I'm looking to replace the old pickups in my MiM strat with hot gold lace sensor. I got the pickups yesterday, when me and my friend went to unsolder the wires the old solder wouldn't melt at all. Not sure if it was a bad soldering iron or what. I'm wondering if I should spend money to get a soldering kit, if so how strong of one, also what type of solder, or pay a tech to put them in for me. This is my first time doing this, I took electrical classes so I know how to follow diagrams fine, as well as solder. Also should I'm switching them to new pickgaurd, should I use the old volume/tone pots or get new ones?
if youre going to do it yourself get a good soldering iron. obviously the one you have isn't good or isn't heating up enough. the pots should be fine. if youre not feeling 100 percent confident id take it to a tech.
stay lit

Quote by PeteTLT
Will preamp tubes turn black and melt slightly undernormal conditions and still work?
If you're going to be using soldering kit quite often, then get one. If not then take your guitar to a qualified technician to do the job. There's no point in changing the pickguard if the pickups fit in it, and I assume they do. As for the pots, the old ones should be fine.
I'm changing the pickguard from white to black, otherwise I'd leave it. Also if I decide to take it to a take what should I be looking to pay? A good range, I know all places are diff.

And If I decide to do it myself, how much wattage on the soldering iron, anyone got a recommended kit they use themselves?
Last edited by jmeyer1022 at Nov 29, 2009,
I like to keep a soldering kit and some extra solder around incase one of my pots is acting funky or something, and it's easier than taking it to a tech every time your guitar ka-puts.

I think you should do it yourself, Fender pickguards are the easiest to modify. They're all mounted on the pickguard.
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
Depends on how old the pots are and what value they are. Also, just cut the wires off, dont worry aboutt desodering them, desodering is the proper way but not completly nessicary. I soddered a AXL EMG into a offbrand plexy glass V and just cut the wires from the old pickup near the sodder points and soddered the new pickup in and it worked just fine.
get a better soldering iron - a 40w iron is enough for just about anything guitarwise.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I decided to do it myself, turned out great except I'm unsure where to set the height on them, I've been doing it so if I push the last fret there's a little bit of room. Any suggestion/tips for this?
Quote by jmeyer1022
I decided to do it myself, turned out great except I'm unsure where to set the height on them, I've been doing it so if I push the last fret there's a little bit of room. Any suggestion/tips for this?

thats actually a pretty good system. it's how i determined the height on some of my pickups. beyond that you'll want to make sure they sound close to even. if the neck is twice as loud as the bridge pickup your whole guitar will sound a little out of whack. you can fix that by raising the bridge or lowering the neck.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip