Page 1 of 2
so over the next couple of months/year ill be upgrading my guitar rig by buying a couple of stuff
whatr im aiming for is an intermediate rig...not that expensive but still more than just a beginners...what id like to know is if th things im gonna get are worth it or not, especially. im not looking for the best of sounds, that would cost too much...what i need is more practical...that i can play in a band with (though wont be gigging) so what i need is stuff that isnt too much hassle to carry around
i would also like it to be good with my squier strat and my ds-1 (which would be modded by that time)

the first thing im gonna get is a multi effects...most probably the zoom g2.1u...its seems good enough and is much cheaper than getting everything as stomp boxes (but i will replace every effect with stomp boxes slowly slowly). also carrying a simple multi effects i better than carrying loads of individual effects

i will then get a fender super champ XD...a hybrid amp. the one thing im worried about is whether the multi effects would be good with this or not...both have amp simulation so im wondering whether they could get in the way of each other...also can someone confirm if it would be loud enough to beat acoustic drums

i would really like if i can find a fender cyclone...i need a guitar with humbuckers, at least one anyway so ill looking for either the HH or SH one...how good are these? i know hat they are out of production so finding one would be a bit tough but if i can find one should i get it, and how much should i buy it for?

btw ill be playing mainly alt rock (nirvana, chili peppers, pearl jam, muse but ill also play classic rock, jimi, zeppelin...the hardest i get to is ac/dc) along my strat would i be able to cover all of these possible bands

thanks
I have a Fender Performer 650, so I can testify to the awesomeness of Fender Hybrid amps.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by rooster456
I have a Fender Performer 650, so I can testify to the awesomeness of Fender Hybrid amps.

great...never heard of it though...ill look it up
few things

fender cyclone? if you want a fender with humbuckers then get a 72' deluxe telecaster because a cyclone would be hell to find
forget the super champ and just get a small all valve combo like a blues jr or orange tiny terror
and unless your using that many effects (which by your band list i take it you don't) i wouldn't reccomend the zoom. just get a good od/dist and then whatever else you need (delay, fuzz, reverb, maybe wah though i find it pretty useless) it will sound better
yeah i know that the fender cyclone would be hard to find...thats one of the reasons i want it, out of production guitar that almost no one has makes it even cooler imo
plus it can be pretty cheap (300 to 500 dollars)
the blues junior and other amps like that are pretty expensive (twice the price, easily 650, plus are too big to carry around)...and other valve amps are too small (5w) that i can afford.
while i am a bit unsure about the multi effects the thing right now im at a stage where i play most stuff that does need effects, that without them i cant really play the song, but i dont use them enough that i need to buy separate ones

what i need to know is if these will sound good together

btw id like to spend (in euro)
pedals-max 160
amp-max 350
guitar-max 550
so a made in america fender is too expensive and id like something more expotic, not the normal strat/tele
^SPend more on your amp, and for that I recommend a ValvePower 18w (Great for classic rock) - http://www.valvepower.co.uk/,

Pedals - MadeByMike Booster, MadeByMike Fuzz Face

Guitar - TC Ellis Les Paul Series 2
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
sorry but i really dont like the valve power...something about it...and while it might be good for classic rock, classic rock is only a secondary genre...mainly alt rock i play

the pedals look cool but i already have a distortion and i really need stuff like a flanger, phaser, wah, chorus...that doesnt come with the amp. while they arent a must most songs require something like these so i really need a multi effects as i dont want to spends too much money byt getting them separate

as for the guitar...i strictly want a fender that isnt a strat or a tele (not even copies...has to be a fender)
Guitar - How bout a fender jaguar or jazzmaster? Those would both fit your needs I believe

Amp - Peavey valveking or the Peavey classic 30 could work. Even better if your willing to go used.
Gear:
G&L Legacy
Fender Champ 600

SKYNYRD!
yeah i love the jag...but its priced 750-800 euro..slightly too expensive
i was also considering the jagmaster though, if i were to just get a cheap guitar with humbuckers.
cyclone would be best choice but failing that id def go for a jag

as for the valveking...thats way too expensive

id really like to keep the stuff fender as the store which i buy from is their agents and i really like it there so i might get a discount
Last edited by '93 at Nov 29, 2009,
i think for a starter rig its not bad, if you like fenders another easy solution is just buying a fat strat as or a HH strat, easy to find fairly cheap used. ive never played the fender hybrid amps, i did like the hot rods, suprisingly if your into alt rock its easy enough to set an amps eqs, with the hotrods i allows scooped out the mids to get the classic rock tone to go away. multi effects are fine, with the right amp they sound fine, i never used the amp mods on them i just liked some of the effects, actually i know a guy with a jsx halfstack who uses a digitech multi board, his setup sounded pretty good
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
great...its not really a starter rig though...its more intermediate, eventually i will replace everything, or get something else
Well,why don't you actually tell us your overall budget,so that way we can suggest things you can afford.

Also,the ZOOM processors are crap,if you want nice effects just get some higher quality stomp boxes.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

this would be over the next year or year and a half

pedal...christmas...160 eruo
amp...summer '10...350 euro
guitar...have no idea, end of summer '10, or christmas...550 euro

the thing is i want imtermediate stuff, semi proffesional that is versatile so i can get many different sounds
i also want to leave enough money so that i can get better stuff later on, so i wont have everything i need straight away and new stuff will always be available if you know what i mean
the thing is many of the amps that are not solid state (this one might be hybrid, but thats because of the dsp so really its a tube with a dsp) tend to become expensive if you need them loud enough to play in a band with

the super champ seems to be a good enough to jam with drums while not being the 600 euro plus amps that everyone is telling me to get
SCXD is a great amp for practice and small jam sessions, but if you plug into a decent cab it becomes much richer and louder sounding and can easily fill a room. I run mine through a 2x12 and sometimes even a fender 412 and it really sounds amazing.

If you don't plan on getting a cab to go with it then I would suggest a blues jr instead or some other valve amp with a bigger speaker. If you do get the SCXD you can just buy the amp and then be on the look out for a used cab off of Craigslist... I can't see buying cabs new when you can pick them up perfectly good used.

Yes, you will be able to play all blues and classic & hard rock with XD... in fact, it's perfect for those genres and jazz and anything except hard core metals... just get a cab.

When it comes to buying external effects... I think you should spend your money on "individual pedals" (analog or digital) that you like and will probly keep and use later when you get another or other amps eventually.

Also, resale value and tradeability of carefully selected pedals is usually pretty good, but you if you buy an expensive multieffect unit you will probably take a big loss on resale, and if you buy a cheap one you can't give it away.

I think the XD's digital effects are half-way decent and should get you by just fine until you collect all the pedals you need and like. Just my opinion...
~JP~
Last edited by Jammy Pige at Dec 29, 2009,
get a tube amp.... you will be so much more satisfied with the sound... i will never ever own a solid state amplifier again
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Marshall JCM 900 50w Dual Reverb
Quote by LPstudioWRz28
get a tube amp.... you will be so much more satisfied with the sound... i will never ever own a solid state amplifier again

I hate to sound like a "tube nazi", but... ^this. It seems to me there's no reason not to get a tube amp if you can afford a decent one. After playing through a 15w Line 6 Spyder III for 2 years, and playing through various tube amps, there's just no comparison.

I HAVE heard, however, that there are some SS amps, such as the Roland JVC-120 and the Randall RG100, that are pretty decent. But the general consensus is that Fender solid-states are kind of crappy.
Why waste money on things you intend to replace later anyways? Cut to the chase and get gear that's going to last.
Quote by Zycho
Why waste money on things you intend to replace later anyways? Cut to the chase and get gear that's going to last.

+9999

Make do with what you have and save some more money to get better gear, because if you intend to replace it all you are just wasting all the money you are spending now.
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works
I'm with the rest of the guys. The Super champ is nice, don't get me wrong, but for the price you can probably do better.

I would suggest looking used for the amp, for the price of a superchamp new you can probably dig around and find a blues jr or even a hot rod deluxe.

I might also suggest if money is an issue check out the peavey vypyr series. I replaced my superchamp xd with one of those. Skip the multi effects pedal, and use the extra cash to go with the vypyr tube series even. its right in you price range and it has the effects you are looking for. I've owned both the spider valve and the vypyr tube as well as numerous tube amps, but for down and dirty, easy to lug around tubey goodness, the Vypyr is hard to beat.

Having spent way to much oney on guitars over the years, I've learned to not compromise and get what you want, not want you can afford now, since you'll spend more money upgrading or fixing it up later.

As far as the guitar, you might also want to check out the squier classic vibe stuff too. These are great guitars and way better then standard squiers. I've got 4 strats, including an american deluxe, but my 50's classic vibe gets way more playing time then any of them.
wow i relly didnt expect this thread to rise up again

i got a multi effects the zoom g2.1u
I LOVE IT...it is amazing and makes my ss amp sound much better

as for the amplifier...the blues junior is like 600 euro
the super champ is like 350

ill be getting a job in summer so ill see if i can afford it. but the scxd has 4 tubes in it so ii think its full tube
its only a hybrid cos of the advanced dsp
what about the pro junior, that seems cheaper than the blues junior

guitar wise i dont want a squier
i know theyre good and all but i just love fender.
i already have a squier so i think im ready to have a decent (by decent i mean good, i know squiers are decent, i love mine) guitar
btw i also needed the zoom g2.1u to record with as im doing a project for school (i need the project for university so it important) and with the zoom i got good recordingsoftware (cubase le4) and i can just plug it in through usb, as im def not going to use the amp that i have currently to record
Didnt realize this was old sorry. Since you got the zoom already, I'll mention this, for about 3 dollars in parts its very easy to add an effects loop to the superchamp, so you can place your effects after the preamps, right where most the once you mentioned belong
With a 350 budget, you could afford a Laney VC15.
Gear:
Fender Mexican Standard Strat(Sunburst, Rosewood, Custom Shop '69 pickups)
Fender Super Champ XD
EHX Big Muff Pi
Yamaha Acoustic
Alvarez Silver Anniversary Acoustic
Quote by '93

ill be getting a job in summer so ill see if i can afford it. but the scxd has 4 tubes in it so ii think its full tube
its only a hybrid cos of the advanced dsp
what about the pro junior, that seems cheaper than the blues junior

I'm sorry but it's not a Full tube amp. I played one when making the decision on my amp and, although it sounds great clean, it has a solid state pre-amp. All the distortion on this amp is SS and for this it doesn't lean towards being overdriven from your effects.

You've obviously read "Tube Amplifier with DSP" off the website specs, but that; it is not. It only has a Tube power Amp Section.

If you have a look at the schematic you'll also see it has a solid state rectifier: http://www.fender.com/support/amp_schematics/pdfs/Super_Champ_XD.pdf

Seriously save your money. Work hard and go all tube, because at some point you're going to gig/jam/play with a full tube amp next to yours and realise how little tone you really have.

Save your money and instead of buying an amp with the mind to buy another, buy the best you can first time around.
'05 Fender Speed Shop So-Cal Stratocaster
'95 Squier Standard Strat

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Orange Dark Terror + PPC212
Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Last edited by Madsalty at Dec 30, 2009,
i got confused with that diagram...but i trust you
madsalty i see that you have the blues junior...i guess youll know how i sounds then right

what about the pro junior...is that good?
Quote by LPstudioWRz28

That is what I said Until I found a Crate GX-130C, I find myself playing that as much as my JCM800 and my Mesa triple rec.
Quote by Pr0gNut
Well,why don't you actually tell us your overall budget,so that way we can suggest things you can afford.

Also,the ZOOM processors are crap,if you want nice effects just get some higher quality stomp boxes

This.

I own the G1J and although it's a signature pedal and I gave it high praise in a review, its charm wears off after a month or two of use.
Lifes a grave and I dig it!
Quote by DimeLvR
That is what I said Until I found a Crate GX-130C, I find myself playing that as much as my JCM800 and my Mesa triple rec.

I am extremely satisfied with my Crate as well. Very nice sound.
the crate look ok but im reallylooking for a tube amp rigt now
Quote by '93
i got confused with that diagram...but i trust you
madsalty i see that you have the blues junior...i guess youll know how i sounds then right

what about the pro junior...is that good?

The pro junior sounds pretty good, but it's let down by the 10" speaker. It sounds a touch compressed and the sound is far smaller than the junior. Also as it only has a Volume and Tone dial, with it being 15w, the only way you'll get it to overdrive is to crank the volume. Whilst it will sound great it'll be so loud you won't be able to practice. In my mind if all you were going to use it for was cleans, then sure it's a good small tube amp. However i'd go with the blues. It's got a EQ/Tonestack and separate pre and post amp volumes so you can overdrive the amp at low volumes. It just makes things more controllable. I've recently swapped the speaker out and installed some proper tubes and the tone is jaw dropping. I've also added a tru-bipass to my tone stack so i get unadulterated tone.

It's plenty big/loud enough to do smaller gigs with although i normally just take the GT-8 and go straight into the PA.

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
get a laney vc15
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Quote by Madsalty
The pro junior sounds pretty good, but it's let down by the 10" speaker. It sounds a touch compressed and the sound is far smaller than the junior. Also as it only has a Volume and Tone dial, with it being 15w, the only way you'll get it to overdrive is to crank the volume. Whilst it will sound great it'll be so loud you won't be able to practice. In my mind if all you were going to use it for was cleans, then sure it's a good small tube amp. However i'd go with the blues. It's got a EQ/Tonestack and separate pre and post amp volumes so you can overdrive the amp at low volumes. It just makes things more controllable. I've recently swapped the speaker out and installed some proper tubes and the tone is jaw dropping. I've also added a tru-bipass to my tone stack so i get unadulterated tone.

It's plenty big/loud enough to do smaller gigs with although i normally just take the GT-8 and go straight into the PA.

so with the blues id have an overdrive knob (i presume thats what you mean with the preamp volume)...ill have to see
i wont be getting it till mid summer 10 for sure so...

but i will start looking into it
A great cheap Tube amp to get is a Bugera 333xl Used you can find from $300 - $500US It can do almost every style and a 2x12 combo is plenty loud to jam with a drummer.
Quote by '93
so with the blues id have an overdrive knob (i presume thats what you mean with the preamp volume)...ill have to see
i wont be getting it till mid summer 10 for sure so...

but i will start looking into it

Something like that. You have the 'Master Volume', which controls the Power amp volume and 'Volume' which controls pre-amp volume, which gives you flexibility.

For example i like to turn the master volume to 12 and leave the volume around 3. This way you get a super rich Clean tone.

Or

You can turn the master to say 3 and the Volume to 12 and have an overdriven sound.

The Boost button adds a mid boost and a touch more gain btw.

There are other tube amps however. I like the Blues as it's a great Clean base sound for pedals and the Clean sound is simply divine but that's specific to me.

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
ill look at the bugera as well

ywould the blues be good enough to play nirvana and pearl jam if i add a pedal to it?
Quote by Victor Escobar
This.

I own the G1J and although it's a signature pedal and I gave it high praise in a review, its charm wears off after a month or two of use.

the g1j looks a bit crap

but i like my zoom...i bought it now, nothing to do
I've been doing just about the same thing it sounds like you are going to. Firstly, don't buy a hybrid amp, they are the biggest scam on the market. I had one of the Vox modeling 'hybrid' amps. They are just over hyped solid state amplifiers. If you can find a used Crate Palomino v30 or v50 you will not be able to go wrong. It instantly improved my sound to an immeasurable degree.

As far as your pedals go, unless you are going to be playing gigs in the near future and really NEED to have the effects, it seems like it would save you a great deal of money to just be patient and add pedals as you go. At the moment I only have a Boss TU2, Ibanez Chorus/Flanger, and a Crybaby and am going to add more later.

For your guitar you can really do better than a Fender Cyclone. If you like Fender guitars as opposed to a Gibson style guitar with humbuckers then either the '72 Telecaster Deluxe or '72 Thinline Deluxe will be your best bet. That or a Jaguar would work perfectly for the bands that you have listed.
Quote by cmalmo4
I've been doing just about the same thing it sounds like you are going to. Firstly, don't buy a hybrid amp, they are the biggest scam on the market. I had one of the Vox modeling 'hybrid' amps. They are just over hyped solid state amplifiers. If you can find a used Crate Palomino v30 or v50 you will not be able to go wrong. It instantly improved my sound to an immeasurable degree.

As far as your pedals go, unless you are going to be playing gigs in the near future and really NEED to have the effects, it seems like it would save you a great deal of money to just be patient and add pedals as you go. At the moment I only have a Boss TU2, Ibanez Chorus/Flanger, and a Crybaby and am going to add more later.

For your guitar you can really do better than a Fender Cyclone. If you like Fender guitars as opposed to a Gibson style guitar with humbuckers then either the '72 Telecaster Deluxe or '72 Thinline Deluxe will be your best bet. That or a Jaguar would work perfectly for the bands that you have listed.

ok i wont get the fender super champ

about the effects i figured that for now i dont really need loads of amazing effects...i love the wah on it and some tones i can get really well (such as acdc...it sounds pretty close for the fact that my stuff isnt that great

thing is the 72' deluxe is way out of my price range...remember the cyclone is a mim fender...so it wont cost more than 500 euro.
the closest i can probably get is a mim hss strat
Id love a cyclone, I'd prefer the cyclone II though.
But if you can't get your hands on one you could always just modify a mustang, same body shape and same short scale neck I believe. It's what I'm planning on if my search for cyclone fails miserably.
Page 1 of 2