Hey guys. Pretty simple question here...

What's the optimal height for my bridge pickup? Does the EMG mess with the strings when you position it too close to the strings like a passive pickup does? I don't feel like I'm getting that same ballsy, thick and razor sharp palm muting sound that I got with my previous guitar. It almost feels like a little bit less gain. I haven't changed settings on my amp or moved it since I got the new guitar and I'm finding myself adding a little bit of gain on the amp when it's already quite high.

I had the 81 taken out of my old guitar and put into my new one with an 85 in the neck. Which means I can't use my old guitar as a reference for pickup positioning on this new guitar.
New guitar is Ibanez S670PB.
battery could be low... there are magnets in the pcik up so the closer the pick up the more itll take away from your sustain and what not. mess with its hight. find what sounds right to you and maybe just maybe get a passive and not have to worry about dumb batteries. haha
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
EMGs have a weak magnet so string pull is very low, but because of the pre-amp it gets all that high out and thats why they are so silent. EMGs say that your should put it as close as to the strings without the strings actually touching or hindering it, but it ups to you just use your ears
Gear:
Jackson SL1 !
Jackson SLS3 w/ bk warpig
ibanez RGA 121 with D sonic and paf pro
peavey triple X with JJ 6L6s and celestion G12k-100
bad monkey
mxr 10 band eq
digitech hardwire dl8
paul gilbert's airplane flanger
With active pickups, as close as possible.

Check your battery.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
mine are about 2mm on both sides at the bridge pup and about 3mm both sides at the neck. the distance at the neck might need to be shortened but i like keeping that one slightly lower anyway. you can start with those numbers and make your own little minor adjustments.

if you want to use the guitar with EMGs for good clean stuff, i would recommend the 60a at the bridge. the mids are more pronounced, the highs arent as harsh, and i just plain like the clean sound of that better than the 81. i have one that i occasionally swap out with my 60a and for the last 2 months the 81 was at the bridge, and im pretty sure i wont be using it again.

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab