So I'm starting a premeptive Christmas wishlist since I have nothing better to do and can't really afford the pedals I want right now (life of a college kid, haha). And while thinking about what all to put on it aside from delays, power supplies, patch cables, etc., I got to thinking about an EQ/Compressor pedal. Right now the only one I'm aware of that has good reviews is the Boss GE-7- is it a good choice? I see a lot of players on Youtube using them.

I'm also wondering if I should even be worrying about an EQ right now. Right now I have running an Ibanez RG2EX1 into a Boss OS-2 into a MG15CDR (don't worry, a VT30 was the first thing I put on my wishlist) for my main sound- should I ignore any tone/distortion issues I have till I (hopefully) get a VT30? Or should I consider a distortion pedal upgrade instead?

Thanks for any help here!
well if you're getting the vt30 you might not feel like your need the eq pedal, can you try the amp first and see if you still need the eq pedal ? if you do i recommend the mxr 10 band one
Gear:
Jackson SL1 !
Jackson SLS3 w/ bk warpig
ibanez RGA 121 with D sonic and paf pro
peavey triple X with JJ 6L6s and celestion G12k-100
bad monkey
mxr 10 band eq
digitech hardwire dl8
paul gilbert's airplane flanger
Not really, since I'm at college right now and the only guitar store I can get to is a locally owned shop and I'm not sure they have any VT30s out on display. Will definitely ask now, though, thanks for the tip.
If you got the VT30 for distortion, you might have made a mistkae. The Vox is more of a classic rock type amp and suffers with high gains sounds imo.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Really? Even with pedals for distortion? Because I don't really use the onboard effects of an amp too much, I go for dedicated pedals. But if I'd be making a mistake with the VT30, even with pedals, what amp should I be looking for capable of more "metal" distortions via pedals?
Well, imo Amp distortion >> pedal distortion

A peavey Vypyr is a modelling amp thats great for high gain sounds. Another thing is most modelling amps don't take pedals well.

If your looking to get your distortion from the cleans sounds, I'd try to get something with nice cleans like a used fender blues jr, and use distortion pedals to get the high gain sounds.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
I love my BYOC 10 band EQ
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
I've read that about modeling amps, which really bums me out. I don't want to be limited by the effects and the lack of options for them built-in to the amp if any pedals I try to use won't sound too hot with said modelling amp.

But I have heard that the VT30 actually takes pedals very well for a modelling amp.
The VT30 should be fine if you're going to be running pedals into the clean channel.

I'd suggest a Digitech HardWire and Blackstar HT line of pedals for distortion depending on your budget and how much gain you're looking for.

For EQ's the best value out there is probably the MXR 10-band.