Well, I played this show tonight, using other peoples equipment. Well, the guitarist of one of the bands let me use his guitar along with a wireless system he has for it. I ****ing loved it. I got to be able to go in with the crowd and play. I'm thinking about getting one, but I don't know what I should get. I'm willing to finance up to like $20/month, depending on the quality though.

For example:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Audio-Technica-ATW-251-Freeway-VHF-Guitar-Wireless-System-754416-i1371799.gc
Gear:
Epiphone Archtop Dot
Ibanez RG120
Peavey ValveKing 112
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss Distortion Ds-1
MXR Carbon Copy
Rocktron Banshee Talk box
I don't really know anything about wireless systems, but from what I've just happened to see on here, you get what you pay for with wireless.
Indeed, don't get a cheap nasty one, you'll find that you can move around less than you can with a decent cable.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Indeed, don't get a cheap nasty one, you'll find that you can move around less than you can with a decent cable.

+1
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
I have the x2 wireless and I love it. Sounds great and never had any cutting out issues or anything.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Tribute (Bare Knuckle Nailbombs)
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul (Seymour Duncan Pegasus and Sentinent)
-Ibanez S470 (Dimarzio D-sonic and Humbucker from Hell)
-PRS SE Custom (Guitarforce Black Diamond and Lord of the Blues)

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
EVH 5150III EL-34 50w
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Boss Super Chorus
Bogner Uberschall
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Electro-Harmonix Power Booster
Fender PT100 Pedal Tuner

Strings:
Ernie Ball Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom 10-52
my agk guitar bug is really good, and not that expensive :-)
Cursed to one day crash and burn because we fly so god damn high.
There's no reason to get a wireless system unless you're playing massive shows, because, you can always get a better cable that will protect your tone a lot more then getting a cheap ass wireless system.

Cheap wireless systems suck your tone worse then cheap pedals.

If your serious about it, invest in something proper.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/AudioTechnica-ATW701-700-Series-UHF-Guitar-Wireless-System?sku=275121

Slash uses this.
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Sennheiser-ew-572-G3-Pro-Inst-Wireless-Sys?sku=620157
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Quote by Weeping_Demon7
There's no reason to get a wireless system unless you're playing massive shows, because, you can always get a better cable that will protect your tone a lot more then getting a cheap ass wireless system.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/AudioTechnica-ATW701-700-Series-UHF-Guitar-Wireless-System?sku=275121

Slash uses this.
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Sennheiser-ew-572-G3-Pro-Inst-Wireless-Sys?sku=620157

Agreed - with the added concern that unless you're in a very popular band and filling medium-large venues, you'll look like an absolute dick.
I've seen far too many awful, 15 year old pop-punk guitarists running around a half-empty venue with their cheap wireless system, looking like complete idiots
Based on reviews i'd take a look into the Line 6 X2, theres 3 versions, foot pedal sized one good for like 100 feet, Another slightly larger one good for 200-250 feet i think, and a rackmount good for 300 feet. Most of the reviewers just rave about them. But definatly research it, because if you dont research it you'll get something worse than a simple 20' cable.

Also for a slightly cheaper Sennheiser, i think the guy from poison or twisted sister (dont remember which, it was in guitar world) anyways they use the Sennheiser ew172G2 ... looks like its discontinued now though... or they dont have any new ones on MF... *shrugs*
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major
MXR phase 90, Pigtronix Echolution 2
Digitech Whammy (5th gen)

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust
Samson Airline77. No tone sucking, awesome range, and a moderate price.

Check em out for sure!
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Quote by Brendan.Clace
Samson Airline77. No tone sucking, awesome range, and a moderate price.

Check em out for sure!

For every wire you add, for every pedal you add, your tone will always diminish. Always. Unless you have a buffer, and even then....

Wireless setups have a bigger problem with that because they are sending frequencies, and even if they are protected frequencies, other electronics can interfere ever so slightly with the sound. That's why those thousand dollar set ups have all this protection because it tries to shield your tone as much as possible, and also tries to preserve it being transmitted via frequency.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

Quote by Weeping_Demon7

Slash uses this.

there are plenty of reasons to get wireless, cheifly, the main one being (in this case) that the TS WANTS ONE... thats good enough reason for me... lol

TS did not ask "is wireless any good?" and he certainly didnt ask you to tell him that there is no good reason for him to get one. Who are you to make decisions about whether or not TS has or has not got a good reason to get a wireless system??

my wireless system comes into its own when i play small cramped stages where wire tangling is an issue. Yes wireless will sound different to a cable... will the audience notice the sound difference? certainly not!!!
Quote by hippyheaven1
there are plenty of reasons to get wireless, cheifly, the main one being (in this case) that the TS WANTS ONE... thats good enough reason for me... lol

TS did not ask "is wireless any good?" and he certainly didnt ask you to tell him that there is no good reason for him to get one. Who are you to make decisions about whether or not TS has or has not got a good reason to get a wireless system??

my wireless system comes into its own when i play small cramped stages where wire tangling is an issue. Yes wireless will sound different to a cable... will the audience notice the sound difference? certainly not!!!

It's just the guys opinion. I'm sure he meant no harm by it.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Quote by hippyheaven1
will the audience notice the sound difference? certainly not!!!

Never EVER go by that again. The audience doesn't know anything about guitar tone, so are you suggesting we buy low price epiphones and marshall mg halfstacks to impress them with our Marshall and Gibson, since they won't know the difference in tone?

Quote by SaintsofNowhere
Never EVER go by that again. The audience doesn't know anything about guitar tone, so are you suggesting we buy low price epiphones and marshall mg halfstacks to impress them with our Marshall and Gibson, since they won't know the difference in tone?

no, but what I am suggesting is that there is very little difference between the sound of my wireless and the sound of a cable, so much so that the audience cant tell the difference. I can hardly tell the difference myself, in fact the difference is soooo negligable that i often forget im going through a wireless system..

this is in no way camparable to switching out my gibson/blackstar/bugera rig for a low priced epiphone going into a marshall MG. lol

dear oh dear!!!
Last edited by hippyheaven1 at Dec 7, 2009,
Quote by hippyheaven1

He came to a forum asking for advice. I gave my opinion. If he chooses not to listen to it, then that's his problem. Not mine.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The above mentioned Line 6 X2 systems are the ones I've been looking at getting. Probably the XDS Plus one. I haven't heard a bad comment about them except for the send unit being plastic.
Quote by Weeping_Demon7
He came to a forum asking for advice. I gave my opinion. If he chooses not to listen to it, then that's his problem. Not mine.

To be fair, TS was asking for advice on which wirelss to get as he knew that he wanted one after having tried one out. He didnt ask "should I get a wireless?" or "is there a good reason to get wireless?"

peace

G
you can get a nady wireless system for as low as $60.

...i didn't bother to read through the thread. hope this helps.