I am heavily into classic rock and blues. Love to play anything from the Dead to Cold play, just no metal. What would be a good amp under $500 to match with the PRS SE Custom I am about to pick up? I love the sound a tube puts out, so as of right now I am checking out the VT50 by VOX. Any suggestions?
(Gigging)
Peavey Classic 30
Fender Blues Jr.
Bugera V55

(Home Use Only)
Bugera V5
Fender Champ 600
Vox AC4TV
I want just a single box, not a head. Just one box (not sure what you call that, still learning)
Quote by phlip999
(Gigging)
Peavey Classic 30
Fender Blues Jr.
Bugera V55

(Home Use Only)
Bugera V5
Fender Champ 600
Vox AC4TV

+1 for the classic 30
the vox 50 is SWEET! dont know how it will sound with the PRS though (another SWEET)
GUITARS
Burswood Acoustic
Squier Affinity Strat
Fender Tele Deluxe
BASS
Ibanez Jetking bass
AMPS
Marshall MG30DFX
Peavey max 158 bass amp
Fender Bassman 250
1979 Carvin of some sort
And some pedals
Quote by ledzep149
+1 for the classic 30

Make that +2.

I don't like a lot of Peavey's amps, but that one is a real winner.
Quote by iamthunderman
I want just a single box, not a head. Just one box (not sure what you call that, still learning)

Combo

||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

The Vox VT50 is pretty good. I use the AD50VT (the older model) and I like it alot.

FYI, the one box is called a "Combo Amp"
Equipment:

Dean VX
Dean Avalanche 7
Squire SE Stratocaster
Vox AD50VT
Boss OD-20
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Used Blues Deluxe reissue
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
WOW, thanks for all the responses teaching me the right lingo. I ahve to admit that being a 40 year old man just getting into playing is a bit intimidating since mos of the players are under 30 LOL. A tube amp is the way to go?
Quote by iamthunderman
WOW, thanks for all the responses teaching me the right lingo. I ahve to admit that being a 40 year old man just getting into playing is a bit intimidating since mos of the players are under 30 LOL. A tube amp is the way to go?

If you know what you're going to be playing then yes, tube is (mostly) better than solid state. Some people like solid states better though.

If you want a lot of effects and lots of different amp presets, get a modeling amp. Most of the modeling amps are solid state though.
Yes,but if you have enough money,high end SS amp is really good also
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
Just so you know, the Vox VT series aren't tube amps. Without getting into too much detail, they have one tube in the signal path that colors the sound a little bit, but is essentially a gimmick. These types of amps are what we call "Hybrid" amps. There are many good hybrid amps, including the VT series, but they aren't good because of the one tube, which does very little. Also, higher end solid state amps can be just as good as many tube amps, and in some cases more versatile. Look into the Line 6 Vetta/Flextone.

To get a good amp recommendation, the following information is good to have:

-What is your budget?
-Can you buy used (there are some REALLY good deals in the used market, but few warranties are still valid)?
-Will you be playing shows (I assume not, since you're just starting out. This means you don't need an amp with a lot of volume)?
-What is your nearest major city, if in the USA (If you can go used, we can look on craigslist for you to find a good deal)?
-What types of music do you want to play (As different amps are suited for different styles)?
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
I would like to stay under $500

No shows of right now, I would love to get a band going one day.

I live in Little Rock

I will be playin a mix of blues / classic rock, U2/Cold Play style as well.

Quote by ibz_bucket
-What is your budget?
-Can you buy used (there are some REALLY good deals in the used market, but few warranties are still valid)?
-Will you be playing shows (I assume not, since you're just starting out. This means you don't need an amp with a lot of volume)?
-What is your nearest major city, if in the USA (If you can go used, we can look on craigslist for you to find a good deal)?
-What types of music do you want to play (As different amps are suited for different styles)?
Quote by iamthunderman
I would like to stay under $500

No shows of right now, I would love to get a band going one day.

I live in Little Rock

I will be playin a mix of blues / classic rock, U2/Cold Play style as well.

Thanks. Here are some good deals:

http://littlerock.craigslist.org/msg/1486376054.html - These amps are very good, quite underrated. That's why they go so cheap used.

http://littlerock.craigslist.org/msg/1486068383.html - This is a great amp. Even though it's $25 over your price range, it is one of the best amps on the market for what you want to play. You may even be able to talk this guy down to $475 or so. I strongly suggest this one.

http://littlerock.craigslist.org/msg/1483478798.html - This is more versatile than what you need, but it's a great amp nonetheless. Also comes with effects and a foot controller, both of which are pretty good quality.

http://littlerock.craigslist.org/msg/1483450891.html - This amp is excellent also, albeit a little too many knobs for you. Look into it, but I'd take the Belair over this any day.

New, I'd look into a Peavey Classic 30, Blackstar HT-5, and Bugera V22/V55.
Quote by sg4ever

Quote by CullenT

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Quote by iamthunderman
WOW! Thanks a ton dude. Tell me more about Burgera?

made some peavey clone,and they have reliability issue
Quote by angusfan16
Weird, I am looking for my first electric guitar and am also looking at the same PRS SE and Vox VT50, haha. If you remember, let me know what you end up getting and how you like it!
Quote by iamthunderman
WOW! Thanks a ton dude. Tell me more about Burgera?

Bugera is a company that makes clones of Peavey's amplifiers. They used to mostly do hard rock and metal amps, but just released their V series, which is a clean/blues/classic rock type of amp. They are notoriously good for the price, which tends to be very cheap. However, they used to have lots of reliability issues, because they were, and still are, made in China. Some say that their quality control and reliability has gotten better in 2009, but I've never owned a Bugera, so I can't say one way or the other. They are worth checking out, but if you can spend the extra money for a used Peavey or that Carvin, it's definitely a good idea.
Quote by sg4ever

Quote by CullenT

Quote by AcousticMirror

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Quote by ibz_bucket
Bugera is a company that makes clones of Peavey's amplifiers. They used to mostly do hard rock and metal amps, but just released their V series, which is a clean/blues/classic rock type of amp. They are notoriously good for the price, which tends to be very cheap. However, they used to have lots of reliability issues, because they were, and still are, made in China.

Great posts.

The reliability seems much improved now, about the same standard as most other budget far east tube amps. And after all, you do get a warranty.
Just an FYI, I have a Singlecut SE and a C 30 and for Classic and southern rock it's great. I also use it for country and with some dirt at the front end we do a cover of Radioheads Creep. It covers most of the ground pretty well..I would suggest cutting the coils on the pups for versatility.
Beach Hound

"Time Well Wasted..."BP