My band has no guitar players we have 2 Bass Players instead, because I like the idea of doing something different.

Anyone got any tonal Tips, so I can experiment,

I'm thinking Overdriven more so than distortion,

Thin out the Sound more so on one the Bass parts.
I would think having a rhythm and a lead would work pretty nicely. What kind of music are you planning on playing?
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
I like experimenting with this as well.
What are you tuning to and how many strings?

Quote by FatalGear41
Actually, it has already been done: Spinal Tap - Big Bottom (three basses!)

that's really simplistic though
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
two basses worth of musical input into a song is going to compact a lot of playing into a small portion of the frequency spectrum. the two bassists in such a band should tune their tone so that they are covering different frequency spectrums that compliment the two parts respectively and compliment the individual players stylistic input. like perhaps the groove guy playing very bassy with little high end but a lot of punch and the "bass lead" guy playing with a lot of lower mid growl and high end pop in a way that would compliment what youre trying to get across musically while spreading the harmonic frequency spectrum as much as possible.
Hmm, why don't you try emulating Cliff Burton's technique. One bass could be rhythmn clean and really articulate while the other has alot of overdrive, some crazy wah going on but not to tragically messy you know? You're call man.
Just E Standard and 4 strings but will have Low B in some recordings.

with No guitar I gotta be careful of going to low.
Last edited by jayoel at Nov 28, 2009,
Maybe you could do some harmony?
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Is one of the basses tuned an octave down?
Stuff:
ESP/LTD EC-200QM (with SD Distortions)
1986 Charvel Model 4
2013 Ibanez RG7421WH

Amps
Marshall MS-2 microamp (a POS)
B-52 LG-100a head (Not bad)

Pedals
Digitech Grunge distortion
I'd do it like this.

Instead of rhythm and lead guitars, have a bassist and a lead bassist. The bassist would be your standard bass sound, but lead bass would use something like a guitar distortion and an EQ pedal to give him less bass and more highs.
use different amps, types of amps, types of basses, and leave lots of room.use all parts of the fretboard.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by FatalGear41
Actually, it has already been done: Spinal Tap - Big Bottom (three basses!)

I'm not sure about a name for this, but Rufus Reid was in an upright bass sextet. There are also tuba choirs, but I'm getting ahead of myself.

TS, is the lead bass player might think about either tenor tuning, or maybe piccolo strings? If you want to get that close, at least.

Edit: I hope your singer is a tenor/alto/mezzo/soprano. But it would be cool in a bassophiliac way if he was a bass. Assuming that you have a singer, and that he's a he.
Last edited by Halakar at Nov 29, 2009,
markus grosskopf of helloween did something like this, with 3 bassists with lead, rhythm and of course, bass. i think 4, 5 and 6 stringers were used as well, so you'll have to be pretty versatile in your gear
Quote by Heilz
When backstage and talkin to the ladies i always go with the ¨Mines is bigger than theirs¨ argument as me bro holds hes guitar and i take out my bass... It works wonders @,@

Gear list:
Squire Affinity P-Bass
Ashdown Mag300 Evo II
Boss ODB-3