hi ive got my first gig on new years eve at a restaurant party night
we've got a vocalist/bassist/keyboardist, lead guitarist/vocals, rhythm guitarist and drummer
any advice for us?
cheers
Take it easy and have fun man! That's the best advice I can give.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
1. HAVE FUN WITH IT
2. Don't let nerves take over, they're good but manage them because if you let them take over, you'll start playing a lot worse and rushing your music.
3. If one of you messes up, don't worry about it. Chances are that no one noticed and if someone did, laugh it off and play through it. Keep up a positive atmosphere. (Unless you're death metal. Than you should punch something haha)
4. Seriously, have fun with it, and I wish you guys the best of luck.
lol ok
any advice on how to set up our gear?
or how loud to be and stuff?
we have a 400w PA, 150w bogey guitar amp, 30w kustom bass
cheers
as mentioned above, have fun thats what it´s all about, that´s what people seem to forget. Well be nice, easy to deal with ... say hello to the crowd when you come up and say thx goodbye when you leave ... don´t talk too much during songs and you should if possible stick to the time schedule. Personally I made all possible mistakes when I was 15 for example yelling at the crowd to clap their hands better I learned from my mistakes
Quote by angryhippiesinc
Personally I made all possible mistakes when I was 15 for example yelling at the crowd to clap their hands better I learned from my mistakes

lol, don't think that'll work at ours either
Quote by 09phillt
lol ok
cheers

Set up your amps on each sides of the drummer, keep the volume at about the normal band practice level and the sound guy will take care of it (Unless you're not micing the amps, in which case, you might sound pretty bad.)
Quote by editthesadparts
Set up your amps on each sides of the drummer, keep the volume at about the normal band practice level and the sound guy will take care of it (Unless you're not micing the amps, in which case, you might sound pretty bad.)

no we're not micing them, but isnt 150w and 30w bass loud enough?
If youre micing, then it doesnt really matter. Just do what editthesadparts told you, and the soundman will take care of the sound. If you cant hear yourself or anything, tell him to put in some more vocals or guitar or whatever in the monitors. After the soundcheck have a cou8ple of beers, and then just have fun. You will grow to love giging really soon. Altough there are always bad gigs, and dont be discouraged if it sux.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Quote by 09phillt
no we're not micing them, but isnt 150w and 30w bass loud enough?

You'll definately need to mic the bass amp, or alternatively run it into the PA directly. 30 watts is not enough for a bass amp to be unmiced playing live. A 30 watter would be more appropriate for playing quietly in your bedroom.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by corrda00
Don't think of it as a gig when your up there. You're just jammin with some buddies and just happens that some people are watching. Just have fun with it man.

Definately don't do this...would you enjoy watching a band that looked bored and didn't seem to care about the audience?
My name is Danny. Call me that.
Quote by 09phillt
lol ok
cheers

Go to the columns and look up the guide to PA (3 parts so far) which will give you plenty of tips. 30W bass isn't really enough to match the drums and 150W is more than enough for guitar. Bass through the PA is definitely one option. Use the effects out on your amp if you have one.

Make sure you have at least one rehearsal with the gear set up as you will have it at the gig so you don't have to sort out any problems in public.

I'll be happy to answer any questions on the technical side.

In the end though the advice once you start playing is to enjoy yourselves.
don't get pissed till after the show!
guitar definately load enough the bass amp will need DIing oryou gunna have to play much quieter
try not to be too loud as a lot of people are there to party not to listen your songs

casually talk to the audience the usual " are you having a good time" stuff
but mainly enjoy it
Gear
Ibanez SAS32EXFM White
Epiphone SG G400 White
Line 6 Flextone III+
Line 6 Spider III 120 (for sale £90)
have someone you know has a good ear listen to you warm up from different parts of the room... that way you can adjust the levels before you really start. Doing it from different parts of the room ensures that the crowd hears exactly what you want them to no matter where they're sitting. Think about directionality of the amps and PA.

my first gig was when i was 13 at a teen night at a club in a shady area. I'd murder to play new years at a restaurant. Congrats and good luck (i'm sure you won't need it)
thanks
but about the bass amp will the speakers be able to handle the bass?
its just cos a guitar salesman i talked to said that they wouldnt a while ago
just to make sure
Good luck, have fun!
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles