Page 1 of 2
Hey guys, I'm not going to lie, this is a "feeling sorry for yourself" thread, but right about now, I really need someone to cheer me up. And sorry for the wall of text

Let me start at the beginning, I finished high school and got my grades back in like August, My grades weren't all that good, so I didn't get to leave this place and go to Canada, as I'd been planning for the whole of last year.

Instead, I ended up going to a local Uni, which is surprisingly good, except for one thing.
I don't speak the local language, and everyone is uber conservative, with all the girls sitting on one side of the classroom, and all the guys on the other side.

The high school I went to was like, the exact opposite, so I kinda got used to hanging around girls, and generally enjoying myself. Now, however, I'm on my own for most of the time, and it's hard to make friends, as I don't speak the language.

There's a few cool people here and I try to spend time with them, but they're not in any of my classes, so it's kinda hard.

The depression is fuelled by two things, as far as I can tell;
1) ( I think this is the main one) I have NEVER had a girlfriend, not for lack of trying, I've asked out 3 girls, the first one was a bitch, and the other two were really nice, but both said I have bad timing, and I'm still pretty good friends with both of 'em.

2) I'm just so ****ing frustrated with where I am right now, I totally didn't think I would be here at this time last year, and I think my mind totally refuses to accept it.

I'm trying to get a really good GPA so I can get a transfer next year, but I'm gonna be stuck here until at the very least, February/March.
Do you guys have any suggestions on what I can do to make the time go faster, or help me get outta the depression w/o drugs etc?
Quote by guitaro69
thanks Mighty Thor!!!!

Your throne awaits!

Put this in your sig if The Rake scared the living **** out of you.
Spend more time playing guitar?

Music is the universal language.
PICTURE YOURSELF IN A BOAT ON A RIVER
WITH TANGERINE TREES AND MARMALADE SKIES...
Look at where you are. Your at a university, and yeah you can transfer. So many people don't even have that opportunity. You will probably make more friends, it just takes time. Be patient. And as far as not seeing yourself where you are at, when do things ever go as we plan anyway? At least your at a school and have a future.
Angus = god
Quote by sugar_daddy
(Invalid img)

Quote by guitaro69
thanks Mighty Thor!!!!

Your throne awaits!

Dude, conservative girls are the easiest girls. There's no competetion because the conservative guys around them are all wankers and they have no experience of anything. All you have to do is be confident and funny.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Totally go with the music bit. Of you don't know to spend your spare time just study a lot (to make sure the time you spend in that conservative shithole is brought to a minimum) and for the rest, gig away!

You'll be a better guitar player in the end and that's something NO-ONE can take away from you

Also, if your schoolmates are dicks just hang out with your other friends?
Military use of children?

Infantry.
Quote by Kensai
Dude, conservative girls are the easiest girls. There's no competetion because the conservative guys around them are all wankers and they have no experience of anything. All you have to do is be confident and funny.

Maybe I should have been more specific, conservative MUSLIM girls, the ones who are covered head to toe, and won't talk to dudes unless their lives depend on it.
Quote by guitaro69
thanks Mighty Thor!!!!

Your throne awaits!

Quote by Kensai

True story.
PICTURE YOURSELF IN A BOAT ON A RIVER
WITH TANGERINE TREES AND MARMALADE SKIES...
Quote by mitythor666
Maybe I should have been more specific, conservative MUSLIM girls, the ones who are covered head to toe, and won't talk to dudes unless their lives depend on it.

Oh... yeah that might be a bit more difficult.

Consider it a challenge instead! Or just find girls who aren't culturally oppressed.
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
One thing I didn't understand. You finished high school there, so you probably live there, you're going to the local uni which is also there, but you don't speak the language spoken there? (I don't know where cause you didn't say where)
Quote by deucedeucemr2
My knight in shining armor.

Quote by kstar22bassist
I like you sir. I would like to congratulate you on how awesome you are. You make me think that there is hope for humanity yet.

Quote by Venice King
1. Learn the language to an acceptable standard
2. Make friends
3. Get your dick out in class
4. ?????
5. Profit/you've learned a new language/ score with conservative girls

EDIT:
Quote by mitythor666

If they're all Muslims, disregard everything I said. You wont score with them, you shouldn't learn to speak arabic/urudu/whatever and there will be no profit.

GET THE **** OUT OF THERE AND GET TO CANADA.
Last edited by Matt-92 at Nov 29, 2009,
Quote by mitythor666

Yeah, I see you´re from Bahrain. Come to Orange County, California. There is a perfect mix. Arabs, Indians, Asians, Mexicans, Blacks, Whites, take your pick.

PLUS, the Muslim girls are hot here and they will **** you. Especially if you go to UCI.
I woke up this morning and I got myself a beer. The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Quote by BlackIce87
I'm not gonna lie, goin' mobile looks like Sebastian Bach in the eighties.
Quote by mitythor666

Oh... that's a hard one... forget the girlfriend idea for a while then... and what country are you in?

But seriously, about the lack of friends and stuff as such... just be patient. My brother started Uni a few months back. He had a rough start too. But now... it's completely different and everything is all good to him.
So Patience is your best friend at the moment. So keep with it for a while, you'll achieve what you need

Just think about the positives for now, YOU'RE IN UNIVERSITY!!!
dude that sounds exactly like me right now. the only part that i can't relate to is the language barrier. all i can say is there are tough times times in life, but those tough times make the good times seem all the more deserved and appreciated.

anyway good luck...wish you well.

So you're really in a shithole. And I thought that Bahrain in 'Location' was a joke... Anyway, try to find some advantages in the situation you are. On your place I wouldn't mind learning arabic. You never know what will be useful for you in the future. Another thing, I don't that ppl from uni is the only group you can hang out with. Maybe sign up for sports, or try to form a band? Doubtful that Bahrain lacks music interested ppl.
Or get some books to read.
Last edited by Gh. at Nov 29, 2009,
The reason I don't speak the language is I went to an English speaking high school, I was doing A-Levels, and Arabic wasn't a requirement, so I never bothered with it.

I'm not looking for a temp relationship, I'm a bit old fashioned I suppose, so I'm not really looking for girls right now, but it kinda makes me feel pathetic that I'm 18 and have never had a girlfriend.
Quote by guitaro69
thanks Mighty Thor!!!!

Your throne awaits!

Quote by mitythor666
The reason I don't speak the language is I went to an English speaking high school, I was doing A-Levels, and Arabic wasn't a requirement, so I never bothered with it.

I'm not looking for a temp relationship, I'm a bit old fashioned I suppose, so I'm not really looking for girls right now, but it kinda makes me feel pathetic that I'm 18 and have never had a girlfriend.

I´m 19 and never had a girlfriend. I know how you feel.

I´m living in Panama right now (was in Costa Rica for a while) and my Spanish is piss-poor so I can´t practice on these girls here until I get back to California.
I woke up this morning and I got myself a beer. The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Quote by BlackIce87
I'm not gonna lie, goin' mobile looks like Sebastian Bach in the eighties.

You may find a great girl even in Bahrain, if you search hard enought. Just don't give a **** about the past. There's only here-and-now and some future that you can change. There is nothing pathetic in your situation, seems that you hadn't enough luck.
Quote by Gh.
So you're really in a shithole. And I thought that Bahrain in 'Location' was a joke... Anyway, try to find some advantages in the situation you are. On your place I wouldn't mind learning arabic. You never know what will be useful for you in the future. Another thing, I don't that ppl from uni is the only group you can hang out with. Maybe sign up for sports, or try to form a band? Doubtful that Bahrain lacks music interested ppl.
Or get some books to read.

No, I do have friends from school, but I forgot to mention how anal my parents, specifically my dad, are. He thinks I shouldn't hang out with them so much since we have slightly different schedules. I can't even say shit to him coz he has a heart condition and gets riled up real easily whenever I bring up my friends.

My sister is the main coz of him being anal, I think. She made the whole family's lives miserable when she was running around with her boyfriend, whose child she ended up being pregnant with, and eventually marrying. And now my dad doesn't want to me to go down a similar path, so he really tightened up with me.
Quote by guitaro69
thanks Mighty Thor!!!!

Your throne awaits!

Quote by Gh.
You may find a great girl even in Bahrain, if you search hard enought. Just don't give a **** about the past. There's only here-and-now and some future that you can change. There is nothing pathetic in your situation, seems that you hadn't enough luck.

Lol, there's a slight problem with that, I still haven't gotten over the last girl I asked out, I still see her now and then, so I suppose that makes things worse, I'm just hoping that she realizes that us going out would be cool.
Quote by guitaro69
thanks Mighty Thor!!!!

Your throne awaits!

1) ( I think this is the main one) I have NEVER had a girlfriend, not for lack of trying, I've asked out 3 girls, the first one was a bitch, and the other two were really nice, but both said I have bad timing, and I'm still pretty good friends with both of 'em.

Then get a metronome.
Quote by mitythor666
Hey guys, I'm not going to lie, this is a "feeling sorry for yourself" thread, but right about now, I really need someone to cheer me up. And sorry for the wall of text

Let me start at the beginning, I finished high school and got my grades back in like August, My grades weren't all that good, so I didn't get to leave this place and go to Canada, as I'd been planning for the whole of last year.

Instead, I ended up going to a local Uni, which is surprisingly good, except for one thing.
I don't speak the local language, and everyone is uber conservative, with all the girls sitting on one side of the classroom, and all the guys on the other side.

The high school I went to was like, the exact opposite, so I kinda got used to hanging around girls, and generally enjoying myself. Now, however, I'm on my own for most of the time, and it's hard to make friends, as I don't speak the language.

There's a few cool people here and I try to spend time with them, but they're not in any of my classes, so it's kinda hard.

2) I'm just so ****ing frustrated with where I am right now, I totally didn't think I would be here at this time last year, and I think my mind totally refuses to accept it.

I'm trying to get a really good GPA so I can get a transfer next year, but I'm gonna be stuck here until at the very least, February/March.
Do you guys have any suggestions on what I can do to make the time go faster, or help me get outta the depression w/o drugs etc?

should have got better grades its your own fault!
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Quote by rancidryan
should have got better grades its your own fault!

I'm not blaming anyone, I know I ****ed up. I just want some advice is all
Quote by guitaro69
thanks Mighty Thor!!!!

Your throne awaits!

I'm in uni. I didn't make my first choice by 1 point. It's boring as ****. There are loads of events that I haven't been invited to, but I don't think I would have gone to any of them anyway, cos I'm just that boring. I could make my life more exciting, but I have just ceased to care.

I thought that getting back into education would make me more self-disciplined, but no. I spend more time on the internet than I ever have in my whole life (and that's saying something). I hardly play guitar, or even listen to music any more.

I've never had a girlfriend, I've never even asked anyone out. I can't be bothered to transfer, might as well get this shit over with. Most of the time I feel like I just wanna get my degree and GTFO.

I think, if you aren't doing well on the social side, do well on the academic side. Then you can transfer to a better place. It'll be worth it.
Last edited by sashki at Nov 29, 2009,
Quote by CrimsonHorn
Then get a metronome.

I'm sorry you maybe didn't get the advice you were looking for. After reading the whole thread, best advice would be to improve your grades to transfer out and find a hobby. I heard guitar is really entertaining, just look at my avatar . And I didn't mean to be a bitch when I asked why you didn't know the language (Plus silly me didn't read the "Location" under your avatar )

One last thing. Don't beat yourself up about the girls. You'll have your time like everyone one else.

Shit. I got a bit girly.
Quote by deucedeucemr2
My knight in shining armor.

Quote by kstar22bassist
I like you sir. I would like to congratulate you on how awesome you are. You make me think that there is hope for humanity yet.

Quote by Venice King
Last edited by KrlzGmz at Nov 29, 2009,
if you're finding it really difficult to make friends (obvious if you can't communicate with them) why not take up a hobby or join some societies? isn't there some sort of support system for international students?

if you can feasibly get out by february/march, and into a different uni, just do your best now and start applying to tons of places. good luck man
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

My life in all aspects is going fucking brilliantly, so I just thought I'd offer a cyncial scrap of wisdom, gloat a little, and then leave.
Quote by Doctor Matthews
(Invalid img)

ftw

I SO WANT TO GO THERE!!!
They rejected my application though hahaha, maybe I'll apply again with my uni grades...
Quote by guitaro69
thanks Mighty Thor!!!!

Your throne awaits!

I'd give you a hug if i could, but i'm on the other side of the world, so i guess this is the best i can give
Keep tryin' for that transfer. As for the whole gf thing, you're not the only one...try and be patient (its hard, i know).
"Feelin' stupid? I know I am!"
-Homer Simpson

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first..."
-Kurt Cobain
Quote by mitythor666

Quote by Ignite

Once I got out of a pool and it was like 1cm.

Quote by Meths
I think there are few people with a less important opinion on women than you.
The best advice I can give you is twofold:

- Don't cry over the fact that you didn't have sufficient marks to go to Canada, and be happy to be in University because a lot of people have already dropped school at your age, doing shitty jobs with potentially awful coworkers and a bleak future ahead.

- Work your ass out in order to get the opportunity to move from your country to Europe, Canada or the USA. I suggest you stay focused on Canada by the way, never been there but I've heard it's awesome. Plus, if you are stuck with conservative Muslim girls, rest assured that any Western country will look like heaven to you. And dude, what's more motivating than the perspective of being around hot chicks that are anything but religiously conservative?
---

"L'esclave parfait est celui qui croit être libre."

---
Last edited by Astyan at Dec 3, 2009,
Forgive me for asking, but why are you in Bahrain (I'm gonna go ahead and guess that your location isn't a joke, and that you actually live there) if you don't speak the language? Did your family move there?

If it is at all possible, you should consider studying abroad - somewhere English-speaking and a little more liberal than where you currently live.

edit: looks like lots of people are saying "Canada", so keep trying at that. Heh, maybe try getting into Australia
Quote by kenan6346
Forgive me for asking, but why are you in Bahrain (I'm gonna go ahead and guess that your location isn't a joke, and that you actually live there) if you don't speak the language? Did your family move there?

If it is at all possible, you should consider studying abroad - somewhere English-speaking and a little more liberal than where you currently live.

edit: looks like lots of people are saying "Canada", so keep trying at that. Heh, maybe try getting into Australia

My family moved here 3 years ago, I didn't have a choice.

The last 2 years have been awesome, co I was going to a British school, and the people there were awesome, but now I mostly feel lonely.
Quote by guitaro69
thanks Mighty Thor!!!!

Your throne awaits!

Hmm... Well, you could start a band and take out your energy writing lyrics or music. You could socialize a bit. Read up on things, it helps. Or dedicate yourself to your studies and rape that shit!

Btw, where are you in Bahrain? I used to live in Saudi near Dammam so I came to Bahrain a few times, haha.
Page 1 of 2