Anything.

Southern rock is a huge genre. What artists are you aiming to sound like?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
who particuarly are you trying to sound like? When I think Southern Rock I think Skynyrd, Blackfoot, Marshall Tucker, Outlaws, Allman Brothers, Black Oak Arkansas, etc.

Budget?
Willing to go used?

Current Gear

Gibson Flying V
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra
Jackson Professional Dinky
Fender Blues Deluxe
Vox Vt30

Mad Effects
any vintage fender/ ripoff of a vintage fender circut. any single channel tube amp thats between 15 and 50 watts really. its not to hard to get a twangy neutral guitar signal sound.
If you are looking for a good Skynyrd tone, here is a suggestion:

http://www.peavey.com/products/browse.cfm/action/detail/item/116910/Gary%20Rossington%20Sig.%20Penta%28TM%29.cfm

Much of the tone was based on Rossington's original Peavey Mace amplifier that he used since '72 or '73. A lot of Southern rock bands from the 1970s and early 1980s used Peavey amps because Skynyrd did. Marshalls and Fender Twins were also popular.

If you are looking for an Allman Brothers sound, a classic Marshall SLP is the way to go.
looking for a allman brothers tone. I know they used plexi's but im looking for something that you don't have to crank all the way.
Any kind of Fender amp other than the Frontman. Peavey Classic 30 or Valveking. Uh, PRS has some cool amps out that are good for that kind of music. And kind of Blues amp really, just boost the overdrive with something and you should be good.
Quote by unk0wn
Im looking for that sexy tone

Are you serious??? What can we deduct from that "sexy" tone??? I say Fender tube with an overdrive pedal.
Quote by unk0wn
Im looking for that sexy tone

E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
I'd say some kind of 18w clone.
Where do you live?
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
Quote by sg4ever
Are you serious??? What can we deduct from that "sexy" tone??? I say Fender tube with an overdrive pedal.

+1

Depending on your budget a nice Fender tube amp + a Rothwell Hellbender will give you awesome Plexi tones at bedroom volumes.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by forsaknazrael
Or Maylene & the Sons of Disaster?

Get specific.
More details = better advice that can be given.

Yeahh!!

Peavey Delta Blues + Rothwell Hellbender?
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

I need a amp that has the sweet seductive tones of Derek trucks and the heaviness of Warren Haynes with the country/Jerry Garcia Tones of Dicky Betts. I need british and american tones as well.
This thread is filled with teh lulz
I'd suggest a Fender Bassman.

Edit: Didn't read the cranking part (although idk how much you have to crank a bassman)
Sunn Model T
www.blackfootcustomamps.com

These guys kick major @$$. Tell them what sound you want,.. they make it. Buddy of mine bought one recently, it is absolutely the most amazing combo I have ever heard. He has the one they call the Stage Stomper. I haven't heard an amp that can be dialed in to so many sounds ever. Check them out. They aren't cheap though,.. that's bad thing. I think he paid about $3500 for his,...not sure.
Petrol Sherbert.
Jackson DXMG 2002
Jackson JS30RR 2006
Rockteck 30Watt Combo
Marshall MC212
Dunlop Crybaby-GCB95
Boss Metalcore ML2

Quote by Skagasm
just think......bc rich+nice ring=happy girl

no ring+gibson es-335= no bitch and an awesome guitar.
Quote by Tdude
www.blackfootcustomamps.com

These guys kick major @$$. Tell them what sound you want,.. they make it. Buddy of mine bought one recently, it is absolutely the most amazing combo I have ever heard. He has the one they call the Stage Stomper. I haven't heard an amp that can be dialed in to so many sounds ever. Check them out. They aren't cheap though,.. that's bad thing. I think he paid about $3500 for his,...not sure.

I know you're new, but please don't bump old threads. This thread had been in the grave for over a year.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
really depends on your gigs or whatnot and what size you need, but if your playing smaller stuff a cleaner smaller tube amp that you can turn up and get some natural tube grit on sounds good. thats exactly why people like blues juniors.

maybe a 2 channel or a really responsive 1 channel than can do cleans well with the volume rolled down or turned up to get some heavy warren haynes rock distortion (or switch the channel)

for 1200, you really have a lot of options. if you can for the one you like for 1200, check out Dr. Z amps. very nice...but expensive.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Or Maylene & the Sons of Disaster?

Get specific.
More details = better advice that can be given.

dude you are a douchebag that has nothing to do with what we are talking about damn southern rock does not headbang or the amp so dirty we cant hear the notes jesus christ
these are all great examples of amps used in that time period....remember Southern Rock isnt about the rest of the US we are selfish Cali's got beach music, Texas has the blues, southern states have southern rock....notes were never drowneded out by so much gain that we cant hear the notes we are playing!!!the lowest drop tuning is Drop-dFlat....no lower....get mad thats just the way it is
Quote by rickyslicky50
dude you are a douchebag that has nothing to do with what we are talking about damn southern rock does not headbang or the amp so dirty we cant hear the notes jesus christ

so, you bumped a >1 year old thread just so you could make fun of someone's use of an emoticon and give your insights on southern rock?