Poll: Which guitar do you think is the cheapest/most expensive?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which guitar do you think is the cheapest/most expensive?
1 is the cheapest
26 35%
2 is the cheapest
14 19%
3 is the cheapest
14 19%
4 is the cheapest
8 11%
5 is the cheapest
2 3%
1 is the most expensive
0 0%
2 is the most expensive
13 18%
3 is the most expensive
10 14%
4 is the most expensive
4 5%
5 is the most expensive
41 55%
Voters: 74.
Just from looking at pictures, I noticed that to me, some guitars just look "cheap", whereas others look like high quality instruments. This has nothing to do with how ornate the guitar is. I'm not entirely sure what causes this. It could just be a placebo effect, so I decided to conduct a little experiment.

Which of these guitars do you think are the most, and least, expensive? I tried to find similar pictures. They are all different guitars.

Poll up shortly.

If you have any suggestions as to what makes some guitars look "cheap", please comment.
Going by the tremolos and painting, 3 and 5 look the most expensive.
The maple on 2 looks kinda cheap.
Quote by Reincaster
I once got shocked by a spider amp.

I got powers like spiderman did, except I model everyone else's powers poorly.

Quote by shredhead22
why not, i started using the zakk wylde boomers and now every third note i hit is a pinch harmonic

Quote by Popsai

Same
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
I though 1 was the cheapest, something about the look and colour of the tremolo through me off.

I was deliberating over 2 and 5 for the most expensive, but I think 5s trem unit is a MIA strat so I went with that.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
5th is the most expensive
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
i think its near impossible. they are all photoshopped/studio stock shots.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
1st is obviously cheapest and 5th is most expensive. The dark rosewood fretboard is that good quality stuff and it has the better 2 post trem. The paintjob is also a deeper red colour. The weird shinyness of the parts on the 1st one and the cheap looking fretboard is what makes me think.
Quote by Meths
I respect and value your opinion.

Just kidding. You're a fucking retard.

Quote by Pr0gNut
You want to strap a bunch of used mattresses to the walls?

Why not just roll around naked in medical waste while you're at it?

Quote by the_perdestrian
medical waste isn't free on craigslist
5 is the most expensive
4 is the cheapest

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by Popsai

+1

great idea for a thread, but the problem is that we're all such guitar geeks that we can infer what model it is from the trem etc. which kinda defeats the purpose
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
+1

great idea for a thread, but the problem is that we're all such guitar geeks that we can infer what model it is from the trem etc. which kinda defeats the purpose

Well, since the purpose has been defeated, I shall reveal the TRUE IDENTITIES! MOOHAHAHAHAHAHAH

1 = Squier Affinity
2 = Fender Mexican Standard
3 = Suhr Classic
4 = Squier Bullet
5 = Fender American Standard

3 is the most expensive, but it was unfair cos it's not a photoshopped stock photo.
The majority voted for 1 being the cheapest and 5 being the most expensive, which is interesting cos they were the second cheapest and second most expensive.

The cheapest one is probably shooped beyond belief, anyway.

Test failed.

EDIT: Well, I guess it does suggest that you can get some idea just by looking at it (shinyness factor?). Maybe I'll do this again some time with Les Pauls.
Last edited by sashki at Nov 29, 2009,
Quote by sashki

(shinyness factor?).
Not really, it's all in the bridges. Those with two-point bridges are bound to be more expensive as two-points are usually only found on guitars that are around the Fender American Standard quality or better. There are a few high-end Strats with six screw bridges, but not many.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Aw, give us a little more time before you reveal next time.
I had them all right, except that the bullet threw me for a loop (embarrassing, I know.)

Here's what I had, scout's honor, before I saw the giveaway:

At very first glance, what looked cheap, just from the color/photo quality:
Cheap to expensive:

What I think the prices actually are, cheap to expensive:
1 is a squier - single ply pickguard.
2 I think is a MIM.
4, has nicer saddles, not sure of the model.
5 has the giveaway double-post trem, MIA
3 is a suhr of some sort, based on the truss rod adjust at the base of the neck.
i thought 5 was the most expensive, and i wasn't convinced 3 was even a fender so i kind of assumed it was the cheapest. a fender wouldn't have the black hole between the end of the neck and the pickguard. BUT since the picture was taken in front of a pool ( ) i assumed it WASN'T all that cheap, and voted number 1 the cheapest. so i was probably closer than i should have been!
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Quote by sashki
Well, since the purpose has been defeated, I shall reveal the TRUE IDENTITIES! MOOHAHAHAHAHAHAH

1 = Squier Affinity
3 = Suhr Classic
4 = Squier Bullet

3 is the most expensive, but it was unfair cos it's not a photoshopped stock photo.
The majority voted for 1 being the cheapest and 5 being the most expensive, which is interesting cos they were the second cheapest and second most expensive.

Test failed.

EDIT: Well, I guess it does suggest that you can get some idea just by looking at it (shinyness factor?). Maybe I'll do this again some time with Les Pauls.

sweet, i was right. I didn't know one was a suhr, but i did identify the best ones. I also suspected 2 was an MIM standard.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I never guessed that 3 was a suhr! But then I guess the picture isn't the greatest

Even if it had been a studio photo of the Suhr I'm not sure it would have been that obvious - it does have the higher quality darker rosewood of No. 5 but with Suhrs with the more plain finishes it's more about the incredible playability.

EDIT: Oh god yes, I should have seen the truss rod at the top of the pick guard, you don't seem to see that on many guitars except suhrs for some reason.
Last edited by Notmewtwoguitar at Dec 1, 2009,
2 most expensive
1 cheapest.

I´m not THAT off.
The Maple fretboard looked gorgeous, so I went with that one.

1 looks cheap.

3´s pickguard is kinda suspicious due to the vintage trussrod.
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
Last edited by Dawnwalker at Dec 1, 2009,
Quote by sashki

1 = Squier Affinity
3 = Suhr Classic
4 = Squier Bullet

Test failed.

I got it right.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.