I play an Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top, so mahogany body with a flame maple top, and I am looking for something that can really pull off what a burstbucker 3 can. I've played them and they're damn nice pickups, also very expensive. Currently I play alot of classic rock songs but sometimes I like to get angry and rock out something a little harder, sometimes venturing right into metal. The Epi pickups mud right up whenever I head past the rock tone and into something more high gain. The metal tone isn't essential to me but hey, if it's doable I'll take it. Suggestions?
What amp are you playing?
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
The Burstbucker series is (IMO) mediocre at best and very overpriced. If you don't want to spend a lot, e-mail Seymour Duncan with your requirements and they'll get back to you pretty fast.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by JoePerry4life
What amp are you playing?

Blackheart bh5 little giant. Also have a 30DFX MG, which is why i bought the BH lol.
If you don't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

My Green Frankenstrat Refinish

Hardest part of painting your guitar?
Convincing yourself that the over-sprayed areas and dust stuck in the finish add "character".
bump for wise advice

Convincing yourself that the over-sprayed areas and dust stuck in the finish add "character".
Quote by mmolteratx
The Burstbucker series is (IMO) mediocre at best and very overpriced. If you don't want to spend a lot, e-mail Seymour Duncan with your requirements and they'll get back to you pretty fast.

Good advice, although ditch the Seymour Duncan idea - they're almost as overpriced! Find a small independant pickup maker (CorduroyEW here is a good guy to start with), and send them your requirements. You should be able to get a pickup equal or superior to the Burstbucker, for a lower price.
If your in The USA, you can probably find cheaper in the states like wolftone, or WCR, don't know if they are cheaper but they are closer and less waiting time, but for about 150 bucks, cord can make you your very own custom wound pickups.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Wolfetones and WCRs certainly are not cheaper. Both of mine ran me ~$300 per set. They're more than Burstbuckers. Pickups like Rock Monkeys will also run in that $300 price range.

Quite frankly, I think Seymour Duncan Antiquities do the job better than anything else that is out on the mass market. They're around the same price as Burstbuckers though, however sound much better. I have an old Burstbucker from 2002 that I was fairly satsified with, but over the past several years Gibson has changed the wire they used and have started wax potting the pickups and they just don't really sound the same. That being said, I never thought the burstbuckers sounded that great anyway.

Imo, best value out there currently are Guitarforce pickups.
Last edited by al112987 at Nov 29, 2009,
I was thinking about the DiMarzio Super Distortion, but would that be too hot for the classic tone? I'd also like to coil tap sometime when I have the time

i mean a lot of classic rock artists used pickups like the super distortion or jb in the '70s and '80s. they're high output pickups and a completely different kind of pickup from what the burstbucker or any of the other mentioned pickups are, which are generally low output, PAF style pickups.

it depends on whether you're into the Clapton, Page, etc sound or that '80s hair metal tone.

if you plan on coil splitting, you might want to go with higher output pickups. but imo, coil splitting is not particularly useful and is not worth sacrificing the tone you want of the full humbucker to have a better split sound. a split humbucker does not sound like a strat single coil, it generally just sounds thin and lacking in power. in my experience, it has been a rather useless mod as it just doesn't sound all that great, but ymmv.
Definitely more into the page or Clapton sound, I just want something that won't get really muddy if I feel like pumping up my gain a little. I know pretty well any pickup will do a better job than my epi pups but obviously I want the best I can afford.

Check out Bare Knuckles, they make pups for everything.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
Quote by kyle62
Good advice, although ditch the Seymour Duncan idea - they're almost as overpriced! Find a small independant pickup maker (CorduroyEW here is a good guy to start with), and send them your requirements. You should be able to get a pickup equal or superior to the Burstbucker, for a lower price.

There is no way in hell that that something like Rock Monkey or any of the boutique pickup winders will be able to give you something cheaper than a Burstbucker.

Altho that said, the quality of the pickups will be far superior to the Burstbucker.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by pencil364
Definitely more into the page or Clapton sound, I just want something that won't get really muddy if I feel like pumping up my gain a little. I know pretty well any pickup will do a better job than my epi pups but obviously I want the best I can afford.
You haven't given us a real price range though.

But I'll suggest Guitarforce pickups for something that sound good and is affordable at the same time. You're really probably going to like a PAF style wind, low output, which will give you that clear, detailed singing high end. Look at the Lord of Blues. Ask the guy who winds them on the MyLesPaul forum about his special forum pricing. I believe they are $125 for a set. His username is KevinT. Really don't see the downside, handwound pickups for essentially the same price as a set of Duncan '59s.
Last edited by al112987 at Nov 29, 2009,