)
Roland Micro Cube
Lovepedal Purple Plexi 800
Lovepedal Pickle Vibe
Ibanez TS-9
Boss DD-3
Dunlop Crybaby
Quote by Adrian Smith
So maybe I was wrong about America being the place. There's a card that came with it that says:

"At the distributor, trained technicians, each one an accomplished guitarist, complete the final set up and inspection to insure proper action and playability."

I guess they can't be trusted to do that.

I bet it was set up right.

Anyway, take out the springs you added, and get the springs and strings balanced (see the https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=614226">FR Setup Guide for details), by using the spring claw in the back and tuning.

Remember, Ibanez trems have an angled baseplate.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Update:

Since I have .10's on there and I want my guitar in standard B to the E 7-string tuning, I decided to add the extra springs to make that possible. My idea to bend the first loop of the spring up to make another circular hook worked out great. I have those loops going around the screws. I got the guitar tuned up and the bridge happened to be parallel with the body of the guitar with the springs where I had them. It has the stability I expect from a guitar. The tuning didn't go out whack even after playing with the bar.

I examined my Jackson, and I noticed the bridge isn't parallel with the body (it makes about 10-20 degree angle with it), but it still works great since I don't tend to use the tremolo on it.

I really think that 7-string guitars should have at least 4 springs on them to increase the potential of what they can be set up to do without having to add springs yourself. You can still put .09's on it with 4 springs. Just unscrew the springs a bit. Why would you not want 4 springs?

For the record outside of the tremolo difficulties which have been taken care of the guitar is great and made with the quality craftsmanship you'd expect if you're gonna pay over $800 for a guitar.
7's usually come with shorter springs in the trem (I know Ibanez do) so that there is more tension in just 3 springs, but you can also have it set up with the springs like /|\ to add more tension without adding springs. You can have it in standard with 3 springs, with 10's.
I suck at physics, so I figured /|\ would be less tension because some of the pull from the spring would be going horizontal instead of down (when viewing it like pictured in the text). Now I'm realizing the further extension of the spring probably makes the spring apply more tension than what is lost because of the angle.
fine if your guitar sucks give it to me
'into the night under a crimson sky on the the fetid wings of death we ride' Messiah Of Hate by Hell Wave
Sorry mate but I have trouble believing you know what you're doing. Take it to get set up make sure you specify a gauge for it to be set up with. Then string it with that gauge only, when it starts to drift again take it to get set up again. Now shut the **** up.
I am me. Live with it.
Well I owned a RG1527 for about a year, it was one of the best guitars I've ever played, and I can safely say without a shadow of a doubt it stays in tune perfectly for ages, the tremolo is brilliant, you can definately use 10s and heavier on it.

I dont know what you are doing wrong but it sure is something.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Yeah man. Just take it to a shop and your GD problem will be solved... JEBUS SON!
GEAR:
SCHECTER LOOMIS FR
LTD EC-1000
LTD DV-200
I think he's already solvwed the problem guys.

TS, for future reference, tremolos are a very precise intruments. The slightest change in the tension of the springs or strings will cause the guitar to go out of tune.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
This is why I find a lot of high end guitars with Floyds on Craig's list dirt cheap. People buy them have no luck with them because they just do not know how to set up or use the Floyd correctly. I got a Kerry King V dirt cheap the poor kid had it set up a couple times a month at a shop and he said it was getting expensive so I got the guitar for $75.00!! Several other high end DEANs, Ibanez, BC Rich and Jacksons I got for $100.00 ea because the owners couldn't keep their Floyds in tune. Learn to set it up correctly don't get discouraged. Remember once you have it tuned and you lock the strings used the fine tuners to retune. One kid didn't realize that's what they were for to fine tune. LOL I also say take it to a shop and see if the repair man can give you a quick lesson on how to use the Floyd. Also read the Floyd Set Up thread here. Once you learn to set up and use the Floyd it will rarely go out of tune. Truthfully even though I can set one up in my sleep they still are a pain compared to a hardtail.

John