Okay so we all know most bass amps have a pad or a separate input for an active bass. My bass has passive pickups but has an active EQ. This is considered an active bass then. But when I play through a compressor I have to put the threshold to like -5 with the pad on and +5 without the pad on(it's a -10db pad). I play with the pad off so I get a lot more volume and it doesn't clip or anything. Mind that my active EQ on my bass is flat(I only use it for quick fixes during a song).

Does this mean I could play without the pad switch on on my Rumble 100 that I use for band practices with more volume?
Bass is my life.
Last edited by Greenday389 at Nov 29, 2009,
I'm not gonna lie...

I didn't understand much of what you just said.

What is a "bad" input?
What is a pad?
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
"Bad" was a typo. I meant pad.

My bass only has one battery therefor the pickups are passive because my EQ is active.
Bass is my life.
my bass is active pickups and active eq and it only uses one battery. doesent mean your conclusion is wrong but your logic is faulty ... .

okay you SHOULD use the pad at all times becuase you do have an active bass. the reason why your having to turn it off is because your compressor volume is so low your sorta using that as a pad before your amp. this is basicly sucking your tone and making you have to turn the pad off so you can hear yourself.

what you need to do is put the pad back on and then slowly boost the output of your compressor until its where it needs to be.
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
Quote by Greenday389
"Bad" was a typo. I meant pad.

My bass only has one battery therefor the pickups are passive because my EQ is active.

Wat? That just means it's a 9v system. It probably is an active pre with passive pups though...true active pups are somewhat rare on bass. Not unheard of by any means, but very few basses come from the factory like that. My schecter has two batteries but still has passive pups.

To answer your question, if nothing is clipping then you're probably fine running it into a non-padded input.
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Nov 30, 2009,
Quote by Emergancy Exit
my bass is active pickups and active eq and it only uses one battery. doesent mean your conclusion is wrong but your logic is faulty ... .

okay you SHOULD use the pad at all times becuase you do have an active bass. the reason why your having to turn it off is because your compressor volume is so low your sorta using that as a pad before your amp. this is basicly sucking your tone and making you have to turn the pad off so you can hear yourself.

what you need to do is put the pad back on and then slowly boost the output of your compressor until its where it needs to be.

Sorry, I guess my logic is faulty. However I googled it and Sr506s have passive soapbar humbuckers.

Also, my compressor doesn't have a volume of its own. It is a part of my Marcus Miller Pre-amp and my gain control is at 12 o'clock, pad off, and compressor's thresh hold at +5db. With the pad on I have to have my compressor activate at -5db of my signal.
Bass is my life.
Last edited by Greenday389 at Nov 30, 2009,
you should generally try to get as much signal to the amp as possable right now your using the compressor as a pad instead of the amp so your not getting all the signal you possibly could.

wait i just looked at the markus miller its not a pedal its a preamp ..

okay can you break down your setup from bass to speakers please? i need to know like if you have preamp in effects loop or if you doing liek a true rack setup with preamp>power amp and what pedals your using.
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
wheres the effects board in this?
SansAmp Bass driver DI
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
if its a multi fx i think what you should do is boost the effects board all the way and then you should clip and then turn on the pad and boost gain this will let you get a more agressive tone with more gain
SansAmp Bass driver DI
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
My preamp has an effects loop and I use single and double effects. No multi-effects boards.
Bass is my life.
yeah i would boost the output on the fx pedals.

active basses are supposed to have the extra db out output to clip the preamp and your supposed to use the pad to put the preamp "in the sweet spot" when you turn on that compressor it is liek a second pad meaning you have to turn your bass and your fx pedals up a little more. also why the gain at only 12? are you going for mellow sound?

with all that extra gain you might wanna boost the threshhold a little higher on the comp jsut play with it sounds like the compressor is sucking your tone it's supposed to level off your sound lowering too loud signals and making softer signals louder. so for instence making sure 1 string is not much louder then all the others or your G string is not much quiter then others. sounds to me like you have your compressor on OCD mode and it's making evrything quieter. generally when you turn your compressor on and evrything is softer thats basicly a bad thing cuz thats not what they are used for.

sorry if you knew all this already and it seems like im getting on to you, im not. it's your rig and you can do what you want and if you want to use a compressor like that then thats okay.

sorta in line with your original question active instruments should require you to use the pad because thier output should be much greater then a passive instrument becasue they have active gain booster preamps in them.
if the output is not greater then either its a faulty bass or it's settings. you can try plugging in a different active bass to see what the volume diffrence is if theres a signifagant diff then it's your bass if not it's settings. if the volume is dropping off that much when you turn on the comp then theres the issue it's squashing your tone like reading evrything as too loud and then loweing the volume too signifigantly this also reduces sustain.

agian not flaming you just kinda trying to explain how a compressor works and answering your original question that active instruments should make the amp BEG you to turn on the pad because the input difference should be that great compared to a passive bass.
SansAmp Bass driver DI
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
Actually the compressor isn't dropping my volume at all. I just use it to lighten any accidental peaks. As far as I know everything is working fine on my large rig but I'm just wondering about on my Rumble 100.
Bass is my life.
ehhh so what is your question again??
SansAmp Bass driver DI
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
well it should be fine but you will probably notice you cant turn the gain up as much as you would with the pad on
SansAmp Bass driver DI
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E