I am looking for a new amp, and was looking at the Line 6 Spider models, the Roland Cube , and the Behringer V-Tone GM108.

I can only guess how these compare, so I ask, which is the best in terms of quality and features?

I've been playing for a little over a year now, and enjoy playing classic rock, jazz and metal.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Cube. Easy.
Hovercraft Falcon 100 "La Dama del Solaris"
ESP LTD Phoenix-1000
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Silverburst
What's your budget and where do you live?
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
I'd go with the cube
Gear:
PRS SE Custom
Takamine G Series Acoustic
Peavey Vypyr 30
Digitech RP 250

Quote by voodoochild23
The only time I'll dance is if Nickelback caught fire and no one helped.
Quote by Wolf 6
Peavey Vypyr 15w

this!
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Well I'm just looking for something cheap, nothing more expensive than 150... preferably 100. I live in Sacramento.

Does the Cube have all the effects the Spider has?
And what about the Peavy?
Get the Vypyr then.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
If you really need all the effects in a cheap practice amp, I'd say the Vypyr15. Quite a versatile little amp.

Just remove the Spider from the list entirely, tbh...
The Vypyr has 12 amp models (24 if you count the red and green channels), 12 effects (I think and 2 parameters), a built-in tuner, reverb, delay, and $100. sorry if I spelled any of that wrong, it's around 2:00 o' clock.
Quote by chotsbots
I am looking for a new amp, and was looking at the Line 6 Spider models, the Roland Cube , and the Behringer V-Tone GM108.

I can only guess how these compare, so I ask, which is the best in terms of quality and features?

I've been playing for a little over a year now, and enjoy playing classic rock, jazz and metal.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

I like the Cube (just the ones with COSM software!), most people will say the Vypyr because it's popular around here right now. Try both, they're both fairly good amps.

I would try and stay away from both Behringer and Line 6 at your price range, as Behringer is notorious for having terrible construction, reliability and quality control, and inexpensive Line 6 amplifiers are not very good. However, keep in mind that on your budget you're not going to be getting the best amp on the face of the earth and that modeling amplifiers do not take pedals well.
everybody around this site loves to badmouth spiders (and mgs and peaveys etc.) but theyre super versatile and dont sound bad at all for the price.
Quote by imicius
I like the Cube (just the ones with COSM software!), most people will say the Vypyr because it's popular around here right now. Try both, they're both fairly good amps.

I would try and stay away from both Behringer and Line 6 at your price range, as Behringer is notorious for having terrible construction, reliability and quality control, and inexpensive Line 6 amplifiers are not very good. However, keep in mind that on your budget you're not going to be getting the best amp on the face of the earth and that modeling amplifiers do not take pedals well.

Yes, i'm aware I won't get the best amp out there, just the best one for my price range.
I'm not worrying about pedals as of now, as I grow as a guitarist I will gradually expand my gear, this is just my next step.

I seem to have my choice narrowed down to the Vypyr and the Cube. I'm leaning more for the Vypyr, but just to make sure, what makes the Cube a preference for you personally?
Quote by chotsbots
Yes, i'm aware I won't get the best amp out there, just the best one for my price range.
I'm not worrying about pedals as of now, as I grow as a guitarist I will gradually expand my gear, this is just my next step.

I seem to have my choice narrowed down to the Vypyr and the Cube. I'm leaning more for the Vypyr, but just to make sure, what makes the Cube a preference for you personally?

I really like both of them equally for what they are, inexpensive modeling amps, but I think that it's worth trying two amps head-to-head to see for yourself which amplifier you like better. Realistically, the Vypyr is probably better, but I have a little Roland MicroCube in the trunk of my care for impromptu jams and the like because it runs off of some AA batteries. The emphasis here is that you try both of them and choose the one that better fits your tastes and needs.

I've recently become more inclined to recommend the Peavey ValveKing series; if you get one used and replace the speakers, tubes and OT you can get a fairly nice amplifier, plus you don't have to buy it all at once; you can upgrade it as you go along. However, a used VK typically runs ~$250, which is more then twice your budget. Just another option to consider.

Also the Line 6 Spider series is pretty bad, as are the Fender Frontman and Marshall MG. You should probably stay away from them, especially the head/cab arrangements.

EDIT: You can also sometimes find awesome deals on older solid state amplifiers from the late 80's/early 90's if you're willing to hunt and learn about them.
Last edited by imicius at Nov 29, 2009,
Thanks you everyone for the advice, I think I have a good idea what to get.

And @ imicius, I don't think i'm at that stage yet I'm just gonna keep practicing and when I deem myself worthy of new equipment I will go for it.

I realize I have much to learn about all of this... but I will learn of it in due time.
well like they said its better if you try them out side by side,
i think a cube will be lightly better for the jazz
but the vypyr has a lot better distortion
peavey vypyr 30
yamaha starter guitar
Agile AL-2000 Tribal Blue

R.I.P REV!

A God Has Fallen,
R.I.P. Dio!

why Scorpions Why!?!