I've got a crate v-18 1x12 right now that I'm looking to upgrade as much as possible. It's got a Celestion Hi watt speaker now, and outside that it's stock. I would like to be able to get good blues, rock, and funk tones, and maybe some heavier distortion. What is the best way to go about this. Obviously some sort of better tubes first, then what about wiring and electronics, what can be done.

My price limit is $200.

Thanks y'all
Guitars
Gibson SG '61 Reissue 'Aretha'
Fender MIM Strat 'Rosy'
Takamine EG 332c 'Betsy'
Epiphone G-400 'Lucy'

Amps
Crate V-18 1x12
Roland Cube 30x

Pedals
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Electro-Harmonix Double Muff
Line 6 Echo Park
Last edited by rhcpjhlz at Nov 29, 2009,
New tubes, an overdrive and an Eq pedal = win, without those things I hated the amp.

For tubes normally I'd recommend JJ's, but the amp is rather bass and dark sounding, so I'd say some tung sol 12 ax7s, if you want a bit lower gain then use 12at7. I've only tried jj power tubes, you can try tyhe JJ's as they will more than likely sound better.

As for an overdrive, a bad monkey is always recomended. Cheap and awesome. Another good choice is a danelectro transparent overdrive, again cheap, true bypass and its a clone of the famous timmy overdrive. However try and aget a version 1 of it. A good EQ if you can buy online is the artec 8 band eq. A little more than the danelectro, but it has an extra band, metal casing, quiter, and its also true bypass and can come witha tuner.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
I've got an electro harmonix double muff for drive so thats good. The EQ pedal could be pretty useful, I hadn't thought about that. I'll check into the SLO mod, I've never heard of it before. I'm just looking for places to start looking right now. Thanks for the replies too, where else can you get amp tips at 1:30 in the morning, nowhere but UG.
Guitars
Gibson SG '61 Reissue 'Aretha'
Fender MIM Strat 'Rosy'
Takamine EG 332c 'Betsy'
Epiphone G-400 'Lucy'

Amps
Crate V-18 1x12
Roland Cube 30x

Pedals
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Electro-Harmonix Double Muff
Line 6 Echo Park