Page 1 of 2
I want to replace my pickups for EMG's but I don't know what passive ones I should get.

Does anyone has any suggestions?
HZ- H4 are the highest output...not very good for clean sounds unless u use a coil tap.
EMG HZ are basically the passive equivalent of the active 81's. I have them on one of my guitars and they're pretty good, I don't know any others though but for me they sound great.
None stand out. If you're after EMG's actives are what people mostly buy. There are far better brands for passive pickups.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Quote by Deep*Kick
None stand out. If you're after EMG's actives are what people mostly buy. There are far better brands for passive pickups.

By what he is saying, it sounds like he doesn't already have active pup's, so he would have to get someone to route a cavity in the back and all that other stuff.
R.I.P foREVer
If your a lucky guy you might be able to find some AXL EMG sig pickups, which are awesome passives, but really hard to find since they only made them for the AXL guitars.

But if your going to waste your money on passive EMGS then spend a little bit more and get some Barenuckle pickups.
Quote by Killswitch94
By what he is saying, it sounds like he doesn't already have active pup's, so he would have to get someone to route a cavity in the back and all that other stuff.

He's looking for passives. What the other guy is saying is that most sensible people don't go to EMG for passive pickups. the actives are the shining star. He's basically saying don't bother with EMG passives. There are much better brands. And I agree with him. Consider Dimarzio or Seymour Duncan.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']He's looking for passives. What the other guy is saying is that most sensible people don't go to EMG for passive pickups. the actives are the shining star. He's basically saying don't bother with EMG passives. There are much better brands. And I agree with him. Consider Dimarzio or Seymour Duncan.
Yeah, i knew what he meant, i thought the other guy was trying to say just get the active's so i was trying to explain to him what he would have to do. Put yeah, the passives are nowhere near the actives, but there not terrible either.
R.I.P foREVer
You don't even have to do any routing for actives, honestly where do people get this idea. 90% of the time, a 9v battery will fit.

But yeah EMG passives aren't anything special. Go for SD or dimarzio.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Agreed, EMG passives are mediocre. There are far better passives.

If you want to drop tune and play metal/etc, DiMarzio D-Activators, D-Sonic, or the Duncan Custom SH-6 and the Distortion SH-6 set will you do just fine.
LTD MH-250NT (With EMG 81/85)
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
Quote by Blckspawn
So then what should I get?

First ask yourself this:

What do you want to improve?
What is your amplifier?
What music direction are you after?
What bands could you mention for a sound similar to what you want?
What is your budget?

With that, we can recommend a lot more accurate rather than having you hear personal opinions on pickups.
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
Quote by Killswitch94

no he wouldnt, the battery will fit under the pickup.
Quote by pedroskins
Is H-H a type of EMG?

No it's a term for pickup layout. In this case H = humbucker, so it's a humbucker in the bridge and in the neck. Of course it could also mean a humbucker in bridge and middle in certain cases but generally it is bridge and neck position.
Quote by RR787
First ask yourself this:

What do you want to improve?
What is your amplifier?
What music direction are you after?
What bands could you mention for a sound similar to what you want?
What is your budget?

With that, we can recommend a lot more accurate rather than having you hear personal opinions on pickups.

1) I want to improve the sound of my solos and give a better sound heavier sound.
2) I have a Roland Cube 15x
3) I'm not sure what you mean.
4) Megadeth, Lamb of God, Dethklok
5) $200 or so.

I'm getting some money and I can either get a new Guitar, a new Amp, or Pickups for my existing guitar. I'm not quite sure what to get.
Quote by Banana Wedgie
Then get Seymour Duncans.

2 of 3 of those bands use them, not sure about Dethkolk...

which ones tho?

and can i put active pickups in a non active guitar?
Yes, but you may have to get a cavity routed.

Dave Mustaine used to use Seymour Duncans, now he has his signature Dean pickups, which, knowing Dean, are amazing pickups usualy put in horrible guitars.
Will Adler uses a JB and a '59

ACTIVES
Blackouts and Livewire.

PASSIVE
Well if its just distortion go for Invaders, Duncan Distortion, Dimebucker....
The list goes on for days.

Not alot of people have this option, but search for Bareknuckle pickups. Every guitar shop near me sells them, but thats because I'm in England...
Last edited by Banana Wedgie at Nov 30, 2009,
Just being me, one of the few UGers who doesn't like the Roland Cube series, I'd suggest getting a new amp, personally.
But $200 won't get you much farther.

Dave Mustaine used Seymour Duncan TB4/SH4 pickups in his Y2KVs until his injury in 2002, and then used Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz in his ESP DV8 when he came back, but his Dean VMNT and Zero have his signature Seymour Duncan Livewire active pickups.

Mark Morton uses Seymour Duncan '59s in his Jackson Dominion, and had a '59/'59 set in his Jackson Randy Rhodes V at the Orlando Hard Rock Hotel.

Brenden Small uses EMG's 81X and 85X active pickups in his Gibson Explorers.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
Quote by Justice4AllOne
Just being me, one of the few UGers who doesn't like the Roland Cube series, I'd suggest getting a new amp, personally.
But $200 won't get you much farther.

I semi agree. You can get a decent tone of a the cube. Its just not easy.
Quote by Banana Wedgie
Yes, but you may have to get a cavity routed.

Dave Mustaine used to use Seymour Duncans, now he has his signature Dean pickups, which, knowing Dean, are amazing pickups usualy put in horrible guitars.
Will Adler uses a JB and a '59

ACTIVES
Blackouts and Livewire.

PASSIVE
Well if its just distortion go for Invaders, Duncan Distortion, Dimebucker....
The list goes on for days.

Not alot of people have this option, but search for Bareknuckle pickups. Every guitar shop near me sells them, but thats because I'm in England...

If i get the active pickups will the guitar shop do that for me or will I have to do that?

And what do you mean if its just for distortion?
Quote by Banana Wedgie

Sorry Wedgie, but Dave's still using Seymour Duncan. He uses Seymour Duncan Dave Mustaine Signature Livewire active pickups.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo

Quote by oneblackened
Yep. I pretty much listed what Dave has been using since Killing Is My Business... And Business Is Good!. He's been pretty consistent with his use of Seymour Duncan pickups, although I do believe on Metallica's No Life Til Leather, he used a stock BC Rich Bich 10, though I might be wrong. The list I have starts with KIMB. But I'm pretty sure he started using Seymour Duncan pickups when he started using Jackson King Vs (he modified all of his King Vs to have Seymour Duncan pickups before he got his signature Y2KV).

His Livewires are made to intentionally sound similar to the JB and Jazz pickups he used to use. Why he doesn't still use them, I don't know.
Here's some more information for you.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem

Quote by MightySumo

Quote by oneblackened
Last edited by Justice4AllOne at Nov 30, 2009,
Quote by Banana Wedgie
You megadeth/metallica nerd!!!!
=P

I don't deny this at all, actually. I fukkin love Megadeth and Metallica. I'm seeing Megadeth in a week, and I saw Metallica last year. Also saw Trans-Siberian Orchestra just because Al Pitreli used to be in Megadeth and Savatage.

Lol.

Also, if you were using the low-end Dave Mustaine Deans, they used passive Dean humbuckers, which are pretty shitty. The $999 primer silver one, the Dean Zero (his Explorer), the Angel of Deth, Gears of War, and Rust In Peace all have Dave's signature pickups though. And they're all $999 or more. Lol.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem

Quote by MightySumo

Quote by oneblackened
Last edited by Justice4AllOne at Nov 30, 2009,
Well it Megadeth and Metallica are two really good bands, but how about this:

If i get the active pickups will the guitar shop route it for me or will I have to do that?

And what do you mean if its just for distortion?
Quote by Blckspawn
1) I want to improve the sound of my solos and give a better sound heavier sound.
2) I have a Roland Cube 15x
3) I'm not sure what you mean.
4) Megadeth, Lamb of God, Dethklok
5) $200 or so.

I'm getting some money and I can either get a new Guitar, a new Amp, or Pickups for my existing guitar. I'm not quite sure what to get.

Then don't waste yor money on pickups, because they won't do what you're hoping they'll do.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Then don't waste yor money on pickups, because they won't do what you're hoping they'll do.

So then, what should I do?
Some active pickups do require a bigger cavity, but I wouldn't recommend getting active pickups in a Cube 15. Personally, if I were you, I'd go for Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz.

But yeah, my BC Rich with EMGs was routed at the shop. It'll cost extra, provided the shop has a competent tech with a routing saw. But he only had to route for my single coils. You should be fine with the humbuckers. If you have a soldering iron, you could rewire your new pickups yourself with relative ease.

But as I said before, I'd sooner get a new amp.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem

Quote by MightySumo

Quote by oneblackened
Quote by Justice4AllOne
Some active pickups do require a bigger cavity, but I wouldn't recommend getting active pickups in a Cube 15. Personally, if I were you, I'd go for Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz.

But yeah, my BC Rich with EMGs was routed at the shop. It'll cost extra, provided the shop has a competent tech with a routing saw. But he only had to route for my single coils. You should be fine with the humbuckers. If you have a soldering iron, you could rewire your new pickups yourself with relative ease.

But as I said before, I'd sooner get a new amp.

ok, so what kind of amp would you recommend?
Quote by azn_guitarist25
No it's a term for pickup layout. In this case H = humbucker, so it's a humbucker in the bridge and in the neck. Of course it could also mean a humbucker in bridge and middle in certain cases but generally it is bridge and neck position.

That's what I thought, but when I looked up the pickups for a guitar it just said H-H. So I am kinda lost about that
Quote by Blckspawn
So then, what should I do?

save up a lot more money. atleast about $400-$500 and look for a good used amp.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by ethan_hanus
If your a lucky guy you might be able to find some AXL EMG sig pickups, which are awesome passives, but really hard to find since they only made them for the AXL guitars.

But if your going to waste your money on passive EMGS then spend a little bit more and get some Barenuckle pickups.

They actually just released his signature set.

http://www.emginc.com/products/index/223
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
Quote by kranoscorp
They actually just released his signature set.

http://www.emginc.com/products/index/223

That's not what he means.
He means AXL, the guitar company. They use EMG designed pickups in some of their guitars that you can't get without buying an AXL guitar, such as this.

To the TS, I'd suggest you save about $600 or $700, that could get you a used Marshall JCM900.
You could also get a used Randall RM20, and you could use the rest for one of their high gain tube preamps. I'd suggest the KH2 (Kirk Hammett signature rhythm preamp), KH3 (Kirk Hammett signature lead preamp), 1086 (Dan Donegan signature preamp), JTM (Marshall JTM45 preamp), SL+ ('hot rodded' Marshall Super Lead preamp), or the Plexi (Marshall Plexi preamp). All of those are under $300.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem

Quote by MightySumo

Quote by oneblackened
Quote by Justice4AllOne
Yep. I pretty much listed what Dave has been using since Killing Is My Business... And Business Is Good!

KNOW THIS LADIES!!! KILLIN' IS MY BID'NESS, AND BID'NESS IS GOOOODDD!!!
Oh jeez Vic, you made me laugh so hard in the middle of my art class. Now everyone's staring. Thanks bro.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem

Quote by MightySumo

Quote by oneblackened
Quote by Justice4AllOne
Oh jeez Vic, you made me laugh so hard in the middle of my art class. Now everyone's staring. Thanks bro.

I do that sometimes.
Page 1 of 2