Kinda an offshoot of the "what will be the music in the 10's" thread, I've been wondering, what will the next generations have for musical influences? Of course, some names are immortal, especially to guitar playing circles, but I mean, if you think about it, some aren't.

Clapton, Page and others had influences that we hardly even think of today, and while different influences makes for moving forward in music, do you think it'll eventually come to a point where those guys become dinosaurs to a certain generation in the future, and even the contemporaries of today seem as "old" as say, Hendrix is to us now?
me
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by Doctor Matthews
Kurt Ballou.

this.
and cedric bixler-zavala.
Quote by AlmightyJeebus
Ok, thank god hostilekid's gonna shut the hell up.

Quote by dudius
You win...everything

Quote by IbanezSA160a
hahahaha

All the Whos are there
But the Why's
But the Why's
But the Why's
Are unclear..
Quote by JDizzle787
Kinda an offshoot of the "what will be the music in the 10's" thread, I've been wondering, what will the next generations have for musical influences? Of course, some names are immortal, especially to guitar playing circles, but I mean, if you think about it, some aren't.

Clapton, Page and others had influences that we hardly even think of today, and while different influences makes for moving forward in music, do you think it'll eventually come to a point where those guys become dinosaurs to a certain generation in the future, and even the contemporaries of today seem as "old" as say, Hendrix is to us now?

No because nobody is going to care about guitar enough in the future to revere clapton or page or any guitarist at the level we do with Hendrix, not to mention the fact that they aren't good
The guys from Muse. They're pretty famous. Actually, in my area nobody even knows who Muse is, even though they are one of the most mainstream. The only bands they know are on 97.1 and 92.5. Lil Wayne might, even though I personally can't stand him.
Avenged Sevenfold, Slipknot, etc. will (I like them by the way *smashes face on desk*) John Mayer will be as far as guitarists go.
Quote by MLilienthal
No because nobody is going to care about guitar enough in the future to revere clapton or page or any guitarist at the level we do with Hendrix, not to mention the fact that they aren't good

ok, you keep thinking that
Musical heroes are different for normal people and for actual musicians. Those guys you mention like hendrix, clapton and page are considered "guitar heroes" not only because they are good, but also because they had mainstream fame in their prime. they were,'t the best of the best there was at the time. The same with any "musical hero" of any era, like cobain or john lennon or mick jagger.

Musical heroes in the future for us, guitarists, will most likely be guys that were decent players but had at least some mainstream following, like Slash, kirk hammet, dimebag (cuz he was killed), yngwie, the ever changing guys from megadeth (but mostly friedman, and hopefully broderick too), and i think EVH's playing will still be relevant in some 20 years. Some guys that could be included if they become a bit more famous are Alexi Laiho, the guys from slipknot and trivium, and the shredding guy from avenged sevenfail. As people get into the music, they will find more guitarists just like we did, but this will be like the idols when you start getting into "guitar music", i think. Just like when the kids in the 70's heard hendrix and decided to pick up a guitar.

As for mainstream heroes, i dont think that any artist has actually left it's mark right now. The most popular icons are just products and they will soon fade and other products will come up. IMO, there is not a musician or band that has achieved a status high enough to be a musical icon for the next mainstream musical generation, like Elvis, John lennon, michael jackson, kurt cobain, etc.

EDIT: wow! u made a wall of text. i must be really sleepy.

tl;dr: it's not all about talent. to be a musical idol you must be both somewhat talented and have a mainstream following in order to be remembered. you dont have to be the best performer/composer/player, just kinda good and kinda famous, like clapton, hendrix, the beatles, nirvana. right now, there's no one who's on the top ten has enough talent, so i dont think there wont be a mainstream musical idol coming from this decade.
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Last edited by ldnovelo at Nov 29, 2009,
Quote by JDizzle787
ok, you keep thinking that

They're not comparable to hendrix by any means, and I'm not even a hendrix fan
Quote by MLilienthal
They're not comparable to hendrix by any means, and I'm not even a hendrix fan
lol you fail al life.

And i agree with the guy who said syn gates. You just need to be kinda good and kinda famous, and he has both. If his band kept on, he would be considered a guitar hero in the next 2 decades, i think. And the same goes for the guys in trivium, COB and slipknot, who are good at their things and have some mainstream following.
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Last edited by ldnovelo at Nov 29, 2009,
Quote by JDizzle787
Kinda an offshoot of the "what will be the music in the 10's" thread, I've been wondering, what will the next generations have for musical influences? Of course, some names are immortal , especially to guitar playing circles, but I mean, if you think about it, some aren't.

There's one for you.
I don't think people take music as seriously as before. People go to a concert these days and don't seem exited to go to it and it just seems like an everyday thing for them.

Or maybe the influential effect of music is slowly fading away in our fast world
[img]http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Lookatthis97787.jpg[/img]
Quote by sean_etc
I don't think people take music as seriously as before. People go to a concert these days and don't seem exited to go to it and it just seems like an everyday thing for them.

Or maybe the influential effect of music is slowly fading away in our fast world

I guess I can see this... but then again, maybe not. At the local record store/ one of the few all ages venues in my area, I sometimes go to just patronize the scene to keep the store open. However, there are good bands that come through, and being in one myself, I take home what I like and appreciate them in my influence.
I would say Buckethead, but he's never going to have the mainstream appeal required to be noticed enough to become a guitar 'hero' to people who aren't musicians, and sadly some who are...

It's a shame, though. 42 solo albums of excellence, still lots of unknown or little-known behind-the-scenes shit that's not getting released because of douches on youtube, and one of the best guitarists alive in terms of technique and creativity. Suppose some of that's subjective, if you want to argue shoot me a PM.
When you saw me sleeping
thought I was dreaming
of you...

I didn't tell you
That the only dream
Is Valium for me
Quote by Td_Nights
I would say Buckethead, but he's never going to have the mainstream appeal required to be noticed enough to become a guitar 'hero' to people who aren't musicians, and sadly some who are...

It's a shame, though. 42 solo albums of excellence, still lots of unknown or little-known behind-the-scenes shit that's not getting released because of douches on youtube, and one of the best guitarists alive in terms of technique and creativity. Suppose some of that's subjective, if you want to argue shoot me a PM.

+100000 to everything.
In time, I feel Buckethead will get the praise and recognition he deserves.
I think it really differs from person to person and what kind of genre and scene they are into, i mean, for me, i love guitar playing that has average production, heaps of shreddy high gain solos thrown in randomley but not random if you get me, like random spots in songs, and speed, then i like slower guitar playing that is melodic and takes a good amount of skill, that is just me, a lot of people are different and have different tastes so each to his own i say.
Metal has got some great guitarists, even with some of the younger bands.

As far as the other genres are concerned, I'm pretty sure Matt Bellamy and John Mayer will be considered "great guitarists." Even though I dislike both of them and their music. I've seen Muse live, and Matt Bellamy is actually a halfway decent guitarist when he doodles. It's the garbage that he writes that sucks.
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
Josh Homme.
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
Matt Bellamy

His band is already known to be very proficient on their instruments and his music is unique and as found favour in most. Even now their influence is apparent, not in the mainstream but in the way that 9/10 of newer alternative rock bands emerging site Muse and Bellamy as an influence.

Also Frusciante, he's older but even the older Chili Pepper songs are still relevant to younger players. He's very skilled at his instrument, is no stranger in the Top 40 charts and is usually the first thing that inspires younger guitarists to learn funk.

Theres also quite a few of the metal guitarists that have emerged like in Lamb of God, Trivium, Avenged Sevenfold and the like. A lot of the people here bash them but like it or not they are all pretty talented and have already influenced budding guitarists. It seems that quite a few people say that the popularity of these bands is just a phase that will not stand the test of time but i disagree with that, sure none of these bands will be the next Zeppelin but when you have an influence on people it doesn't just go away. Plus they've made metal more popular than ever before which is only a plus given the stigma around it.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...