Well I'm not entirely new in the prog scene, I've listened to all of Opeth, much Porcupine Tree and Dream Theater, but now I want to move to the classic bands.

Which records should I get first from Pink Floyd, Yes, Genesis and King Crimson?
Because they're the classics, and I want to start from these guys.
Also, is the new porcupine any good?
I recommend "In the Court of the Crimson King" by King Crimson, one of the best prog albums that's out there imho. Pink Floyd I would go for either Dark Side of the moon (if you don't have it allready ) or Wish you were here. Great albums but not that proggy.
A great record by Yes would be Fragile, very cool stuff.
Other than that I would recommend checking out Queen's (yes, Queen) second album, Queen II. It came out during the early 70's prog era and has a lot of that charme.
Dark side of the moon is one of the most critically acclaimed albums of all time, so I'll go with that. Yes sound good too.
But King Crimson... that album has horrible artwork, and I will NEVER buy it even though it's probably the most influential prog album ever.
What's other bands I'll like if I like Opeth?
album artwork has nothing to do with the music... /fail

Opeth are prog death metal you could say...

Check out Bloodbath [Akerfeldt is in this as well, but its more death less prog], Katatonia, Agalloch, Pain of Salvation, Porcupine Tree [more Prog]
My last.fm
Quote by OMMad
i've always found pop to be harder to play than metal... especially shred metal... it's just really fast tremolo picking and the occasional palm mute... and the only chords you have to worry about are power chords...
Quote by ingames
But King Crimson... that album has horrible artwork, and I will NEVER buy it even though it's probably the most influential prog album ever.
What's other bands I'll like if I like Opeth?

LOL
Hey man, it's horrible for a reason!!

Here's a list of first albums for you

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King
Yes - Close to the Edge
Rush - 2112 (or Moving Pictures, can't choose)
Genesis - Selling England by the Pound
Emerson Lake & Palmer - Brain Salad Surgery

Hopefully that's enough to get you started!