Lately I've been trying to find my voice in lyric writing and I'm having a lot of trouble, but one thing that I noticed while listening to more music is that I can no longer stand personal pronouns like I, you, he, she, me etc. Most poetry is not written in this way, most good poetry that I have read is not a vague me/you story or feelings, so why are so many songs written this way? So I'm wondering if anyone else shares my dislike for "I (verb) you" lyrics being overused in pop music?
I dont like pop music either, and i hate vague lyrics, however sometimes pronouns are needed and the vagueness they provide that goes along with it, for example i cant sing an i love veronica song, to a girl whose name is melanie...however the format I verb You, is pretty anoying, when i write songs i mix and match other pronouns like:
instead of "i found you,and now im sleeping with you", i write: i have been given the blessing of finding your body next to mine, time after time. sounds pretty lame but its more original than the "i verb you" format
Take a lesson from the Grunge era and replace people with something else. Example:

You saved me ---> An angel for a fall
She says she hates me ---> Sludge cast on the name

Plaid Jackets and Ripped Jeans, baby.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Well most pop music is a "lyric" in the poetic sense. I think you'll find that most lyrical poetry is full of pronouns, particularly "I".

It's easy enough to substitute nouns for the other pronouns, but the authorial "I" isn't something most songwriters can or should want to get rid of. You have a character speaking in the poem, even if the poem isn't about the person singing, and audiences are going to relate to that figure before all others and project themselves on to him. You don't need to attach a flag to that speaker with an "I," but it can certainly help audiences along if you do. I think the same is true with "you" to a lesser extent. It lets them pretend that the song addresses whoever they'd like it to address and they can get more into it.

If there's a concrete story behind it all, there's no shame in breaking those pronouns out. I think, just as some folks overdo the pronouns, we all get equally burnt out on "story-teller" songs where the names are forced onto the characters and it doesn't sound natural or smooth, so you can see how people in other genres often take it to far in the opposite direction.
ya dude i alway try to keep pronouns out of my songs.

if i wanna say--
"i love smokin weed all day long"

then ill take the "i" out and it makes it sound sooo much better
"love smokin weed all day long"

it also makes the song vague.. like that could be describing me, or a group of people, or you, or someone else.

yea i agree with man
I have been thinking the same thing. Way to many first and second person pronouns in particular. I, you, me, my, your. The song that first inspired my distaste was "Second Chance" by Shinedown.

Tell my mother,
Tell my father
I've done the best I can
To make them realize
This is my life
I hope they understand
I'm not angry, I'm just saying...
Sometimes goodbye is a second chance

Looking at some of Shinedown's other songs, they are a repeat offender of this. It's not just the pronouns, but these chains of phrases that form these stupid sentences. It seems very lazy and meaningless. The more I think about it, it seems particularly prevalent in hard rock in the last 20 years. (Live- "I alone love you, I alone tempt you"). Shit, I just thought about "I wanna hold your hand"! Every other word is I or You.
I know this is a super old thread, but I had been thinking about this and found this thread as a way to vent.
Welp, at least it is a place to vent, even if it is much older now and everyone has probably long forgotten about it

But in any event, I don't mind the excessive use of pronouns, simply because the very usage dictates a more personal song or story. Without them, the song does not hold much more meaning than just a bland expression with it (Sorry if this very post messes with the venting at all due to excessive use of pronouns) At least, personally, lack of pronouns is much stranger than abuse or overuse of them heh

-Sharky
I think you have a good point but also it's awfully hard to do isn't it? I was just thinking and though most of my songs use the pronouns "she" and "he" instead of "I" or "you" I can't really think of a way to write a song about a person without pronouns.