Hello all.
I generally play alternative rock, and I would cite bands like Bush and Live as similar sounds. Most songs I write have either clean verse-distorted chorus dynamics, and the types of distortion I use are more or less moderate, but sometimes a bit heavy/high-gain.
I own a Squier Deluxe Stratocaster and play through a Boss DS-1 pedal and a Roland 20X amp.
Now my question.
After a while of playing it, the DS-1 stopped satisfying all my wants, and though it has a good range of sound, i found I couldn't quite get the exact tone I wanted out of it: It's too bluesy, and doesn't have as much distortion as I would have liked. After some research and trying things out, I am now considering the DF-7, which is one I have yet to try out. Do you think I could get a nice alternative sound out of it? (think songs like Everything Zen by Bush or All Over You by Live) Or is it possibly too metal-based/heavy?
Additionally, do Roland make amps that are mostly only for clean tones? I don't need effects on my amp as I use pedals, so if anyone can tell me about clean-tone-based Roland amps, that would help a lot.
Thanks in advance!
Your dreams are all out of focus;
Knock you up when you're feeling down.
And all the world feels so unreal...

COLORFUL COLORS
Quote by ishmonkey
Hitler was really smart and could have been a good leader but he was kind of a douche to the Jews.
No... the DF7 is digital and worse than the DS1.

The Jazz Chorus is one of the best clean amps around.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Nov 29, 2009,
Avoid the DF-7 like the plague. Its really noisy, digital and sterile. Probably the worst purchase I've ever made in my life.
Quote by mountain2012
I want a Fender because they are THE American rock sound. I'm proud to be an American.

Gear:
1981 Gibson Les Paul Firebrand

Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss SD-1
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-7
EHX LPB-1
Had a DF-7 and glad I sold it, listen to these people...

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by c0m2011
Avoid the DF-7 like the plague. Its really noisy, digital and sterile. Probably the worst purchase I've ever made in my life.

hey but i've played on a DigiTech Grunge, so I can deal with noise if I can find a way to control it.
Is it not good for anything? DF-7 has high ratings, what about using it to play live? DS-1 should do fine for recording, won't use much of that noisy distortion for recording but for playing live?
Your dreams are all out of focus;
Knock you up when you're feeling down.
And all the world feels so unreal...

COLORFUL COLORS
Quote by ishmonkey
Hitler was really smart and could have been a good leader but he was kind of a douche to the Jews.
Jesus christ...
It's a piece of shit. You seem really desparate to get one. if you wish to waste your money and sound like arse, go ahead, but you'll wise up eventually. The DF7 has "high ratings" coz n00bs buy it and then review it saying its aMaz3, when they haven't developed an ear for tone yet.

Check out the EHX Big Muff PI w/ TW, Tech 21 Sans Amp series, Digitech HM2.
I'm gonna get flamed for this, but have you tried a DS-1? Basically a DS-1 with more gain and a more modern voicng.
Strat

Proco Turbo RAT
Boss RE-20

Fender Blues Junior
Quote by Leverageofspace
I'm gonna get flamed for this, but have you tried a DS-1? Basically a DS-1 with more gain and a more modern voicng.

Huh?

TS, that pedal is indeed overpriced garbage. I know it seems like a good idea but believe me it isn't
I don't know a lot about practice amps but I thought the point of a Roland 20X was it already has Boss effects built in?
Really? I thought the DF-7 wasn't bad, though I grew out of it and went with a Route-808 from Visual Sounds later. Good pedal for beginners, but the FX did sound digital which is why I stopped using it.
My Gear:
Ibanez SV5470 Prestige
Washburn WG208
Marshall MG15DFX(Practice amp)
Peavey Classic Rocker 30/Vox AC15( Coming soon)
POD X3 Live..xD
Mesa Boogie Lonestar Special(In my dreams...)